PDA

View Full Version : what do you think?

illinoismommy
10-04-2006, 07:23 PM
So.... if you want to do two hours of "mandatory school work" and then the rest of the time unschooling -- meaning to me let them pick what interests them and read or play... do you think it could work? Or am I trying to mix two opposing ideas and it would be confusing?

KitKat
10-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Homeschooling is what you make it. But, realize that for a child of about 5 or 6, it is better to have a few sessions of about 20 minutes each. Otherwise they will get quite bored and annoyed. So, If you just pull him up every once in a while throughout the day to do math, then let him explore or do some activity, then sit him down for reading etc. It works better than trying to have him sit still for 2 straight hours. Basically, in the younger years, you should arrange it exactly how you are saying, let them explore with limited times of structured classes.

cindergretta
10-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Are you talking with a 2 y/o? If you are, that is a LOT. 2 hours of mandatory work? Like what?

We are *usually* an unschooling family except for a few mos a year to prep for the mandatory state test. But when we *do* "school at home," it only takes 2 hours total to do ALL of the work-- math, writing, spelling, Language Arts, reading, etc...... (Now a lot of the time that two hours spreads out over the whole day in between running errands, eating, playing, chores, goofing off, bathroom trips, etc!)

illinoismommy
10-04-2006, 07:39 PM
No I'm thinking for grades 1-5. Heehee. Yeah, I plan ahead don't I. :giggle

Dh and I have just been thinking about how we can get the best of both worlds