PDA

View Full Version : Rhyming

MommaRhe
09-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Who else has had a child very challanged by the idea of rhyming words and how did you go about helping them grasp it?

Is this an area that often is a struggle?

Mamatoto
09-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I have read this is a concept best learned after first grade. :shrug Your oldest is only four right?

MommaRhe
09-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Really???? Our curric. started with rhyming!

Mamatoto
09-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Oh, goodness. What curriculum are you using for a four year old? :think I think that rhyming requires reasoning that isn't developed in the brain until after age seven....now I just have to remember where I read this...... :think

OpalsMom
09-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Rhyming is often taught as a pre-reading skill; it's not so much a logic thing as a pattern thing. A kid who doesn't "get" rhyming may be one who doesn't break up words into sounds yet (which means they're not capable of doing phonics-based reading yet). Talking about first sounds and last sounds would be a good way to start, I think.

I got this book out of the library (because I'm geeky, not because I'm worried about teaching my 2.5 year old to read!) and enjoyed it and the other books in the series. Some people on Amazon seem pretty het up about her introduction, but honestly, her approach is gentle, she encourages parents to be involved --- I wouldn't hold a silly sentence about teachers against her.

http://www.amazon.com/Games-Reading-Peggy-Kaye/dp/0394721497/sr=1-3/qid=1159382287/ref=pd_bbs_3/103-6453685-9869466?ie=UTF8&s=books

Mama Calidad
09-27-2006, 11:44 AM
DD is just starting to get rhyming. I don't remember how the concept was brought up, but she totally didn't get it at all. Then on Sunday, she told me that boggy and froggy rhymed and wanted to know what would rhyme with fishy. And I'm left again going :hunh Where'd that come from? :giggle

I totally wouldn't stress about your DD not getting it. :hug She'll hear it on her own eventually. :hug

MidnightCafe
09-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Mane *can* rhyme, but not really "on demand." :grin She can tell me when things rhyme, but she can't often think of rhymes on her own. My good friend works for a Sylvan Learning Center, and she tells me that 4 is too young for rhyming. So, no need to worry. I have been using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. Mane can do everything except the rhyming activities. Now she's sort of starting to get it, but she doesn't like it, and we skip it most of the time. It hasn't affected her ability to sound things out. :shrug

J3K
09-27-2006, 12:53 PM
I have a nine year old who is just now grasping to MAKE her own rhymes.

It helps to listen to music...something lyric rich..and point out all the rhymes.

Four is way to young , imo , to be concerned with a lack of rhyming skills.

MommaRhe
09-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks everyone!

It's not so much that I was concerned she wasn't getting as looking for ideas of different ways to approach it.

One of the games we've done quite a lot (because she enjoys it and asks to play it) is called "Jump or Slump" Where I say 2 words - if they rhyme she jumps if they don't she slumps. She's getting more and more right and has even come up with her own a few times!

:highfive