PDA

View Full Version : What I've appreciated from the "What your third grader needs to know"

ArmsOfLove
10-08-2006, 09:06 AM
series (or whatever they are called :giggle)

I have always been a "let the child take the lead" minded teacher but this book would occasionally have them learning something that I'd :shifty think they weren't ready for. All I've had to do is introduce the idea and *then* they want to race ahead and learn it. They are ASKING more for me to teach them things, asking me to read things to them, taking off in their learning :tu

I know that *I* tend to play it safe and if I'm not encouraged to do something outside my comfort zone I might think about it but unless I'm *really* motivated I won't pursue it. This is why I have all the stuff to can but haven't--I'm intimidated. Quilting too :shifty But if someone comes alongside me, brings up the idea, encourages me to get the stuff out and does it with me, I'm :jump2

With a lot of what I've read I wondered if that wasn't a result of how I was educated, but I really think (a la the different learning styles approach) it's just the way I am--and them too ;)

milkmommy
10-08-2006, 09:08 AM
:tu :yes

Deanna

milkmommy
10-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Further thoughts, Lately I find my self quite irritated hearing my DH discuss how his students are doing. Like the other day he said he'd never seen so many D's and F's in his life and I said so what are you going to do about it :shrug. I mean those grades are sosposed to measure how they are doing and this is college meaing your setting these kids up to preform in the real world so what good is sending them ill prepared :shrug. He totally doesn't get it. :banghead honestly he just assumes its all because they are lazy or he'll say something like my other class scored much higher :shrug Good for them but clearly its not working for THIS class. Now I get that he can't totally taylor a diffrent circullum for each student and there will be students who don't bother no matter what and those that excell no matter. I still think sometimes you do need to step back reevulate and try again even if it means stepping back a bit. :shrug

Deanna

J3K
10-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I really enjoy the What Your ___ Grader Needs To Know books as well.

Those are my "mommy has a bad headache" books. When I don't feel good I have the kids read to each other out of those books. And like you...I've seen so many times they take a subject and run with it.

They'll say to me " we didn't finish that chapter because we got involved in talking about Greek Mythology and acting out different stories. That's why the front room is a mess. Hope that's okay."

To which I say "Hallejuah ! Amen ! They were learning AND having fun."

deena
10-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Interesting to hear your opinions. I always thought they were stupid because it seemed like they picked random stuff to put in it, but now that I've heard your stories maybe I'll get them. I like the idea of them being a "Mommy has a headache" book. :giggle

Thia
10-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Author please!

erinee
10-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Can you tell me exactly how you use these? I mean, do you just pick a subject and start doing it? Do you do history one day, music another, etc.? I have a copy from my library that I think would be easier to use for supplementing Zach's PS education than trying to do what I'm currently doing, but I'm not quite sure how to use it.