PDA

View Full Version : *Spinoff* of Gov Schwarzenegger's new bill and it has me disturbed!!!

purplerose
09-07-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm very disturbed about this new bill that Gov Arnie passed here in CA!! I couldn't stop thinking about it last night. I'm was so torn about hs'ing anyway, yk? I want to hs, but just am not sure if I am *able* to do it. Plus, my DD is such a social butterfly and she just can't wait to go to Kindy. And I've heard great things about the ps that we are supposed to go to. I had such wonderful memories of my ps experience as well. But I just can't believe that they passed this. I'm all about toleration and all that, but to put it in the curriculum? Ughgh. That just bothers me! And to even *make* private Christian colleges do it as well? Will this be the same for Private Christian schools? That's our other option, but it's very very expensive here in So Cal........................... :bheart :banghead :hissyfit

OpalsMom
09-07-2006, 04:22 PM
The governor vetoed that bill. http:// www.scrippsnews.com/node/12414

purplerose
09-07-2006, 05:01 PM
:ptl :dox :jump :dance :phew

RealLifeMama
09-07-2006, 07:30 PM
What was the bill?

inesperada
09-07-2006, 08:38 PM
What was the bill?

It stated that all schools receiving state aid (including private christian colleges at which students received state financial aid :jawdrop ) would have to be supportive of homosexuality.

hiddenhippie6
09-07-2006, 08:41 PM
The governor vetoed that bill. http:// www.scrippsnews.com/node/12414
:praise

BornFreeBaby
09-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Cross posting this:

There are actually 3 bills:
SB 1437 and AB 606 would force all California public schools to change their curricula and school policies to positively portray transsexuality, bisexuality, and homosexuality.

Meanwhile, AB 1056 would spend a quarter-million in tax dollars to promote transsexual, bisexual, and homosexual lifestyle under the name of “tolerance education.”

There was a rally / protest yesterday about these bills. I guess he has until Sept. 30th to veto or pass these or not.

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20060906/24301.htm

Mert
09-09-2006, 08:07 AM
I'm sad to say that he has already signed one bill, and I think it's a big one. Support homo-, bi- or transexual lifestyles or no $$. And no exceptions were made for religious private schools or colleges or businesses. And I agree this is disturbing and calls for lots of :pray.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51732

purplerose
09-09-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm so confused now. Some are saying he vetoed this bill and others are saying that he passed it. :scratch And it said "if any such institution has students with state funding" well, does that mean private Christian schools where students DON'T receive any funding? :think Would a K-8 Private Christian school recieve any type of state funding? I'm all about tolerance, but what about Christian tolerance? Why can't school teach about the birth of Christ? We can teach about everythign else BUT that? :td As dh says "This is another reason for homeschooling"

Cindy
09-09-2006, 06:39 PM
In the other thread it was discussed that in order to legally homeschool in CA you have to open a "private school" in your home. If "private schools" are not exempt from the bill, can they make homeschoolers teach the curriculum also?

Mert
09-09-2006, 07:47 PM
:tol

This is my understanding of the situation: There are several different bills being considered at this time, and Gov Arnie signed one, vetoed one and 2 are still pending. The one he signed basically says that any entity receiving funds from the state of Cal has to teach and condone what Cal says it has to. If you don't want to follow Gov Arnie's rules, then don't take his money. This probably isn't a big deal for private schools, but I'm sure colleges receive state-funded grant money for lots of in state students. Also, I wonder if it would affect any homeschooling families that recieve welfare-like help from the state. I don't know if there is such a thing on the state level, but if there is, I bet Gov Arnie gets a say in what is being taught.

I have not done a great deal of reading on this so if I've gotten this wrong please let me know.

fourbygrace
10-25-2006, 02:15 PM
I know that most people are not Focus on the Family fans, but two days ago I woke up to the radio with Dr. Dobson talking about this issue and he said that the governor did veto the bills, but beware because the issue is not dead yet.

You probably heard this already, but I wanted to post just in case.

Jillian
10-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Wait...so there is a cirriculum for sexual preference tolerance? :scratch

I mean, we shouldn't have to *teach* tolerance, it should be modeled. And whatever anyones sexual orientation is, they should be treated with kindness and respect.

Right? :shifty

Maybe I don't understand what is being said here, that happens alot lately...

Heather Micaela
10-25-2006, 02:25 PM
IT doesn't teach tolerance - it forces the idea of acceptance and goes so far as to applaud the lifestyle. And it makes it punishable to have a different POV. AND it would be integrated thourghout the curriculum - not just a special unit or something

Jillian
10-25-2006, 02:30 PM
IT doesn't teach tolerance - it forces the idea of acceptance and goes so far as to applaud the lifestyle. And it makes it punishable to have a different POV. AND it would be integrated thourghout the curriculum - not just a special unit or something

Oh. My. That's quite different than what I pictured it meaning. Yikes.