PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bible Stories Egermeier vs. Vos

liamum
09-18-2006, 09:06 PM
I have narrowed my list down to two potential Bible Story books:

Egermeier's Bible Story Book
and Catherine F. Vos' The Child's Story Bible

How do these compare?

Do you use just a Bible story book such as this, or also pair it with more of a full Children's Bible?

erinee
09-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, I would recommend Egermeier's every time. :tu It's published by my denomination's publishing company (Warner Press), so it's a family tradition. I was raised on it, as were my parents, and my children are now being raised on it. We have very old edition with the original artwork. It's beautiful.

Right now we're doing "Leading Little Ones to God" and if there is a Bible story that goes with the lesson we read it out of Egermeier's. We are going to start reading "Young People's Josephus" and will read Egermeier's along with that, too. Sometimes we'll just read a chapter of Egermeier's a night. But Egermeier's is always a part of our day. :heart

I can't say anything about the other, I'm not familiar with it.

lenswyf
09-19-2006, 04:59 AM
I don't know anything about the Vos Bible stories, but I can tell you that we really like Egermeiers. It was part of ds's K curriculum. If I'd seen it on a shelf, I might have passed it by because it has such old-fashioned pictures, but the stories are really well done and we all enjoyed reading it.

SueQ
09-19-2006, 05:19 AM
Another vote for Egermeiers. I grew up on it and enjoyed it and now my boys are enjoying it. :)

I don't know anything about the other one either.

Mama Calidad
09-19-2006, 06:56 AM
We have the Vos one. It was recomended as a part of DD's history curriculum. I haven't read much from it. :O DH does history with DD, so he's been the one reading it with the kids. They all like it. :tu

I was able to check it out of the library, so you might check with yours. You may be able to look at them side by side or one one week and the other the next and see what you think before you buy.

liamum
09-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Wow - lots of Ergermeier votes :)

Oh the Library is a good idea. I should check it out.

Winkie
10-04-2006, 02:14 AM
They had both in my library system. I prefer Egermeiers.

liamum
10-04-2006, 06:25 AM
I will have to check the library.

This Busy Mom
10-04-2006, 07:10 AM
We didn't care for Egermeiers.

We do have Vos but we're reading another one right now that goes with dd's curriculum. We also have another one with great illustrations... The Bible for Children from Good Books (Murray Watts & Helen Cann). We'll probably read this one first.

I couldn't decide, so I bought them all :O

liamum
10-04-2006, 07:18 AM
The Bible for Children from Good Books (Murray Watts & Helen Cann)

Oh, we have this one!! And I love it as well - beautifully written, and intelligent. I just like to have additional Bible stories.