PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember the game "Masterpiece"?

AttachedMamma
10-26-2006, 06:16 AM
You know--that art auction game from the 70's? (I'm dating myself :O)

DD loves games and I was wondering how to incorporate art into her day in this manner. She's 6 and I think it's for older ages, but she could still learn something from it. (Art, negotiating, math... :grin)

So what do you think? :-)

cindi

ranade3
10-26-2006, 07:02 AM
I have that game! And yes I think it would be great to use it that way. We played it as kids in the 70's too but our original game is gone and then someone was cleaning out their game cupboard and we have it again. You'll have to let us know how this works with your dd. I know the last time I played it I played it with a 10 and 13 year old.

Leslie
10-26-2006, 05:45 PM
We've done that. But most of the art that came with the game were too modern for our taste, and I had a pretty clear idea of what kind of images I wanted stamped into my kids' memories. So I took out some of the art they included and replaced them with art postcards (I cut them down to be the same size as the Masterpiece cards). I tried to get samples from different artists - Van Gogh, Sargent, Delacroix, Bouguereau, Raphael, Manet, Whistler, etc. We still play it sometimes, and the kids all have their favorite paintings in the collection.

Carrie in PA
10-26-2006, 08:52 PM
:tu I did the same thing as Leslie! (Hi, Leslie! :) ) We got some postcard-sized art prints when we visited the art museum. Also, printing some off the internet and putting them on cardstock works. They remember art they have seen in Masterpiece. I think it's a great way to learn to appreciate art and work on math skills at the same time.

Singingmom
10-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Dover has lots of art stickers that I plan on using to make games. So far the only one I can come up with is memory. What else would you do with these in the style of the Masterpiece game?

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?follow-pro=1&vwcatalog=doverpublications&catalog=doverpublications&query=sticker,%20art

AttachedMamma
10-27-2006, 11:49 AM
We've done that. But most of the art that came with the game were too modern for our taste

I thought it did have Van Gogh and similar artists. :scratch Did they re-vamp the game with modern-day art?

I love the idea of the postcards! :tu

cindi

Leslie
10-27-2006, 03:02 PM
I thought it did have Van Gogh and similar artists. :scratch Did they re-vamp the game with modern-day art?

No, they did have some that we kept. But we took out a good number that we didn't like and replaced them, and we added others, so we have more cards than the game came with, but not so many that the game is tediously long - the game is over when the paintings are all bid for.

tempus vernum
10-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Great thread! WHere do you buy postcard sized art for reasonable prices? I am seriously considering those stickers linked too but I have no clue how to make sure I get a variety of well rounded "art" :think.

What exactly is masterpiece the game - can you make it yourself?

Singingmom
10-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Great thread! WHere do you buy postcard sized art for reasonable prices? I am seriously considering those stickers linked too but I have no clue how to make sure I get a variety of well rounded "art" :think.

I've been putting off buying them for the same reason. Which are the ten most important artists for us to be familiar with? Opinions?

Stonebeck Farm
10-28-2006, 04:33 AM
I've been saving that game for my kids. My oldest is finally getting ready for it! :cool

It is wild that other moms still have this game. I thought I was the only one who still has her games from when she was little. :D

We also have a really cool art game a friend got for us in Paris. All the famous impressionists. You have to collect all the art for each artist- played somewhat like goldfish meets rummy. The most fun is that it is all in French! Thankfully there are color strips on each side so my kids can just ask for the colors rather than the names of the paintings. We figure we'll save that for when they are a little older and are reading.

tempus vernum
10-28-2006, 07:11 AM

I've been putting off buying them for the same reason. Which are the ten most important artists for us to be familiar with? Opinions?

Last night, I stumbled onto onto the fact that Rainbow Resource has art postcards :tu for reasonable prices. I also requested the book "The Annotated Mona Lisa: A Crash Course in Art History From Prehistoric to Post-Modern" by Carol Strickland from the libarry. It was recommended by someone here for people that know little to nothing about art in an OLD OLD thread. I was searching around on here after I posted :tu I am going to use this to build a library of postcards :mrgreen

Maggie
10-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Masterpiece is a great game!!!!

Leslie
10-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Which are the ten most important artists for us to be familiar with? Opinions?

From the ones that Ambleside Online does, I'd say these would be a good start:

Winslow Homer
Michelangelo
Jan Vermeer - The Milkmaid
JMW Turner
Leonardo Da Vinci
Rembrandt
Van Gogh
Raphael
Monet
Renoir
Reubens

Singingmom
10-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks, Leslie. I'm glad to see I've introduced most of those, but there are a few I've not even heard of.

AttachedMamma
10-29-2006, 11:12 AM
I would guess that you could buy postcard size art pieces at the art museum gift shop, but they could be pricey.

cindi