PDA

View Full Version : Bonfire party! IRL!

Iarwain
10-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Our local birth and parenting group is having a real bonfire party at which the plan is to use any available copies of Babywise as fire starter! Anyway, had to share. I know it's something many have thought of or wanted to do.

CelticJourney
10-25-2006, 06:21 PM
:mrgreen

joyful mama
10-25-2006, 06:26 PM
:highfive :tu

at home momma
10-25-2006, 08:00 PM
As much as I hate Babywise and it's recommendations, I have serious issues with burning books.
I could not support such an action. If you don't want to read it and don't want others to have it, just throw your copy in the garbage.

at home momma

Iarwain
10-25-2006, 08:12 PM
As much as I hate Babywise and it's recommendations, I have serious issues with burning books.
I could not support such an action. If you don't want to read it and don't want others to have it, just throw your copy in the garbage.

at home momma
:scratch

Is it because of the past association with censorship? 'Cause that's not what this is about.

CelticJourney
10-26-2006, 05:26 AM
I have serious issues with burning books. I could not support such an action. If you don't want to read it and don't want others to have it, just throw your copy in the garbage.

What's the difference? Honestly. I see none at all. We are talking about books that have truely abusive, dangerous advice. They are not talking about gathering other people's personal property or library books. They have paid for them and can do whatever they like with them. Kindling is the ONLY use for Babywise that I know of.

Larwain - I'll be with you all there in spirit!

2inHeaven2inMontana
10-26-2006, 08:55 AM
:tu :tu that's great

Treenahurricane
10-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Wish I could be there and contribute! LOL

at home momma
10-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Yes a lot of it has to do with censorship and the fact that the first ammendment gives us the right to say (write) what we please, no matter how much someone else disagrees with it.

I wouldn't have so much of an issue with ONE person saying "i won't have this garbage in my house" and burning it, as I would with a huge 'book burning' party.

at home momma

Carrie in PA
10-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Yes a lot of it has to do with censorship and the fact that the first ammendment gives us the right to say (write) what we please, no matter how much someone else disagrees with it.

I wouldn't have so much of an issue with ONE person saying "i won't have this garbage in my house" and burning it, as I would with a huge 'book burning' party.

at home momma

Yeah, but it doesn't give them the right to be heard and accepted, just to say what they want. And people are free to do what they want with their own personal property. I might have a problem with this being an advertised Book Burning Party featuring Babywise as kindling, in order to make a public statement. It doesn't sounds like that is the case, and if I were there I'd be happy to throw my copy of BW on the fire. And, I agree...what's the difference between burning it or throwing it in the garbage to either be incinerated (burned) or rot away in a landfill (both very good places for it to be, IMO!). :shrug

at home momma
10-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Perhaps so. I didn't mean to upset or offend anyone
I'll bow out now. :)
at home momma

Aisling
10-26-2006, 09:10 PM
Burn, baby, BURN! :mrgreen

(did I just type that? I think I did :shifty)

Rabbit
10-26-2006, 09:32 PM
I think it's just cathartic for moms who have been damaged by the book, rather like burning an ex's picture.

-Natalie

Carrie in PA
10-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Perhaps so. I didn't mean to upset or offend anyone
I'll bow out now. :)
at home momma

You didn't offend anyone. :hug

I read Farenheit 451...I know where you're coming from! ;) This is just a different situation.

Six Little Feet
10-27-2006, 07:39 AM
I think it's just cathartic for moms who have been damaged by the book, rather like burning an ex's picture.

-Natalie

:yes

Iarwain
10-27-2006, 08:24 AM

-Natalie

Also for those who fight the damage it does and hear the stories. This is a group of mothers and childbirth professionals - some of whom get to watch in horror as babies suffer or help mothers put the pieces back together once they realize what they've done.