PDA

View Full Version : Spin Off about Breaking the Will

ArmsOfLove
09-30-2006, 10:44 PM
After being prodded from 3 directions on this :) I told Rabbi that I needed to cut the praise time short today and that I had a word from God for the congregation.

I told them that I knew some of them in there had been told they needed to break their children's will and that many of their parents were probably taught that. I explained that Scripture and the Hebraic understanding of the heart is that it is the seat of the mind, will and emotions. I explained that Jesus tells us we are to love God with all our heart. And I said that when a child's will is broken, it is breaking their heart :cry I said that God doesn't want us to have broken hearts--it's not what he looks for in a child. That God doesn't want our wills broken, he gave us Free Will and asks us to submit it to Him :amen And because we are going into Yom Kippur tomorrow evening and Jesus tells us if you go to the altar to offer a sacrifice and you hold something against someone or they have something against you you are to FIRST go and make things right--not to carry those things to the altar. And that God wanted us to FORGIVE--because our parents were just doing their best, doing what they were told to do to raise us well :heart And if someone's parents really were evil then they needed love and forgiveness even more :(

Then Rabbi got up and said that as much as he was all for moving a service along there is a time to let the Holy Spirit move and he prayed for the congregation :happytears He prayed that there would be healing where there were words of discouragement instead of encouragement; where children were given the message that they were not right rather than loved unconditionally; where they were wounded instead of loved; and where their wills and their hearts were broken. It was very beautiful.

I wanted to share that--it really touched me deeply and I cried through much of it. :happytears

Senta
09-30-2006, 10:50 PM
:hug

Mother Duck
10-01-2006, 12:37 AM
:hug Thanks for expressing that. It is a much needed message.

Benjaminswife
10-01-2006, 01:42 AM
:) So glad to hear preaching like this :)

Katherine
10-01-2006, 05:42 PM
:cry I got teary just reading it. My sis and I were talking about this last night.

kwisie
10-01-2006, 06:33 PM
*sniff* Thank you for sharing that.

Radosny Matka
10-01-2006, 06:46 PM
:happytears

CelticJourney
10-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Sounds like a wonderfully receptive rabbi :) Hopefully the congragation was equally open.

canadiyank
10-01-2006, 11:44 PM
:heart Wow, my pastor was talking about that today, too. :think

Savmom
10-02-2006, 10:01 AM
:highfive :tu