PDA

View Full Version : Hello. I'm a bookaholic. .. .

Chris3jam
08-31-2006, 05:32 PM
also known as a bibliophile. The only reason we need a new house (bigger) is for my (er. . .our) books. I just ordered *more* from Bookcloseouts.com. I'm more excited than the kids. Which is a shame. . . ..someone. . . .please stop me. Please. I'm looking at the floor in the den. . .it's half covered with books. And there's more. . . .there's at least one more batch coming from Valerieslivingbooks.. . . now this one from Bookcloseouts . ... .I'm looking at one from abebooks. . .. . .PLEASE! Stop me!!!!

Please. .. someone please create a support forum! I need some accountability! I need to be able to talk to someone before it happens again. ..and again.. .. and again. . .. .. ..!

mom2_AthruZ
08-31-2006, 06:02 PM
Please. .. someone please create a support forum! I need some accountability! I need to be able to talk to someone before it happens again. ..and again.. .. and again. . .. .. ..!

I would say I would start one Chris but my user name likely gives away the fact that I would be the last person to call on for accountability. :giggle When we moved from MI to GA I was so excited that we were going to have wall space for bookshelves. When we were loading the moving truck probably the biggest complaint dh had was the amount of boxes containing books. I keep thinking if I just buy more books one day he will see how many he will actually have to move and we will just stay put!! :laughtears :shifty

I haven't been to Valeries site in a long time and I didn't know about book close outs so in your quest for some accountability you have just become a bad influence because I am about to go shopping!! :heart :mrgreen You will have to let me know when the library sales are around here. Then we can go together and support one another. :tu

J3K
08-31-2006, 06:15 PM
I say this with love...and I know you didn't ask for this...You really should be saving for their college funds honey. You don't need to be spending that kind of money on books. Closeout or not. I really hope you are watching out for bookmites. Nasty little creatures. And silverfish. Books can collect massive amounts of dust and that's just not healthy to breathe. Wouldn't you feel better mentally if you got rid of everything ? Organized it ? Donated the bulk to a needy cause ? Let go of this addiction that can really in truly ruin your pocket book and create havoc in your home.

Those are things I tell myself about my book problem. situation issues ... :think My book input quantities. ;)

hsgbdmama
08-31-2006, 06:18 PM
Hi Chris! I'm Jodi, and I've been a bookaholic ... er ... connoisseur ... yeah, that's the ticket ... for many years! :giggle

Chris3jam
08-31-2006, 06:38 PM
I say this with love...and I know you didn't ask for this...You really should be saving for their college funds honey. You don't need to be spending that kind of money on books. Closeout or not. I really hope you are watching out for bookmites. Nasty little creatures. And silverfish. Books can collect massive amounts of dust and that's just not healthy to breathe. Wouldn't you feel better mentally if you got rid of everything ? Organized it ? Donated the bulk to a needy cause ? Let go of this addiction that can really in truly ruin your pocket book and create havoc in your home.

You would *not* seriously ask me to part with my original copy of Tom Sawyer . . . .or my 1904 hard copy of Song of Our Syrian Guest (I found an original for $2). . .. or my French book on tropical and exotic birds (of which most are extinct -- which I got for a song- - er - -- no pun intended), each page of which has a brilliant colorful rendition of a different bird. . . .or my Hebrew Bible. . .. or my nursing books. . .. or the Boxcar Kids books. . .. or my Dr. Dolittle books. . .. .or the Mouse and the motorcycle books. .. . or my German books . . .. .or my "Pharaohs and Kings". . . .or my countless nutrition papers and books and cookbooks. . .. my Roman Imperial cookbook (I know how to cook boar. . .). . .my early American cookbooks. . . .my Henty book. ... my old (hardback) hymnals I got from estate sales. . .. .Herriot books. .. .. . Treasure Island. . . . ..Moby Dick. . . . .."Mysteries of Creation". . . . ..history. . .. . art. . .. .oh. .. . .you are NOT seriously telling me this, right? This is a joke, no? Can't they work for college like everyone else? Go into debt? :bheart

Mama Calidad
08-31-2006, 06:39 PM
No help here. Spent nearly $200 last week at B&N on half-priced classics. :O

J3K
08-31-2006, 06:46 PM
heehee Chris...did you read my whole post ? Those are things I tell MYSELF about my extensive collection when I feel guilty about the space it takes up and the money I spend.

However...if you took me seriously...I'd be more than happy to take that Tom Sawyer book off your hands. :mrgreen

Chris3jam
08-31-2006, 06:56 PM
did you read my whole post
Yes. .. . :kiss ;)

However...if you took me seriously...I'd be more than happy to take that Tom Sawyer book off your hands.

>clutches book tightly to her chest< *gasp* Please! Don't even joke! *gasp* >gently strokes poor Tom's head. .. .now, now, she didn't mean it. . .no one will ever take you away from mommy<

I couldn't *believe* the woman GAVE it to me!

(The Henty reader is an original, too - -- estate sale - -guy brought a bunch of books to our church. .. sold them for 3 and 4 dollars.. .. . . . :P)

Just for the record. . . .. I always look for the deal. I think that I'm actually pretty smart about it. . . .. except for certain scientific and medical books (which you can't get deals on), I don't think I've ever paid "full price" for a book. . . .

Garnet
08-31-2006, 07:02 PM
Hi, I'm Kelli and I'm a book aholic. I have over 100 books that are mine, my own, personal books. Books that only I read. And re read. This is not counting the books in my basement. Just those in the wall unit of the living room, and my bedroom. I threw a book away because my children had torn the cover and I had to restrain myself from pulling it back out. A book is my friend, it tells me stories, it entertains me. When I read a book I like my world is not so limited, I learn new things, see new sights. I can travel in my books. When I read good books I forget how sad I sometimes am or how my world isn't what it should be/ what I thought it would be. Books inspire me to do better/be better. I've read books that healed me and books that made me laugh and cry all at the same time. Even the books I no longer have, their words live on in my head. I can tell you passages of Shakespeare, excerpts from The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, parts of Little Women, books I haven't read in 10+ years.

Yup, I'm a book aholic.

booboo
09-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Hi I'm Christine and I'm a bookaholic. My username booboo suits me well. :P~ A few months ago, I spend around $10 on books at a yard sale, most of which cost only 10 cents each. :shifty At least they were all educational!

I'm also a collector of cross stitch patterns, which I like getting in books. :giggle

A friend of mine gave me a bookshelf recently which we gladly accepted. Though she looked at my house and wondered where we put it. My dh had it in a spot that very night and that was last Saturday.

It's a good thing I haven't visited bookcloseouts yet. My dh would have my head! :shifty

On the bright side, the kids are well read! :mrgreen

ChristianMother27
09-01-2006, 08:53 AM
buy e-books lol. then all you need is extra hard drive space ;)

illinoismommy
09-01-2006, 10:17 AM
We love books too, but its getting out of hand.... we're thinking about selling some of ours from college on ebay or something, but haven't figured out how to do it :scratch

ChristianMother27
09-01-2006, 10:18 AM
We love books too, but its getting out of hand.... we're thinking about selling some of ours from college on ebay or something, but haven't figured out how to do it :scratch

list them on half.com that's what DH does and we've sold a lot. it's a partner of ebay.

illinoismommy
09-01-2006, 10:35 AM
it said server not available.... can you tell me all about it? :shifty

ChristianMother27
09-01-2006, 10:39 AM
it said server not available.... can you tell me all about it? :shifty

i've never been to the half.com site myself but DH just lists the books we have (he might have to do this by that universal code that books have but i'm not sure) - and it lists them. when he sells a book, they get a percentage of the sale, and you ship the book off. it's nothing to list the books though. we've sold lots of books this way and we have the money deposited to our paypal account and then we send the paypal money to our bank account. all of that is free.

Marielle
09-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I used to be a bookaholic and a packrat. Then I saw the light. Hubby's still a bookaholic. Right now I get tons of use from the library and the 'net. I figure my reading list is unique to who I am and my experiences. My children as homeschoolers will have the same journey to discovering their own love for whichever books they pick up - and likely they won't necessarily be books I would have read.

illinoismommy
09-01-2006, 11:27 AM
I would love to use the library.... but can you believe almost every book I want to read is not even in the interlibrary system?? Ahhh!!! I guess I am a strange person.... like I want to read Dumbing Us Down by John Gatto but I can't unless I can get enough money to buy it.... which is why I need to sell some books....

Marielle
09-01-2006, 11:29 AM
I would love to use the library.... but can you believe almost every book I want to read is not even in the interlibrary system?? Ahhh!!! I guess I am a strange person.... like I want to read Dumbing Us Down by John Gatto but I can't unless I can get enough money to buy it.... which is why I need to sell some books....

really? I'm blessed then. I'm in an area where despite it being a regional branch the selection is amazing and interlibrary stuff gets there ASAP since it's not too far away. There have been a book here and there I've had to buy but I rarely keep them - pass them onto other AP/homeschooling parents or sell them.

illinoismommy
09-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I think my entire idea is not friendly to "new" ideas.... although homeschooling is :scratch but somehow that doesn't translate into their library.... AP type books, you can forget it, except *some* by Sears... but none of the behavior/discipline ones recommended here... and nothing on natural healing and wellness.... and they wouldn't dare stock a single book on vaccinations either.... :mad

Ahhh amazon.... how I love thee....

hsgbdmama
09-01-2006, 02:39 PM
No help here. Spent nearly $200 last week at B&N on half-priced classics. :O

:raisinghandinshame :sorry That's my fault. :shifty :laughtears

hsgbdmama
09-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Janet, we've gotten several college textbooks from half.com, and have saved TONS of money! :tu

Chris3jam
09-01-2006, 04:16 PM
I literally made myself busy with something else so I wouldn't go. . .. .( I wonder if it's still going on? :shifty)

DogwoodMama
09-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Bookaholic here too... I satisfy myself by making Amazon wish-lists. :O And I just wasted over an hour looking at Valerie's Living Books- thanks Chris! ;) :giggle

Ilaria
09-01-2006, 07:58 PM

Amazon.com is really good for selling textbooks, too. They take a % of the sale as commission, but they also give you an allowance for mailing the book.

illinoismommy
09-01-2006, 08:42 PM
I should mention they're not all classic "textbooks" .... lot of them are religious material and religious reference resources that we don't use anymore.... :shrug

AttachedMamma
09-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi, I'm Cindi and I'm a recovering non fiction bookaholic. :giggle

It all started with my 1st job as a newspaper delivery girl at age 13. I couldn't get enough of print, so I got summer jobs at the library. I loved shelving books, organizing books. I would spend hours in the aisles, thumbing through the pages, learning the authors names. I never wanted to leave the library. I was entranced with all the knowledge at my fingertips.

It got worse after I joined a book club. I would end my membership, only to have them seduce me back in. I've been book-club free for 10+ years now.

When I moved to Germany after DH and I married, I had all my books mailed over there. Boxes and boxes of them I brought into the post office. It was embarrassing.

Every town I visit, I have to check out their library and bookstores.

Amazon's free shipping over $X has been a real problem for me.

We've recently moved out of state to a smaller house where our wall space is limited. Next week I will be taking a box of books to the used book store. (sniff, sniff) Pray for me, sisters. :grin

mom2_AthruZ
09-02-2006, 10:20 AM
It got worse after I joined a book club. I would end my membership, only to have them seduce me back in. I've been book-club free for 10+ years now.

This made me chuckle. It sounds like a sound bite someone would use for the newest reality t.v. show "Bookworm" or something like that. :giggle

illinoismommy
09-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Amazon's free shipping over $X has been a real problem for me.

Me too!! Then I justify it.... because free shipping means its cheaper than the 45 minute drive each way to the bookstores (gas), so I may as well just buy it now while I am looking at it... :doh

Leslie
09-05-2006, 11:42 PM
You would *not* seriously ask me to part with my original copy of Tom Sawyer . . . .or my 1904 hard copy of Song of Our Syrian Guest (I found an original for $2). . ..

I don't buy any book that I wouldn't let my kids handle - no first editions, no old books with delicate bindings. Well, except for my prized copy of Mornings in Florence with the pretty rose pattern on the cover . . .

I also keep pretty much to a booklist. I don't buy any book that isn't on my list unless we have a specific interest in the subject. That helps to limit us.

But it's not foolproof - we ended up with duplicate copies of Animal Farm and John Adams because I forgot we already had them. :rolleyes And now my sons want their own personal copies of their favorite books. So, in spite of my limits that help us to come home from the used bookstore with only four books instead of twenty, we still have more than we can manage. I believe the solution lies in creative shelving. We have a wide (seven foot) doorway between our dining room/family room, and we're considering putting a seven foot shelf above the trim on either side above the doorway. That will allow us fourteen more feet for books.

Chris3jam
09-06-2006, 07:07 AM
I don't buy any book that I wouldn't let my kids handle - no first editions, no old books with delicate bindings. Well, except for my prized copy of Mornings in Florence with the pretty rose pattern on the cover . . .

There are very few books I don't let my kids handle. Some of them just have "adult" content, though (certain art books, etc.). I just make sure that they know that books are very special friends. . .you treat them nicely. And there are some books that we read just with mommy. . .just because they're bigger or harder to handle.

illinoismommy
09-06-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm looking up the prices of some of these hard cover commentaries and stuff and we're going to be rich selling these :giggle Then I can replace them with new books :grin