PDA

View Full Version : I'm Meeting With My Library

QuiltinGramma
10-24-2006, 01:13 PM
I was walking past the library this morning and on a whim decided to find out if they have any of Ezzo's or Pearl's books. Lo and behold, they had one of each. Soooooooooooo, after talking with the head librarian, I checked out TTUAC (BW was checked out) and a protest form. Now I have to sit down and write up why TTUAC should not be in our town library.

The questions on the form are this:
1. Specific objections to material
2. Do you feel this material negatively impacts a certain group (age, race, sex, belief)? Please explain.
3. What percentage of this material have you read/viewed? To make my stand more credible...I feel I'm going to have to read the whole book. :sick KWIM?
4. What do you think is the author's theme and purpose?
5. What action would you like to see the Library Board take regarding this material?
You should be aware that certain materials have been selected to provide a comprehensive, accessible, balanced collection. What replacement materials, with substantially the same information, would you recommend?
I will have opportunity to talk to the board after they have reviewed my request and the book. :nails So I am needing your help. I know there are numerous places where this book has been discussed and I will try and find them but if you know where these links are located please post the link here. If you have any other information you would like to give me that might help me that relates to these questions, I would greatly appreciate your response.

I am unnerved somewhat about doing this but the good thing is we are a small town and I will probably know most of the board, so that will make things a little easier, I think. Anyway, I would appreciate any help you'd like to give me. Also, if you have answers to any of those questions concerning Ezzo's BW you might as well send them to me also because I will tackle BW also. If the book gets back in time, I'll try to read it before the Library Board meeting and do both at the same time. The Board meeting is set for November 16.

Thanks in advance
And I'm off to search the topics
:heart

Amber
10-24-2006, 03:45 PM
I don't have any advice since I have never read those books I just wanted to say...

GO MOM!! GET 'EM!!! :highfive

katiekind
10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Way to go, QuiltinGramma. I think that you will find many reasons as you go through the book. I would think for a public library situation, it might be best to make your case from the contents of the book...rather than the weird theology behind it, for instance.

I think one of items from the book that most normal people will find appalling is the description of Debi Pearl as she instructs a friend by repeatedly whacking her friend's two year old with a plastic toy. Hard, and then harder and harder. She did this in order to show how she would stop the two year old from whacking her (Debi) with his plastic toy, which he had done.

Obviously there's other, better ways to handle that, and I think 95% of the general public would agree and find it to be an atrocious example to include in a book on parenting.

. Do you feel this material negatively impacts a certain group (age, race, sex, belief)? Please explain.

One thing I pointed out to some homeschooling conference organizers when I tried to get them to change their mind about inviting the Pearls to speak was that while mature parents can sort out the good from the bad in a book like this (and there IS some good), mature parents probably don't need this kind of parenting instruction book. It is immature and inexperienced parents, often from very dysfunctional family backgrounds themselves, who want to be told "do exact this" in parenting. And unfortunately, they are at risk because they don't know what normal is like, so they can't tell when the Pearls go over the line. They don't know when they themselves have crossed the line--which sadly enough, some do, believing themselves to be following the "good" advice in this book.

I bet they will pay attention to you. :pray

mom2threePKs
10-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Good Luck!!!!!!

I think you will have no problem getting TTUAC out of the library. Kathy's point about mature vs immature parents is excellent but really the book and its examples speak for themselves. :sick2

I'm intrigued by the library's request for alternative books. That could be a really cool way to get better books on the shelves. I attended a library board meeting after hearing they'd gotten ahuge grant for parenting and child development books. The list they'd published of books they were going to buy didn't include ANYTHING on breastfeeding. So our local bfing coalition got together with LLL and put together a wish list of books to add to the list. They bought 8 copies of every book on the list from our local LLL group. Our group made $250 on the book sales alone!!!!! And we got really great books into the library system.

Magan

QuiltinGramma
10-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Kathy & Magan.......and it's always great having DD's support !!

Having immature or disfunctional parents read Pearl or Ezzo is a main concern of mine. I met a lady today at Bible Study who is due the first part of December with her first child......first time parents are also a concern.

Our library is very small and they don't get much in the area of funding. Most of the books are donated......I may need/want to donate a book or two if I can find them on sale.

Wonder Woman
10-25-2006, 02:10 AM
:rockon Bobbie! I agree that it was probably donated...unfortunately we're not the only ones aware of that strategy :shifty

I'd also be sure to point out the quote about him tripping his daughter into the pond.

Also, since this is a secular library and I imagine they are subject to all sorts of regulations regarding inflammatory or hate literature - his constant references to "pantywaists" "s*domites* etc might be worth a mention... :think

MarynMunchkins
10-25-2006, 04:47 AM
There's a letter I wrote my pastor with concerns about the Pearls in general in the Resources sticky. :) Feel free to use it!

katiekind
10-25-2006, 07:19 AM
The thing is that some of the most egregious examples are not in the book but come from other Pearl literature. But you'll sort that out as you go through the book I'm sure.

QuiltinGramma
10-25-2006, 09:27 AM
Is there a place where I can look up these other examples just to testify to the tactics they use and why none of their books should be in the library?

Thanks Mary, I'll go check it out.

mwwr
10-25-2006, 11:46 AM
I am going to be closing my LLL group when I move, so let me know what donations you might be interested in. It would give our group a worthy project. :D

QuiltinGramma
10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
WoW !! Okay.....
When I go back to the library I see what sort of books they could use and get back with you. It might be that we could find them online cheaper (Half.com, Amazon, Albris, etc.) than through a bookstore.
Better go and start reading.

glassangel
10-25-2006, 04:01 PM
No advice - just wanted to say :highfive good on ya!

TulipMama
10-27-2006, 06:41 PM
You should be aware that certain materials have been selected to provide a comprehensive, accessible, balanced collection. What replacement materials, with substantially the same information, would you recommend?

Remember. . . Librarians are likely not as attuned to the nuances of the Evangelical subculture as those of us within it are.

So, the materials by Michael Pearl and Gary Ezzo represent a "conservative Christian point of view."

You know who else does? With "essentially" the same materia :eyebrow (ie, parenting ideas (supposedly) based on the Bible)?

Clay Clarkson
Jeff Von Vonderan
Ross Campbell
Crystal Lutton
William Sears
Tim Kimmel
Grace Chou

So, while these are "essentially" different to us, ie, not based on punishment and not leading to potential abuse, they are "essentially" from and for the same subculture as Ezzo/Pearl.

Beauty4Ashes
11-13-2006, 11:04 AM
QuiltinGramma, go to www.addall.com if you want to buy alternative books to Pearl/Babywise. I have looked and you can find all kinds of books for a fraction of the cost of what amazon.com or regular bookstores would charge. Would it help your case any to mention that little child who was killed by people using the Pearl's methods? Also, google "Why not train up a child" and you will find TTUAC on line free of charge, plus rebuttals to it. A gcm mommy has that site.

QuiltinGramma
11-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Yes...I am mentioning Sean Paddock.
I do have the 'why not train' site.
And "yes" your addall.com site will be very helpful.
I didn't know about that book site, so I need to add it to my bookmarks now.
Thank you for all your helpful insights.

I think I'm going to wait until January to meet with the library board.
This month has been too hectic and next month is completely out.
I think starting off the new year with getting rid of the old and bringing in the new would be just the thing.
I think that I'll check out Ezzo's book and renew this one and hopefully no one will be able to have access to them between now and then. :grin

hsgbdmama
11-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Having immature or disfunctional parents read Pearl or Ezzo is a main concern of mine. I met a lady today at Bible Study who is due the first part of December with her first child......first time parents are also a concern.

That is exactly it -- I am a member of another board where one mom said they turned to Pearl as new, inexperienced parents -- and with titles such as "To Train Up a Child" and "Raising Kids God's Way" it makes it sound okay. :bheart

I second staying away from their flawed theology, and would focus on the potential harm that can be done to children (maybe find your state's child abuse laws and match it up?).

* Advice to switch babies as young as 4 mos old
* The long car ride with M. Pearl where a little toddler (2 years old?) was taken and spanked every few miles
* D. Pearl hitting another person's child (contradicts their teaching that only the parents should spank)
* Their reference to whippings (at least 5 times)
* The teaching to hold the child down and whip him or her, and if they cry or try to get away, give them additional whips for that

With Ezzo -- go to ezzo.info and find the professional condemnations of their advice (i.e., the AAP advice on FTT for babies on the scheduled feedings). Perhaps too stress Ezzo's removal from leadership positions, and how he simply repackages his stuff when he comes under criticism.

:hug to you for doing this!