PDA

View Full Version : I really want to homeschool next year, but....

FourCutieBugs
10-09-2006, 08:22 AM
We both do actally. We really believe it's the best thing. But this year we decided not to because we're not happy with doing it under unorganized circumstances. I have made huge strides towards having more order and structure and developing better habits in myself and in my kids since I've had my oldest in a half-day school. And he's gotten alot more out of that this year than he ever would have at home. We're thriving on more order in our lives. So....

Here are my concerns:
1. With a new baby coming, will I be able to have any kind of structure or order to our day? (I've tried this the other way for 5 years, so you won't convince me that it's ok to be very laissez faire.)
2. My oldest is REALLY high energy. I have noticed such a huge difference in the peace and order of our home and our lives having that 'time off' from him. Sad, but true. I wonder often if it isn't because he really got away with alot when I had had 2 more babies by the time he had turned 3, and I just COULDN'T do anything about alot of the stuff he would get into. :( He may just be young and immature and grow out of it, but we DO have another one on the way, and I know from experience that just means less attention for everybody all around just practically speaking. I think a regular schedule with set routines and expectations and habits in order so we don't even have to think about it would solve alot of the chaos we've had before. WOuld this calm him down? I have noticed him calm down a lot since he's been in this school situation. It's only 7 kids and hal a day, so it's perfect, and his teacher is great. Just what we needed this year. I just think a larger class and all day would be more of an opportunity for chaos and distraction and neediness for attention. KWIM? And I thinnk more time in nature, even in the backyard would result in more calm.
3. Will I slip back into depression and hopelessness and a loss of my sense of purpose and order and connectedness to the world if I disconnect myself from the order and routines and expectations of a school schedule? I don't like not having a reason to get dressed in the morning because no one is going to see us anyway, and we don't have anywhere to be. I HATE living that way. (I have tried this for 5 years as well, and I hated it. Not having to get dressed is a disadvantage IMHO.)

Anyone out there wired like me & BTDT? I mean the mess and disorder just doesn't work for me. The loss of connection to the outside world doesn't work for me either. I undestand that to some these things are a great advantage and seen as a way to relax, but that's just not me. That was profoundly messed up for us.

still thinkin
10-09-2006, 08:01 PM
I think at some point I have said or written similar words! We are about to start homeschooling but we haven't decided on a curriculum yet. I don't want to be too structured but like you were saying...I need some order and scheduling! I have flip-flopped between depression and hopelessness as well. I think as long as you decide ahead of time not to be too strict on yourself you will do great! I am learning that I am harder on myself then anyone and so just be careful not to set unrealistic goals. We have a 6 mo, 2 yo, 5 yo, & 8 yo so things are chaotic most of the time for us too. I tried homeschooling once before and it didn't go well but I am more determined this time. I know it will be challenging but we think it is best for us and so we just have to figure out a way to make it work.
Do you have alot of support?

MamaCare
10-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Wanted to pipe in and say that I'm considering homeschooling next year, too... and have many of the same concerns! (It's my middle one who's active, though! ADHD) I'm hoping to really research this year and find some support in the area, figure out what kind of supplemental activities we could do... and what type of schedule/curriculum might work best for us. (I'm afraid we might end up in pj's all day, too... which wouldn't be good for any of us long-term.)

ArmsOfLove
10-09-2006, 08:46 PM
IMO it is really important to consider what you do at home as valuable and important as any out of home career. Get up every day and get dressed and have a plan and get things accomplished. The nice thing about being at home is that you can have sick days and still get something done, you can be late and only inconvenience yourself :shifty You can have routines and not schedules, but still invest in order and structure :tu

I admire women for whom organization and structure comes natural. I am jealous in many ways.

I also know that if I allowed my struggles in these areas to cause me to put my children in school I would not be motivated to improve myself AND find a way to do it while investing in my children. Yes, children thrive in structure. Children also thrive with mom :heart I actually believe that at home with mom and less structure is better for them than structure that takes them away for long periods of time. That's my opinion :grin But I don't think mom with no structure is ideal either. It's our responsibility to do the best we can and I think it's helpful to hold ourselves to a high standard :tu

And in the subjects (cough science cough) where I need accountability I got together a small group we are working together :grin

Singingmom
10-09-2006, 09:26 PM
You can schedule your day and plan outings as much as you like! Monday can be library day, Tues. playground, Wed. invite friends over in the afternoon, etc. If you know ahead of time that it will be depressing to cut yourself off from the outside world, don't! :) I never start school in my pjs.

For your ds, a schedule may be helpful, and more time outside too. You can even structure his work to fit his high energy style. Mix physical activity with his bookwork in creative ways, let him stand to do his math or lie under the table to read. Whatever works!

Mama Calidad
10-10-2006, 07:22 AM
You don't have to do school Monday through Friday. You could do Sunday through Saturday. The subjects that are easier for you can be done on the days that your DH is working. Others, you could save for when your DH is home to help with the other kids...or he could do those subjects with your son. Like, I do phonics (English) and grammar with DD. DH speaks English, but learned on the streets and isn't comfortable teaching those subjects...and I enjoy the time with DD. DH is and will always be responsible for Spanish, 'cause it's already way over my head. DH does nature stuff with the kids, 'cause I'm more likely to crawl out of my skin at the sight of a bug than to investigage it. Etc.

There are some pre-scheduled curriculums available. Depending on your educational philosopy, one of those might provide all the organization you're looking for without having to do the organizing yourself. For us, I made up a schedule. It even has times scheduled, but :laughtears I must have been drinking too much soda the day I did that. It does give us a checklist of the things we need to accomplish each day, though. If I ought to laminiate it and the we could actually cross things off as we get them done. :idea Along with the daily stuff, on Monday we do history. Tuesday, science. Wednesday, nature study. Thursday, art. Friday, free or make up. Of course, sometimes Monday happens on Wednesday. :giggle

If being at home is depressing to you, make it a part of your schedule to get out most days. Schedule nature walks, trips to the library, field trips, etc.

FourCutieBugs
10-10-2006, 08:39 AM
MO it is really important to consider what you do at home as valuable and important as any out of home career. Get up every day and get dressed and have a plan and get things accomplished. The nice thing about being at home is that you can have sick days and still get something done, you can be late and only inconvenience yourself You can have routines and not schedules, but still invest in order and structure
I need to tatoo this to my forehead.

These are great suggestions. I guess I just am afraid that if it's on me to do it, it won't happen. Like if I had some evil dictator over me, I'd be more likely to do it. This is really an area where I need to grow up. I make these lists of things for myself to accomplish everyday and while I am consistently very busy all day, I might get one thing checked off my list. It's just the nature of small children to be outside the boundaries of my plans. BUT i do think if I practice planning ahead for things like the need for a sippie cup, things would go much more seamlessly. It's preparing ahead of time that is my greatest organizational need. i have ALWAYS been the world's chief procrastinator. I get things done, but by the skin of my teeth most of the time. I hate that.

Ok, here's another one:
My son is suddenly loving school, and the mention of homeschooling is sending him into a tyrade about his friends and his teacher and how he would miss them. I do believe ultimately this has to be a decision wisely made by his father and I under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. And I do believe he'll adapt to whatever we deem best for him from year to year. We DO want him to thrive and be happy, so we won't make decisions which will result in misery for him. But as we all do, sometimes we have to do things which are good for us which we don't necessarily like at first.

And here's something interesting I noticed about a scripture I read last night:
You know the one about how God clothes the grass of the field with lillies? He does this even though the grass will be thrown into the fire the next day. Wow. If it's important to God to clothe the grass, maybe it's important for us to clothe ourselves each day. Our bodies are a gift from him, we should treat them well in gratefulness to Him! And if He provides for us so much better than for the grass, then it's important to Him. :)

still thinkin
10-10-2006, 10:24 AM
That is a great thought! I sometimes don't get dressed first thing and I know I should because on the days that I do I feel better about myself and I get more done. It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on how things need to go for you to be successful :tu I will be praying for you! Trust that God has all you need and it is readily available for you.

FourCutieBugs
10-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Oh thank you for the prayers! that's what I REALLY need. I went to a small group on Monday night from church with my dh and at the end each person drew a random scripture from a pile of slips on which they were written. Each person's seemed to mean something to him or her, and the one I got is one of my faves: "The Lord is my Shepherd." I had shared nothing about what I was going thorugh in this area with the group, but I was secretly comforted by this verse. :) My dh got : "Let the little children come unto me." :heart We love that one too.

Mamatoto
10-10-2006, 08:20 PM
I also know that if I allowed my struggles in these areas to cause me to put my children in school I would not be motivated to improve myself AND find a way to do it while investing in my children. Yes, children thrive in structure. Children also thrive with mom I actually believe that at home with mom and less structure is better for them than structure that takes them away for long periods of time. That's my opinion But I don't think mom with no structure is ideal either. It's our responsibility to do the best we can and I think it's helpful to hold ourselves to a high standard

Okay, can you write an article on this that I can blow into poster size and tape to my wall??? PLEASE????