PDA

View Full Version : Too Late to Start

OnlyBelieve
09-02-2006, 11:31 AM
I am finally deciding that I am going to homeschool JJ. I will not be able to start until mid-October.....we are in Jamaica and the books and stuff will take a while to get here. Will that be too late?? I assume it will not,but I am totally clueless about homeschooling.
He will be in kindergarten and I plan on using MFW.

DogwoodMama
09-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Isn't that the beauty of homeschooling, that you can be flexible and adapt things to meet your family's needs? :grin You don't have to be on a "public school" schedule. :tu

booboo
09-02-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't know about the hs'ing laws in Jamaica. But I don't think mid October is too late. Hs'ing is flexible! That's the cool thing about it. :yes Start when you're ready to!

OnlyBelieve
09-02-2006, 02:33 PM
I do not know if Jamaica has homeschooling laws :shrug But, we are only going to be here for a few more months so it does not matter. I love the flexibility of homeschooling. I think ds is going to love it too.

AttachedMamma
09-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Sounds great! And there are plenty of other fun teachable moments in your daily lives that you can use until you get a curriculum (which isn't mandatory). :-)

OnlyBelieve
09-04-2006, 07:30 AM
You are right, there is so much I can do until I get the curriculum.

hiddenhippie6
09-04-2006, 07:35 AM
No way! It is never too late. You can start when ever you want. You are the whole board of education. :giggle Especially for K. IF you want to get started earlier, maybe they have some of those counting, letter, cut color paste workbooks at the store?? I am not even using a curriculum for my K now. We just use those worksheets and there is alot of free worksheets on the internet. :tu

Leslie
09-05-2006, 11:27 PM
You are right, there is so much I can do until I get the curriculum.

That's so true - read books, count and measure things, be observant about life and nature and talk about things - that's all educational. For a kindergartner, no curriculum will teach more than doing those things and having two-way dialog with a caring adult about it.