PDA

View Full Version : Scripture in reference to discipline?

My3loves
09-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Hello ladies,

I am new here and posted my introduction in the introduction forum earlier today.

DH and I have decided we do not want to use punitive methods for discipline with our kids. We have in the past used time out (in a punitive manner) and also have swatted bottoms a couple of times. Both of us did not feel right about this and I am especially angry with myself for ever thinking it was ok.

When I have discussed this with Christian friends or family members, they seem to think that it is no big deal and always bring up "spare the rod, spoil the child." I feel that it is not right to spank. Personally, I feel that God has told me this. Basically I am looking for scripture that talks about gentle disciplining. Can anyone help?

ArmsOfLove
09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
You can start by letting them know "spare the rod, spoil the child" is from a Samuel Butler poem, not Scripture :grin

tbh, the more I study the "rod" verses the more I'm convinced they are about gentle discipline! And Jesus discipled the disciples--totally gentle! Even washed Judas' feet, knowing that later that night he'd be betrayed by him :amen

Rbonmom
09-25-2006, 11:05 PM
oh, wow Crystal that thought just took my breath away... I'd never thought of that! I've heard the story dozens of times, but never even thought about that :jawdrop

I just think you have to take the bible as a whole, not a few verses out of context and poorly translated, and it seems to me you can't come up with any other conclusion. How can we believe a God so tender and gentle with us, who shows us mercy and grace all the time, would require the opposite for our children.

Atarah
09-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Crystal (ArmsOfLove) goes into the details of the scripture at her website:

http://aolff.org/sparetherod.html