PDA

View Full Version : Language learning?

MidnightCafe
10-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Does anyone else here teach a second language at home? How? With what curriculum?

We're working on learning & using Spanish in our home, as Vespera is a native Spanish-speaker. I keep saying that I'll speak Spanish to Mane at home all the time, and then...well, I don't know what happens. It's something I need to work on. I think I hesitate because I don't know how to really help her know what I'm saying. Should I speak both languages? Should I translate when I speak in Spanish? My Spanish isn't great, but it's enough to begin using regularly. Vespera *could* speak Spanish to all of us, but, quite frankly, it gets frustrating to her because we're so much slower than she is. I mean, she'll do it if we ask, but everything gets done faster if we just use English. We joke that when we all decide to speak Spanish it just gets a lot quieter around here. ;)

I'm interested in what others are doing. Any curriculum or activity ideas for preschool children?

Thanks! :-)

booboo
10-02-2006, 04:21 AM
We're using an introduction to language type of curriculum for now. It's Little Linguists, ours is Japanese for Kids. I think it's for a slightly older child, but you could help with the writing part. I think it's good to introduce the language, culture, etc. We found it through Rainbow Resource for only around $5.00 but I'd like to get a little more challenging eventually with my kids. This one I'm doing has a website I haven't visited, but here's the link: http://www.gallopade.com

hth! :-)

Mama Calidad
10-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Both of our kids are bilingual just from being in a bilingual environment. I'd ask V to always use Spanish first when talking to M and only move to English if necessary. It takes us adults a long time to catch on, but kids learn really, really quickly.

Other than that, you can switch languages on DVDs to Spanish and/or you can do the Qubo Saturday morning 'toons on NBC on Saturday and then the same 'toons are on Telemundo in Spanish on Sunday.

Finding a Spanish speaking playmate would be ideal. One that doesn't speak any English preferably. :grin