PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Hebrew to 5 yo???

caringmommy
08-31-2006, 03:54 PM
I asked my 5 yo today if he wants to learn spanish or french and he said he wants to learn hebrew. :scratch He saw a cd and book at the library the last time we were there. It's the second time he's asked. He said he wants to learn it so he can talk to God when he gets to heaven. :giggle But, I don't know anything about hebrew. I guess we'll check out the stuff we saw from the library but then what? Any suggestions? It may just be a passing phase, but if he's interested, I'd love to pursue it. I'm not looking for anything super formal, but I would need something that helped with pronunciation. A cd of songs or something?

QuiltinGramma
08-31-2006, 08:04 PM
That's Cool !!!!!
Teach him while he's young.....he'll learn it quicker.
My sympathy to you for having to learn it ahead of him. :giggle
Not really........I hope you have a lot of fun with it.
:heart

inesperada
08-31-2006, 08:58 PM
This is the text (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0310237602?v=glance) that dh used the first year that he studied Hebrew in college. I wouldn't recommend much of it for a 5 yo, but the cd rom that comes with it is pretty fantastic. :tu

KitKat
08-31-2006, 08:58 PM
I used to have the link, but if you google Torah Tots, it will come up. They have fun little coloring sheets and stuff to learn the Aleph Bet (hebrew ABC's---Aleph, Bet, Gimel, Dalet etc) You do need to learn a different alphabet.

ArmsOfLove
09-01-2006, 10:32 AM
We are using the Hebrew Word Pictures book I got and learning one letter a week this year :tu

caringmommy
09-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! The biggest thing that's intimidating to me is the pronunciation. I've taken enough German, French and Spanish to wing my way through any of those languages at least for the beginning levels. But Hebrew, not a clue! It will be a fun adventure!

KitKat
09-01-2006, 03:00 PM
The hardest part will be the CHHHHH. It is like trying to clear your throat or something. Other than that, it isn't too difficult as far as pronunciation goes.

hsgbdmama
09-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks, Crystal -- I just ordered a used Hebrew Word Picture book used off of Amazon! :tu (With all the various discussions about the Hebrew text, I think it would be good for all of us to learn more!!)