PDA

View Full Version : I need discipline help for my schooling

abcmommy
08-29-2006, 02:27 PM
I am afraid to start school.

My 9 yo is completely out of sorts from our recent move half way across the country. He is angry and depressed.

I feel paralyzed to help him bc I feel the same way.

I am white knuckling it, iykwim.

He isnt- he is acting out- speaking rudely to everyone.

We have eased into some science work and notebooking. He resists everything and yells "its stupid!"

I just am at aloss. today I put him in the corner, actually, I pulled him there and stood him with his nose in the corner.

it was awful.

I know its not the way to encourage him.

Help me to be positive in the face of his ugly attitude. give me some grace based approaches to getting school going. I am not an unschooler and I need the structure provided by my curriculum (SL and Noeo science) , but I do try to do as much super fun stuff as possible.

heartofjoy
08-29-2006, 03:19 PM
:hug

Can you just take a few weeks off the curriculum while you all adjust and destress? I'll bet you can help him better when you're feeling more calm yourself.

J3K
08-29-2006, 03:33 PM
I say it's time to explore your new community. Take a drive encouraging him to write down street names. Maybe he can make a map when he gets home ?

We moved every three years when I was growing up. With much credit to my mother , to ease us into situations , we'd take "adventure tours". Just pile in the car and drive. Just me , my brother and Mom. We'd wander for hours. Get lost quite frequently. Have to stop and ask directions home. It was never anxiety driven or panicked though. It was FUN.

How about asking him what he wants to study ? Spaceships ? Oceans ? :scratch hmmm.... Trucks ? Take a trip to the library and let him choose some books to read. Take the books to a park to read them. Bring stale bread to feed to the geese.

Make it an adventure and not something to white knuckle thru. Find your local homeschool chapter and introduce yourselves. You can google it..your city , state and 'homeschool chapters'.

abcmommy
08-30-2006, 06:00 AM
I am trying to do just as you suggested Jennifer- get to know the community. good ideas about the adventure tours.

I feel like I must start school bc he needs some structure. Otherwise they just laze around all day and get into trouble from boredom.

Cindy
08-30-2006, 11:13 AM
I feel like I must start school bc he needs some structure. Otherwise they just laze around all day and get into trouble from boredom.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a baby a month ago, and my kids have been all out of sorts. Since I started school this week, my daughter has been so much happier and things feel "normal" again. I really think she needed it.

CelticJourney
08-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Maybe start with his favorite subject. Look over the science curriculum and ask him what topic he wants to do - choices are a powerful pull. Maybe a history study of your new home state or area?

In the end, I think my response to 'it's stupid' would be "ok, but 'stupid' needs to be done by lunch time."

Cindy
08-31-2006, 10:43 AM
In the end, I think my response to 'it's stupid' would be "ok, but 'stupid' needs to be done by lunch time."

:giggle i like that one!