PDA

View Full Version : Barnes and Noble educators discount?

Garnet
10-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Dh and I checked this out last night for the school teachers at the school our kids go to. You fill out a form for a card and you get 25% precent off books. Any books, and DVD's, CDs'. I didn't ask but I wonder do they do this for homeschool moms too? Also, there's a educators party October 7 to celebrate Education week Sept 30-October 7. There will be door prizes, etc. Call your local Barnes and Noble and ask them about it. It sounds like a fun time a a good deal on good books, cd's and dvd's.

Punkie
10-04-2006, 07:07 AM
I've never tried it, but I've heard that all you need is a letter of intent and/or a homeschool card :)

Garnet
10-04-2006, 07:19 AM
I just looked at the application dh and I brought home for the school, and it does say its applicable to homeschoolers. :tu

Iarwain
10-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Yes they do if the books are for educational purposes. They do ask for some sort of official "proof" that you're homeschooling. When I went to my local B&N they told me I had to bring in something from the state as proof that we are homeschooling. BUT... My state doesn't do that! We are officially considered a private school, the same as any other non-accredited private school. There is no official state paperwork, we're completely independent. I could probably come up with something like a copy of my attendance records, or print up an official looking school document to take. I haven't bothered 'cause I buy most of our books used anyway.

Garnet
10-04-2006, 08:50 AM
:think that stinks. I guess it would be easier if you belonged to some homeschool association?

Teribear
10-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I show either my homeschool association card or my verification letter from my CRS (church related school) and use this every year.

cindergretta
10-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I am a loyal B&N shopper, complete with my educator's discount card! My df (IRL) and I went Saturday night and had coffee and drooled all over all the books! (And I bought a Sudoku books for children! :giggle )

illinoismommy
10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
OoooOOOoooh neat. Let me know if you figure out what you need since you're in the same state as me. :grin

Booklover
10-05-2006, 05:26 AM
Border's does it too. Unfortunately, my closest Barnes and Noble is an hour away.

Garnet
10-05-2006, 06:43 AM
illinoismommy you need to have a homeschoolers association card, or a letter stating you home school, etc.

Mother of Sons
10-05-2006, 06:59 AM
We had one too. I didn't use it much. If you have a half price books near you, they also have an educator discount. So does Joann fabrics and IIRC copy max as well.

Iarwain
10-05-2006, 07:49 AM
We had one too. I didn't use it much. If you have a half price books near you, they also have an educator discount. So does Joann fabrics and IIRC copy max as well.

:yes I love that about Joann's. Too bad the nearest one is half an hour away. Staples has an educator discount program too.

AttachedMamma
10-05-2006, 08:07 AM
We haven't filed our letter of intent yet. In our state, you aren't required to until they are 8yo and I just don't want to bother with it until I really have to, kwim? I wonder if I could get something from the HS support group I belong to or I wonder if our co-op has something. :think Anyone have an idea?

illinoismommy
10-05-2006, 10:47 AM
illinoismommy you need to have a homeschoolers association card, or a letter stating you home school, etc.

Is that something you do with the state once your child is school aged? :scratch I've never heard of such a thing.

Garnet
10-05-2006, 11:02 AM
no, a home school association is like oh.....APACHE in my area. Association of Peoria Area Christian Homeschoolers/Educators I think it what its called. You pay a small fee and join what amounts to a IRL homeschooling club. There are group field trips and such offered, as well as the ability to participate in the homeschool groups standardizied testing. ( Like the SAT, Iowa Basic Skills, etc) hold on I'm calling them to get the info for sure.................lesson plans count too, or anything you've made up for your teaching.

Mothering by Heart
10-05-2006, 11:31 AM
I am in CA and I just bring in my R-4 affadavit. I don't belong to any umbrella school, or associations or anything.

Garnet
10-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Whats an R-4? Just curious. I think if I did ever homeschool I would belong to APACHE only because I like that it offers the standardized testing for homeschoolers. And the SAT is a big one too. And the ability to socialize my kids with other homeschoolers on fun trips. :tu

Mothering by Heart
10-05-2006, 11:57 AM
An R-4 is filed with the state to form your own "private school" This is to legally homeschool without belonging to a charter school or other umbrella school.

cindergretta
10-05-2006, 12:54 PM
You can't homeschool independently in CA?

Iarwain
10-05-2006, 02:39 PM
The paperwork will vary by state. The thing that irked me is that they told me they needed something from the state and my state doesn't HAVE paperwork. Well, there's an option to report attendance and I *think* they may send you some form of acknowledgement, but most homeschoolers here don't do that as it's not required. But B&N doesn't understand that. I bet they would accept some sort of homeschool association thingy, but joining would cost money which would sort of defeat the point of getting a discount card. If I pursue it again I'll make myself some official looking document like a teacher ID to take in and maybe they'll accept that.

Heather Micaela
10-05-2006, 02:44 PM
You can't homeschool independently in CA?
Thecnically., one cant homeschool in NAME in CA, but yes, you can HS independently. That is what the R4 is for. Technically you are a private school, not a homeschool - but in prctice it is the same

Mothering by Heart
10-05-2006, 05:36 PM
What Heather said.
I file the R-4 and I do not have to report to anyone. I just keep my records for myself.

Garnet
10-05-2006, 07:08 PM
larwain, they accept lesson plans too.

cindergretta
10-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I wonder if CA could have made that a little more complicated? :think Anyway, at least you can homeschool so I guess that ultimately, it doesn't matter what it is called! :tu

Heather Micaela
10-05-2006, 08:14 PM
actually the good part is all you do is fill out the paperwork and thats all there is to it. (As far as I know - I am with a charter right now) No required testing, no list ahead of time of educational goals. Just fill it out and you are on your own.

cindergretta
10-05-2006, 08:22 PM
We file a DOI with the school district every year. And then we are on our own. We are required to test, and I hate that. But really, it protects us from nosy folks who call us in to CPS or whatever for truancy or accusing us of not properly educating our dc. With test results in hand, we can face the judge and prove that we are teaching them. And the progress required is VERY loosely interpreted. For instance, if my child scored al 3rd grade 4th month in every subject this year, and then 3rd grade, 6 month next year, that is progress! Or stayed the same in several subjects and moved forward in 2, progress. Although, it is extremely RARE for anyone to be called into question!

What are the safety measures in place for people who claim to homeschool but neglect instead? (Not natural learners! We mostly are, too!) But people who just keep their kids home all day and they watch cartoons. How is that handled? I'm jsut curious. I'm not bashing anyone's state or anything. I prefer loose laws IRT homeschooling to allow us the freedom to teach our dc as we see best.