PDA

View Full Version : Fundamental Baptist Warning about The Pearls

Hermana Linda
09-28-2006, 09:51 AM
I came across this link and was wondering if I should link to it. It does warn against the Pearls, but but it does not seem to be strong enough. It is only theological, not against spanking at all, as far as I can see. I was wondering what you all think? Is it worth linking to?
http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/awarning-nogreaterjoy.html

Titus2Momof4
09-28-2006, 11:10 AM
I see what you are saying--the article is not blatantly anti-spanking. However, I do think that it would definitely put a "buzz" in the ears of those who are totally pro-pearl, to see that this Fundamental Baptist organization finds something wrong with him. And then it may spark someone to do some further research on their own and find other things wrong. :shrug

Hermana Linda
09-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks, I'm glad you understand. My concern, it that the author seems to agree with the Pearls about the spanking part. Or does he? I'm not sure. I feel that he is trying not to offend Pearl followers by being too negative. OTOH, maybe he really does agree with the Pearls about those things? And those things rather negate the main theme of my page. YK? But I like what you have said, it is just what I wanted to know.

4thekids
09-28-2006, 11:41 AM
They promote godly husband-wife relationships. They teach parents how to reach the child’s heart rather than being content with enforcing mere externals....They teach a biblical approach to corporal punishment without apology. I wouldn't just because of this. It seems that he does agree with them on the punishment aspect. This was in the first section. I think it doesn't go well with the rest of your page. JMHO.

katiekind
09-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Linda, I think it depends on what you want your site to do. If you're promoting a view of parenting then this may confuse your readers. On the other hand if you are mainly trying to get information out to help people discern for themselves, then I'd publish it.

It's clearly labeled as coming from a Fundamental Baptist viewpoint and in my experience, they are going to believe that the Bible teaches corporal punishment. I think a lot of people would "consider the source" on that.

I am glad that Ezzo.info references voices like Focus on the Family who do not base their concern about Ezzo on spanking but on legalism, scripture twisting, and Ezzo's treatment of people and experts who disagree with him. Ezzo wants to portray opposition to his program as coming from people biased by their anti-spanking, attachment parenting views, but you can't dismiss Dobson that way.

So--as Titus2momof4 points out, there is a sense in which this is a case of, "hey, if a group as conservative as the Fundamental Baptists have a problem with him, you KNOW there's a problem."

He makes some interesting points.

Thanks for the work you do on this!

Titus2Momof4
09-28-2006, 12:23 PM
I agree...it depends on what angle you want to look at it from. I think a link titled "Fundamental Baptists object to Pearls" or something like that would catch my eye if I were still doing the Pearls..especially since during the time we were doing the Pearls we were attending a FB church. This way you aren't claiming that they oppose spanking (which you definitely don't want to do, because then when people read the article and see that the article doesn't seem against spanking, then that makes you look ill-informed about whats at your site)... all you are saying is FB's caution against the Pearls, if you choose to include this link. Maybe with a disclaimer "note: I do not agree with this article's stance re: spanking" ???

CelticJourney
09-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Certainly depends on the 'audience' but a gaint step in the right direction.

cklewis
09-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Giant step. :phew It's a relief to me after everything I went through this summer.

:pray

C

Katiebug
09-28-2006, 02:48 PM
:tu I'd link to it. It's not saying that *you* agree with spanking (or fundamentalist Baptists for that matter). I don't think any reader would be shocked to see a fundie group agreeing with corporal punishment, so it's not like you're providing any new info on that front.

Hermana Linda
09-28-2006, 07:10 PM
I agree...it depends on what angle you want to look at it from. I think a link titled "Fundamental Baptists object to Pearls" or something like that would catch my eye if I were still doing the Pearls..especially since during the time we were doing the Pearls we were attending a FB church. This way you aren't claiming that they oppose spanking (which you definitely don't want to do, because then when people read the article and see that the article doesn't seem against spanking, then that makes you look ill-informed about whats at your site)... all you are saying is FB's caution against the Pearls, if you choose to include this link. Maybe with a disclaimer "note: I do not agree with this article's stance re: spanking" ???

I like this idea. Thanks!

UltraMother
09-29-2006, 02:19 PM
If it helps people start questioning his teachings, then it's a good thing. :tu

Treenahurricane
09-30-2006, 08:56 AM
I don't like this aspect of the article:
They promote godly husband-wife relationships. They teach parents how to reach the child’s heart rather than being content with enforcing mere externals. They focus on how crucial it is for the parents to live what they preach, to avoid hypocrisy. They teach a biblical approach to corporal punishment without apology.
Because I feel that it is not truly representative of Biblical teaching, and their "godly" husband-wife relationships puts the man in an almost "sinless" position the way they are represented.

I do appreciate the lower half of the article, however, that discusses the Pearl's view on sanctification and sinless life (which apparently only applies to adults in the Pearl's world).