PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling Web Page or Blog - should I create one?

HomeGrownBlessings
09-20-2006, 07:07 PM
I've been noticing on line that there are a bunch of family homeschooling web pages and/or homeschooling blog. Some are interesting and some are just informational.

I was thinking of creating one, but when I talked to dh about it he asked, "what's the point?" It really seems like a bunch of work not to mention the work in maintaining it and updating it. :shrug :scratch

Do any of you have one? What do you use it for?

Thanks!

P.S.

On another note, do you all think that family websites w/ pictures are safe? I wouldn't want pix of my kids on the web open to who knows who...but then it would be great to keep family updated. :shrug

Leslie
09-20-2006, 07:54 PM
A blog is low maintenance. Easier than a website. You can update it when you feel like it. It's nice as a record for yourself, and for family/friends to keep up with you. If you're part of an online homeschool community, it's a nice way to share with the rest of the group what you're doing. It can also provide an opportunity for your children to share their work - scanned drawings, little stories they write - sometimes being "published" online can be fun for them. For me, it's just fun, and there's some peer pressure - everyone else in my online group has one and I didn't want to be left out. :P~

I think pictures can be fine. But you shouldn't give your last name or where you live (whether you share pictures or not). And I don't label my pictures with identifiable names, not even my kids' first names.

mamatia
09-20-2006, 08:01 PM
personally, i wouldn't put pics of my kids online unless that part of the site was password protected...then you could give the password to who you wanted to...

but, my dad works for board of probation and parole and my mom's in social work...plus my degree is in psychology, so i'm jaded for life. you might take my opinion with a grain of salt. :shifty

SueQ
09-21-2006, 04:39 AM
personally, i wouldn't put pics of my kids online unless that part of the site was password protected...then you could give the password to who you wanted to...

but, my dad works for board of probation and parole and my mom's in social work...plus my degree is in psychology, so i'm jaded for life. you might take my opinion with a grain of salt. :shifty

I don't either because my dad told me that pediphiles (know I spelled that wrong) sometimes use fully clothed pictures of children, too, and that just grossed me out. Ever since then I put no pictures up and don't use my children's real name on internet sites/boards that are not password protected.

booboo
09-21-2006, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't do it. I tried doing a blog once at homeschooljournal.net and because I voiced my opinions about the HSLDA (I am for them) I got trashed by a number of people. One guy in general is known for targeting Christians, yet the site owners still let him post on that board. :td He said some mean things about me in my comments section and in his blog, then on his website! I didn't realize this was a site that boycotted HSLDA and either way, shouldn't have allowed this. That guy wasn't the only one, btw and I started feeling threatened. It angers me that your freedom of speech gets threatened by others' freedom of speech. If that makes sense.

I think if I do something like that again, it wouldn't be on the web. I have my own journals, handwritten here at home. Or maybe you could set something up on your computer offline so you have your own personal journal. You can never be too careful with these things, IMO.

Leslie
09-21-2006, 03:50 PM
My main blog is on blogger.com, and it's unlisted at blogger.com so that only people I let know about it (like those here at GCM and my homeschool group) know it's there. I haven't had any problem with hateful comments, and since blogger.com doesn't limit itself to homeschoolers, they have no opinion/agenda about HSLDA or parenting methods, so they don't care which side of the fence you post on.

StarrMama
10-05-2006, 10:46 PM
We use blogger.com and it's only acessable to those who know the address. We love to share what's going on in our lives with friends and family who live far away. It's been a great tool to stay connected with people.