PDA

View Full Version : It didn't last long enough....

KitKat
10-02-2006, 01:12 PM
So, as many of you know, I am new to GBD and AP. Well, my 6 month old was LOVING the switch. He loved being held, cuddled, nursed on-demand, all of it. NOW he is crawling, sitting up on his own, and pulling himself up. He doesn't want to be held and cuddled now. All he wants is to explore and run around and play with his big brother and sister. :cry I wasted so much of his infancy on schedules and structure, and now I missed out on all the time I could have been holding him and loving him. WHY was I so stupid to waste that time??? All I want is to start over and cuddle him from day 1. Last night, he woke up and I tried to rock him back to sleep, but all he wanted was to crawl around for a while. He cried the whole time I held him, until he was ready to nurse and fall back to sleep. I feel like my baby is growing up waaaaay too fast.

deena
10-02-2006, 01:34 PM
:hug You'll still find plenty of moments to share with him. I'm glad you joined us too.

Mama Calidad
10-02-2006, 02:11 PM
:hug You'll still find plenty of moments to share with him. I'm glad you joined us too.

:yes :hug2 The in-arms moments are fewer, but you'll still find those tender, sweet moments tucked throughout your day. Enjoy them to the fullest. :hug2

Beauty4Ashes
10-02-2006, 05:40 PM
My 15 month old still wants to be cuddled, even though he's pretty independent. He thinks he's around 8 years old!!! When he's hurt or scared or tired, he'll ask me to pick him up. he spends a lot of time on my hip. Your little one still has plenty of cuddling up to you time :hug

ArmsOfLove
10-02-2006, 05:42 PM
:hug

It's possible that your cuddling and close contact and touch was what jump started him and got him able to do all he's doing now!

There are YEARS for cuddles :hug

allisonintx
10-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Oh wait! There will be more to come. Babies get really needy at about 12 to 16 or 18mos and need LOTS of holding, and they are really still so little then! It's not over, and what a beautiful gift you have to give your children now of the knowledge you've gained in this transition.

KitKat
10-02-2006, 08:03 PM
It's possible that your cuddling and close contact and touch was what jump started him and got him able to do all he's doing now!

I was thinking that, because he wasn't even really crawling a month ago. Now, he is REALLY moving and exploring. He looks up at me whenever he wants to crawl somewhere new and as long as I am smiling, then off he goes. Exploring and learning. Apparently there is so much to learn about, cuddles aren't a priority right now. I am hoping that he gets to a point where he wants them again. He does want to cuddle when he falls down, but only for a few seconds, then it's off again.

CelticJourney
10-03-2006, 01:06 PM
We have a new son - he was 8 months old when he came home from Guatemala a month ago. And I really missed those newborn cuddles as well. BUT the good news for both of us is that we have a lifetime of cuddles and hugs before us. One thing about those early days of crawling and exploring is that they lead right back to mommy - home base - to 'check in' and feel secure with moving forward. When the crumbs on the floor stop being the 'main attraction', I know that my son and I will have a wonderful journey ahead of us of Winnie-the-Pooh and just pulling down every book on the shelf and reading together until we are just 'done'. It's ok to mourn the past, but don't forget to look at the bright horizon right there in your arms. :yes

Radosny Matka
10-03-2006, 07:33 PM
:hug I agree with PP, each new stage brings new joys. It is sad to see them grow up - so bittersweet.