PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do about this "co-op" opportunity

LittleSweetPeas
09-11-2006, 01:26 PM
I recently connected in with some moms from a local church playgroup. One of them asked me today if I was interested in doing a HS co-op preschool with them. They didnt even know I was considering/am HS. They want to meet once a week for 3 hours and rotate teaching. Play based but not Bible based.

I have two concerns about this. One is that they said they were going to have a babysitter for siblings because part of their reason for doing this is to give themselves time without kids each week. She did say that she knows not everyone feels like they need that but that it is a need for a couple of them so thats what the babysitter is for and part of the reason for doing preschool.

The second is that I had planned on attending Community Bible Study on the same day. I LOVE the CBS curriculum for the kids and DD thrived in the class. I loved the Bible memory work and she seemed to get a lot out of it as did I. I wouldnt be able to do CBS and the HS co-op and I'm not sure which might benefit her more. On one hand the co-op could really work out but on the other hand I have really felt strongly about utilizing these young years to build a godly foundation for her. The woman said that the co-op wouldn't be Bible focused but more preschool by Christians. I suppose that means background themes rather than direct teaching.

Does anyone have thoughts about this? I understand no one can make my decision but am not sure why I'm not 100% on this when in theory it sounds good. I have to make a decision quickly as CBS begins tommorow. I did ask if they planned on continuing to HS into elementary and none of them had committed to doing it as of yet.

Sara
09-11-2006, 04:34 PM
If it were me, I would go with the CBS, just based on the fact that you said you really like it and that your dd thrived there. I can definitely see where it would be a tough decision and the co-op does sound neat, but I'm not sure that it is meeting your goals if you want her to have a strong Biblical foundation. Also, the babysitting is an issue. That would be enough of a reason for me (because I have had two little ones who always want to be with mom) because it would make it stressful and logistically very difficult.