PDA

View Full Version : homeschooling...again!

jghomeschooler
09-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Well, dh's job has changed in a major way, and now he has more responsibility at work, and he will be deploying next year. I posted a couple of weeks ago about deciding to put ds in ps K, it seemed like the right thing to do. It was so frustrating and HARD to teach him, he wasn't very cooperative and we are using a charter program that gives us assignments. the babies started fussing and crying for attention every time I sat down to do school with ds. I realized that I just can't do this all by myself, we have NO support here- no family, no close friends, nada. So, after 8 days of ps K, I withdrew him from their school. LOL. SO many things happened, and they are things that I just can't live with him enduring everyday. One major thing that got my goat, was that his teacher told him he couldn't use the restroom one day, because it was too close to time for him to go home so he should just wait until he got home. ARGH!!! I had a very negative experience with the head of the PTA, ds was crying every single day wanting to stay home. When we did his homework the other day, I had to TEACH him everything that he needed to do anyway, and at that point I was like, "OH, now I remember, this is why I stopped sending dd to ps. If I have to teach him at home ANYWAY, then WHY am I sending him to school??????!!!" :hunh So, I was planning to just start schooling him after school and on weekends, to see how cooperative he'd be with me and how well the babies would do. The next day, ds said he REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY did NOT want to go to school, he just wanted to stay at home and do "homework". I had NOT told him ANYTHING about pulling him out of school. I was flabberghasted, but went with my instincts to just keep him home. Yay, I feel like we are a family again. He is much happier, and I am not stressed and worried about what is going on at school. Just thought I'd share our recent experience. :)

SueQ
09-24-2006, 02:38 AM
:tu Way to go in following your mommy instincts and doing what you know is best for your son. :hug :heart

slingmamaof4
09-24-2006, 04:25 AM
Jenn, it sounds like he will be sooo much happier at home! :tu Even though hs'ing can have times that are difficult it is definitely better for some children than ps nonetheless. Sounds like this is what he needs right now. Follow those mommy instincts!!! :hug

booboo
09-25-2006, 04:16 AM
You know something? I :rolleyes when people tell me they don't have the patience to homeschool. Maybe it's because we've dealt with the ps before, I don't have the patience to put my kids in ps!

Good for you for following your instincts! :highfive

Mama Calidad
09-25-2006, 07:03 AM
:hug

jghomeschooler
09-25-2006, 11:01 AM
You know something? I when people tell me they don't have the patience to homeschool. Maybe it's because we've dealt with the ps before, I don't have the patience to put my kids in ps!

LOL, That is too true. We went a whole 8 days, and I thought, "wow, we've already got x many issues, I don't think things are going to start getting better."
My kids are actually enrolled in a ps charter school, which provides K12 curriculum for free, and the kids are loving it. They have an assigned *teacher* we meet with each quarter, and I told her the problems I was having. I told her, "just because my son is attending school there, does NOT mean that they own him. He is still MY son." She totally agreed with me, and I just love this program. The teachers and staff are very supportive, and most of the teachers joined this school because they weren't happy working in the system of other ps's. Here's a link in case any CA moms are intersted.
http://caliva.org/

RealLifeMama
09-25-2006, 11:04 AM
That sounds like a great program!

:ot
I am soooo happy to see you posting!!! I hope you are able to be around more often! :tu

jghomeschooler
09-25-2006, 11:58 AM
I am soooo happy to see you posting!!! I hope you are able to be around more often!
:O Garsh, thanks. :giggle