PDA

View Full Version : What can I teach at 2?

ChristianMother27
09-25-2006, 11:29 AM
I figured it's never to early to start, but i'm kind of stumped what "cirriculum" i can teach DD. she's 2 now. we got her some erasable learning books for her birthday so even if she doesn't "get" them now she can use them when she does. her favorite one right now is a colors and shapes book, but she doesn't really draw the shapes, and doesn't want to listen when i tell her colors for more than a few seconds. i try teaching her numbers, and if she's in the mood together we can count to 5, buti don't think she"gets" it so much as just knowing what so many fingers held up means (like if i held up my pinky instead of my pointer finger for one i don't think she'd realize that was also one finger held up). i dunno maybe i'm hoping for too much but my nephew can name letters and he ISN'T homeschooled so i thought if there was something i could do i might as well take a shot at it.

J3K
09-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Nothing really. Two is far too young to be engaging in formal schooling of any kind , imo.

For now , you can reinforce colors , shapes thru every day life. "Hand me the red sock please." Or "Pick up the toy shaped like a triangle. That's a square. Thank you. This is the triangle. Let's put it in the box."

Just everyday normal stuff.

hbmamma
09-25-2006, 12:20 PM
:tol so i'm typing with one hand - sorry no cap letters :shifty

nothing formal - way too young, but we did colors (laundry, grocery shopping, picking up toys), shapes, letters if she asked what they were...just incorporating her into everyday things and answering all her questions :grin

hth :grin

mamaKristin
09-25-2006, 12:39 PM
yep, formal teaching isn't worth the time at this age. Informal teaching is so the way to go. Color together and talk about the colors you are using. Walk outside and talk about what you see. Let her 'help' with tasks around the house. Count pieces of fruit as you hand them to her. Talk about your day. They learn so much this way!

Moon
09-25-2006, 02:09 PM
With my 2yo we:
~count his toes and fingers
~read stories to him
~imitate animal noises
~point out the colors of the foam bath tub letters
~scribble all over the chalkboard
~color in color books
~practice saying his name, his siblings names and his parents names
~sing silly songs
~talk about body part names
~name the contents of the grocery cart
~name his items of clothing as he gets dressed

Stuff like that, it all happens in the normal course of the day. The only thing even slightly schoolish that I encourage is drawing his circles counter clockwise (as most letters are made with counter clockwise circles and most people naturally draw clockwise circles).

About two-three times a week he'll ask to do school too, when his siblings are doing theirs. I print him off a color page from the internet, stick it on a clipboard and hand him a crayon. He happily sits besides his siblings on the couch, "Me do skoo too!"

hsgbdmama
09-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Before Five in a Row is a literature-based preschool curriculum, designed for ages 2-4. The activities are centered around classic (and quality) children's literature. It is a good springboard for ideas, and the website www.fiveinarow.com is chock full of ideas. :tu

Leslie
09-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Nothing really. Two is far too young to be engaging in formal schooling of any kind , imo.

I agree! The best things you can do are to include her in whatever you're doing and talk to her about it, let her know what you're doing, show her how to do it, let her help if it's appropriate. Also, let her enjoy watching things outside, let her take her time watching ants on the sidewalk, smelling different flowers, listening to birds, that sort of thing. Let her see the progress of growing things, such as in a garden - that will go a LONG way towards science later. Some kids can't understand basic scientific concepts because they have no real life experiences to relate them to. At this age, life itself is the best teacher, and that's what preschoolers were designed to learn from.

Also, reading books to her is great, so that she learns to appreciate the complexity, beauty and fun of language.

Mamatoto
09-25-2006, 04:17 PM
We do lots of finger rhymes, nature learning, neighborhood nature walks, seasonal crafts, cooking and baking, washing dishes, playing in the sand, playing with balls, learning to hop and jump and climb small trees... :applecrisp :bfly, learning to swim, looking at books for hours....modeling clay, coloring with the beeswax block crayons...gardening, digging, "fixing" and "hammering"....

Mama Calidad
09-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Personally, I think that this is a great age to start doing your prep work. Read about the different educational philosophies and determine which you feel is the right one for your family (or mesh together the bits and pieces of different ones that fit :shifty ). I also start watching my kids at this age to figure out their learning style. Other than that, we watch our kids interests and incorporate reading, playing, crafts and learning in everyday life.

I will say, if my kids weren't already bilingual, I'd introduce a second language at this age. :duck This is still the age of language acquisition and I'd take advantage of that.

ChristianMother27
09-26-2006, 02:18 PM
i didn't mean to imply a formal cirriculum, hence the quotes :giggle - the ideas listed so far are great :)

i am intrigued - how does one introduce a second language? DD doesn't even say a lot in english, and *i* don't know a second language. maybe some of those videos i've seen on tv?

Mama Calidad
09-26-2006, 02:32 PM
i am intrigued - how does one introduce a second language? DD doesn't even say a lot in english, and *i* don't know a second language. maybe some of those videos i've seen on tv?

Do you have cable/satellite? If so, I'd just flip on some cartoons on Telemundo. They have the Spanish version of NBC's 3-2-1 Penguins and Veggie Tales on Sunday morning. Or they have Dora in Spanish (I think it's on Telemundo...it may be one of the others). If you have any DVDs she watches, check and see if it has an alternate language available. No need for anything formal. They just seem to soak it right up.

Little kids and second languages are really, really wild. DS clearly understood both languages before he spoke either. They just flip back and forth like it was the easiest thing in the world, which is why I think it's the perfect time to introduce it. :grin

ChristianMother27
09-26-2006, 02:33 PM
hmm interesting. i'll have to see if some of DD's favorite videos has alternative languages. i would have never thought of that. wonder if putting on subtitles wouldhelp her read LOL

J3K
09-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Most dvd's have a langauge option.

My kids like to watch Emperor's New Groove in french. :giggle

no..they don't know how to speak french now...

jghomeschooler
09-26-2006, 06:41 PM
http://www.letteroftheweek.com/preschool_age_3.html
this site has many great ideas, even "curriculum" ideas for babies. Check it out!

AttachedMamma
09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I figured it's never to early to start, but i'm kind of stumped what "cirriculum" i can teach DD.

You should read the book "better late than early" :grin

cindi

ChristianMother27
09-28-2006, 01:58 PM
I figured it's never to early to start, but i'm kind of stumped what "cirriculum" i can teach DD.

You should read the book "better late than early" :grin

cindi

just reiterating - cirriculum is in quotes because i meant how can i teach her stuff with what she does already. not buying a formal cirriculum like public school

Mamatoto
09-28-2006, 02:13 PM
I have a "curriculum" for young ones....Being Small for 1 and 2's and Naturally Three for 3-5....http://www.naturekiddos.com hth :grin

ChristianMother27
09-28-2006, 02:16 PM
that looks interesting :D

blessedw/4
09-28-2006, 05:40 PM
i didn't mean to imply a formal cirriculum, hence the quotes :giggle - the ideas listed so far are great :)

Sign Language is a great way to go with one this young ... google Signing Times ... they are great DVDs
I've seen them on Amazon and at www.attachedtobaby.com

ChristianMother27
09-28-2006, 05:52 PM
funny you should mention sign language. i haven't been teaching it to DD per se but last night just out of the blue she flashed me the i love you sign and said "i lo view" for the first time last night. it was sooo cute :D