PDA

View Full Version : Divisive

Wholly Mama
10-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Thinking about the spanking issue here.
It's so sad to me the way that the spanking issue has divided the church. It has become such a huge issue, and in reading some of the posts here, and some different books' views on amazon, it saddens me to see such malice directed at other Christians just because of a handful of verses in the Bible.
How is it that so many Christian leaders have gotten it wrong? And why is it that it has become such an important, life or death type issue in churches? I hate how it churns up anger within me when I read what a punitive person's view is.
Anyone else have these thoughts?

hsgbdmama
10-12-2006, 06:01 PM
:yes I just don't get how our salvation or sanctification is hinged upon whether we spank or not. :scratch I'm further saddened that with everything going on in the world today, that those of us who have chosen this path are called "not Christian" or "not Christian enough." :(

Robersonlass
10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Sadly one of the reasons we left a church of 10 years was their view on this. :(

erinee
10-12-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm just really glad it's not an issue at my church. I'm pretty sure most parents I know spank their kids occasionally, but nothing like what I see referred to here. It's *never* preached from the pulpit - I've never heard such a thing in my life. There are occasionally jokey-type references -- *very* rare, and they seem to be getting even more so -- but it's never touted as "this is what you have to do to be a godly parent." When I've heard pastors preach about parenting, they talk about relationship and being a good example, those kinds of things. :heart

Chris3jam
10-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I just don't get how our salvation or sanctification is hinged upon whether we spank or not. I'm further saddened that with everything going on in the world today, that those of us who have chosen this path are called "not Christian" or "not Christian enough."

:yes I agree. I hate the way people judge other people, especially on something like this. :sad2 My children's 'problems' and behaviour would very definitely be blamed on me not spanking. :sad2 And I hate that everytime I will question or offer an alternative to things such as what Pearl or Tripp says, it automatically labels me as a "bad" (or carnal, or whatever) Christian.

CelticJourney
10-12-2006, 07:42 PM
How did we get here? My personal opinion is that the overly punitive mindset comes as a reaction to the 'drugs, sex and rock-n-roll' mentality of the '70s. Parents became afraid that their children would rebel and indulge and that reaction was taken to the 'control your children all the way to God' falicy we see in many 'Christian' materials today.

TulipMama
10-13-2006, 06:53 PM
My personal opinion is that the overly punitive mindset comes as a reaction to the 'drugs, sex and rock-n-roll' mentality of the '70s. Parents became afraid that their children would rebel and indulge and that reaction was taken to the 'control your children all the way to God' falicy we see in many 'Christian' materials today.

*nods*

In fact, from those who were around when Ezzo's parenting ideas were taking off (in California) a lot of the appeal WAS in reaction to the drugs, sex, rock-n-roll rebellion of the previous generation. I know people who, even though they think Ezzo is loony, still support his ideas to an extent because they believe it was an appropriate reaction to the culture.

Learninggentleness
10-13-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm just really glad it's not an issue at my church. I'm pretty sure most parents I know spank their kids occasionally, but nothing like what I see referred to here. It's *never* preached from the pulpit - I've never heard such a thing in my life. There are occasionally jokey-type references -- *very* rare, and they seem to be getting even more so -- but it's never touted as "this is what you have to do to be a godly parent." When I've heard pastors preach about parenting, they talk about relationship and being a good example, those kinds of things. :heart

Sigh...that sounds nice.

hsgbdmama
10-14-2006, 08:14 AM

Same here ... so when I read about some of the churches you all attend, I'm just :jawdrop :hunh :(.

:grouphug

hollybells
10-14-2006, 07:53 PM

Same here ... so when I read about some of the churches you all attend, I'm just :jawdrop :hunh :(.

:grouphug

:yes Exactly. And more :grouphug

RubySlippers
10-14-2006, 08:28 PM
:yes I just don't get how our salvation or sanctification is hinged upon whether we spank or not. :scratch

From what I have read online, some make it sound like your child's salvation is at stake. :td

I haven't been to a church that taught punitive parenting. My dh and I rarely spanked our children. It was a generational thing handed down rather than something taken from a parenting book or church.