PDA

View Full Version : What math curriculum do you like/dislike and why?

HomeGrownBlessings
09-26-2006, 07:30 PM
So I'm researching and it's a bit overwhelming. So far I like Math U See and Singapore Math - but this is just based on reading reviews and talking to moms who use it and like it....

Any input regarding your experiences with math curriculum would be appreciated greatly!

LauraK
09-26-2006, 07:40 PM
I don't know anything personally about these curriculums but I know some of the math education folks I work with like Singapore math. The main thing I think using manipulatives does is it forces the teacher, in this case you, to actually understand the math. I am so shocked by how many teachers (elementary and middle school teachers not homeschool teachers) really don't understand basic math. Things like understanding the relationship between product and area, understanding the equation for a line, understanding rates, ratios, proportions, fractions, etc. I am not talking calc or analysis or anything like that, I am just talking really understanding arithmetic...anyway...I am on a tangent :-)

OK...just my 2 cents as a math geek whose oldest is 3. I am also interested to hear what others think :)

heartofjoy
09-26-2006, 07:55 PM
I hated Singapore Math. It does not adequately explain what's going on to the teacher. I had trouble teaching first grade math with it! And I love math! But I am not a math geek and I learned the memorizing/formula way of math. I like that it is more mental math, but it doesn't give a non-mental-math mom the tools she needs to teach it. The basic program does not come with manipulatives or drill work. I think you may even have to buy something extra to get word problems.

I am using Math-U-See right now. I think this program explains the why's behind the concepts as well as the shortcuts and gets the drillwork done. Don't try to cram every worksheet on them if they get it. He makes that pretty clear. I like that he is there on the DVD to explain the concept to me, plus I have the teacher's guide to explain things. It actually tells me HOW to teach the concept.

Keep in mind I am speaking about the beginning levels of these programs. First grade SM and MUS Alpha. I did use Singapore's Earlybird math which I thought was okay, but it's not really necessary.

We love, love, love Calculadder's for drill. It's fun! My second grader eats it up! She begs to do it!

We also use Miquon math to explore advanced math concepts in a fun way. I am teaching both my 2nd grader and Kindergartener MUS Alpha. This program is a little too easy for my 2nd grader, so when she gets ahead, she works in her Miquon book. I think it helps with understanding math from a more mental perspective, and less from the get-the-problem-right perspective.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

jghomeschooler
09-27-2006, 12:54 PM
we tried Saxon when my dd was in 3rd grade, and we both hated it. it was very boring, too much repetitveness, and the first half of the book looked like K or 1gr math. we ditched it. we were just unschooling for a while, and now we are using the K12 curriculum for all subjects. the K math is pretty simple right now, and dd's math is very thorough, explains everything- she has manipulatives to use (so does ds in K). I am VERY happy with the K12 program and I am glad that we are able to use it free of charge.

KitKat
09-27-2006, 04:33 PM
OH we couldn't stand Saxon. But I LOVE Ray's because you just take it at your own pace. Well, that and cost is a major issue for us, so $90 for K-8th grade is a winner for us. But, the downfall, you have to basically come up with your own practice sheets and the wording is sometimes difficult to adjust to, but the concepts are laid out beautifully.

Shining Light
09-28-2006, 01:25 AM
We have Shiller Math and dd and I both love it!! I don't know what grade levels your kids are. My dd is in kinder and the Shiller set I have should take her up through about 2nd grade. It was kinda expensive but I think it was worth every penny, especially when you consider that it lasts more than 1 year :) By the way, the guy, Larry Shiller, who is the creator is probably *the* most customer oriented and responsive person I've ever experienced. He is definitely an added value for anyone who is using Shiller.

I know several families who use either Math-U-See or Singapore Math (some use both) and am fairly familiar with both, although moreso with Singapore Math because I've been to a training on it. I like both of them but, if I weren't using Shiller, I'd probably opt for Singapore Math. When I went to that training on Singapore Math I was really impressed! The only thing that I can see as a potential problem with Singapore Math (which isn't really SM's problem but rather how it is used) is that most homeschoolers only use the work and practice texts (can't remember the exact name). However, in my opinion, one of the strongest parts of SM is their approach to and focus on problem solving which you don't really get if you are only using the regular books. They have lots of supplements and manipulatives available that I don't think most people even know about but, if you use them, they make the program so much richer.

booboo
09-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Dislike: Christian Liberty. It was too hard for my kids. I scrapped it completely, even the kindergarten one. :td

Love so far: MCP (Modern Curriculum Press) Math. This is working! It goes at a slower pace, great for the mathematically challenged kid. Not too colorful but not bad either. Somebody here on this board recommended it to me and offhand I forget who (sorry!) but she knows how much I appreciate her tip! :yes
I even wrote a comment on Rainbow Resource for it yesterday but don't know if it's there yet. :-) My kids love this so much sometimes they even hug me after they're done with it for the day! And Rabbit has had 2
perfect score tests (chapter checkups) so far! This is unheard of for her!

HomeGrownBlessings
09-29-2006, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! I actually like math and ds and I are both comfortable with teaching math. I was thinking the manipulatives in MUS would be good for my daughter. LOL we won't actually start a math curriculum for another year but hey I'm just researching while I have some time :)

Thanks again for the input!

chie96
10-01-2006, 04:07 AM
I hated Singapore Math. It does not adequately explain what's going on to the teacher...it doesn't give a non-mental-math mom the tools she needs to teach it.

Actually, SM has both Teacher's Guides http://www.singaporemath.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=teacher+guide and parental guides available. I have found them useful for explaining things to me but too repetitive for my DD so we just use the workbook for her. HTH!

As for us, we also use SM and have added in Miquon http://www.keypress.com/x6252.xml. Singapore is definitely a mental math, which was very important to me. DD does very well with it and I plan to continue through the entire series. Miquon really encourages creative thinking and problem solving skills. Again - this was a perfect fit for my DD. We love both programs and my only complaint is that DD wants to do both each day! Speaking of which - there is a chart at http://www.singmath.com/SM_Miquon.htm that explains how SM and Miquon match up. We use this for scheduling DD's lessons.

ServantofGod
10-04-2006, 07:00 PM
I LOVE MUS! The only other math I've used was Saxon K, with my oldest, which I despised! Then, we found MUS and I have continued to use it for four years and I plan to use it indefinately.

What I like about MUS:

* The philosophy of the creator of the program is "Your child should be where they *should* be - PLEASE do not call us asking, 'Where should my child be in this book at the end of first grade?'" ITA with that approach!

* The DVD's are a big help. I'm not a naturally mathmatical person and I am really terrible at explaining the way to solve a math problem to my kids. So, when we are beginning a new concept, I stick the DVD in the player, watch it with them and then fine-tune anything they didn't totally *get* from watching the lesson on the video!

* The manipulatives and presentation make total sense. I wish I had learned math this way!

* It's structured enough that it's simple for me to implement - just move on with the lessons and watch the DVD when a new lesson comes up. But it's not so structured that it chaffes my need for freedom - if my kids understand the concept, they might whiz through six pages, or sometimes even skip portions, but if they are challenged by it, we camp out there until it clicks.

allisonintx
10-04-2006, 07:04 PM
My daughters are LOVING MathUSee. I used Making Math Meaningful last year and it was a disaster because my girls are serious tactile learners. We are having to 'redo' the grade year for both of them in math to make up for it. The good news is that it is going so fast that they will complete two curriculum sets this year alone.

I was initially put off by MUS, because of the whole 'U' thing...I know that sounds stupid, but I hate intentional misspellings and veer sharply from places and things that utilize them. I was also put off by the concept of "onety" but it is not invasive and hasn't shown my dd to say the numbers incorrectly, so it's just not that big of a deal.

illinoismommy
10-04-2006, 07:12 PM
:popcorn so how do you guys first decide which one to try? Is there any where you can go and actually open and read the book/workbook/whatever ? I'd want to make the best guess possible because we po' :O

KitKat
10-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Well, if you find a homeschool group in your area, then you can always talk to those people and see if they will let you see what they use. At my last homeschool group, we had a show-off week, where we all brought in our curriculums and favorite references so that we could all do some "window" shopping. I actually chose my spelling curriculum because I saw it that day.

If you look on the curriculums website, you can sometimes look into what you are buying. Also

www.homeschoolreviews.com

this is a wonderful resource where people can put their comments about a curriculum in. One thing to realize is for instance, when I started with saxon, I knew I couldn't stand it. But, my mother had spent over $200 getting it for me (gotta love my homeschool advocate mom), she understood why I didn't like it and so we just adjusted it. We picked the problems that needed to be worked on, and the parts we didn't like, we didn't use. You can adjust just about any curriculum to meet your needs and likes. And then, the next year, you can always choose a different one.

illinoismommy
10-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Well, if you find a homeschool group in your area, then you can always talk to those people and see if they will let you see what they use. At my last homeschool group, we had a show-off week, where we all brought in our curriculums and favorite references so that we could all do some "window" shopping. I actually chose my spelling curriculum because I saw it that day.

Yeah great idea I can't believe I didn't think of it... I know lotsa homeschoolers :tu