PDA

View Full Version : helping a friend start hs'ing..any tips?

booboo
09-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Here's the deal: her son is 18 years old. He refused to go back to school due to depression. Obviously some issues there. My friend is a former coworker and she's a Christian. I think her son would just have to do senior year. My friend, I'll say "B" really wants him to finish school and wants to homeschool him but doesn't know where to start, or if he'll even do it. I mentioned that Christian Light has accredited curriculum and so does Christian Liberty, though that one is a bit dry.

I gave her links to homeschool.com and the hslda website (they have something about Generation Joshua). Her son is a good kid, don't get me wrong. I really want to help them out.

Any ideas how I can help her, get her started? I did offer her some curriculum catalogs that I have. I can't get them to her today because of the weather (thank you, Ernesto!) but hopefully sometime this weekend. Any thing else I can do?

Thanks..

AttachedMamma
09-04-2006, 08:56 AM
I would highly recommend a support group in her area...and someone to help mentor/coach her and her son. If her son is suffering from depression mainly due to school, then she is wise by getting him out of there. This could be a huge turning point for him.

Sending prayers. :pray

booboo
09-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I know someone who is very knowledgeable with homeschooling. She may be able to help in finding a mentor for her. Thanks for the suggestion! Her ds is very confined, only wants to stay inside all the time. I feel bad for him. He's not like this terrible kid - doesn't do drugs, etc. He used to work at the crafts store I worked at and though he was quiet, I never had a problem with him.

I'm really glad she's looking into doing this. :tu