PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about pulling DD out of school

Gentle Journey
10-14-2006, 01:24 PM
d

The Tickle Momster
10-14-2006, 01:40 PM
:hug2 Making a decision like this must be hard. I understand about enjoying having the younger 2 to yourself. I often find I enjoy my kids more if only 2 of them are around (although, I'd love to be blessed with one more). As for teaching her w/ a 3 y/o & baby, we're doing that here. For now, the ds3 is sitting in & participating in everything. If he is not interested, he is welcome to go play with toys. TBH, the only thing I really have structured is math. We use Saxon and the K level is mostly exploring the manipulatives and getting them a foundation for the next steps. Very easy, very repetitive, but it works for us. And, I think ds3 will be able to keep up w/sis. As for the rest, it is only K. We are very laid back, but dd can find places we've talked about on the map, can read (a huge help), and is excited to start our more structured program. I'm hoping to start My Father's World with her soon.

As for extracurricular activites being costly, I totally understand. Maybe there is a hs group near you. We pick & choose activites based on cost and location needs for our family. Sometimes that means we don't go with the group. gym class? we go to the park or in the back yard. We also get together with another hs family once a week and sometimes we play big group games like mother may i, or red light greenlight. I hope this helps you some. Another inexpensive option for youmight be Five in a Row.

Got more ?s pm me or ask em here. I'm sure you'll get good advice.

Gentle Journey
10-14-2006, 02:18 PM
d

Leslie
10-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Has she made a lot of progress in school - I mean, with number recognition and reading? If not, you might just attribute it to her own development - she just might not be ready. Some kids just have their own timetable. Your dd might benefit from a relaxed year with you reading her some good books, and helping her count things and trace her name. This only has to take about an hour a day, mixed up when you can fit it in around the other two kids. Five really is too young for you to feel stressed that she isn't learning or that you can't teach her. Two of my sons didn't retain anything I tried to teach them in K-first grade, and not much of what we did for second grade, but I didn't worry about it. Some maturity made a huge difference. Suddenly, between second and third grade, they just took off and are doing fine now in fourth and seventh grades.

booboo
10-15-2006, 03:52 PM
I want to encourage you - from someone who isn't exactly rich and in fact considering going back to work part time at least temporarily. You can do this! Starting with the curriculum you have should be fine. Abeka is hard from what I've heard. Teach her to read? Yes you can do it? I'm proof of that and I'm not very smart.
Go with the sounds of the letters. Make a song of the vowels: ah, ah (short a), A! (long A at the end) I wish I could tell it to you than write it but I'm trying. The kids still sing those little songs I made up. And they normally have tantrums when they hear me sing. :giggle (Rabbit used to laugh as a baby)

The hs group at your church: maybe your church offers scholarship or can help you financially so you can join the group? It wouldn't hurt to ask. I know that's hard but you're looking for the benefit of your kids.

About that boy kissing your dd. IMO, normally that's pretty innocent at this age, unless you know for sure this wasn't so innocent? My girls have been the stinkers kissing the other boys even boys they don't know! It's very innocent and makes people laugh. Sometimes the boys liked it, sometimes not. If your dd doesn't, you should speak up to the teacher about that if she's not being so attentive. 20 kids or not, your entrusting her with your child.

Please really pray about this. Homeschooling isn't always easy! You really need God's guidance if/when you should do this. :hug