PDA

View Full Version : who are the maxwells? titus 2

abcmommy
08-29-2006, 01:20 PM
They put out books like Managers of Our Home, Homeschooling with a Meek and Gentle Spirit and such.

Are these supporters of the Old Schoolhouse magazine and the Pearls?

Mama Calidad
08-29-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't know who they are associated with, but they are highly punitive and very scheduled. Not AP and not GBD.

heartofjoy
08-29-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't know who they are associated with, but they are highly punitive and very scheduled. Not AP and not GBD.

Can you point me to where they are highly punitive? I have never read anything punitive in their books, and I have been looking for a reference. I understand their messageboard is pretty punitive, but have the Maxwells ever printed anything regarding punitive discipline? I agree they are not AP.

Mama Calidad
08-29-2006, 01:31 PM
The only stuff of theirs that I've read has been on their message board. I didn't understand the question to be referring soley to their books.

abcmommy
08-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I had a nasty suspicion that this was the case.:(

I paid 40$ to join a local HSing co-op and the first meeting was several days ago. The leaders recommended Managers of their Chores and read a devotional by this couple.

Th edevotional was quite good actually.

I hope I havent joined a group where my children will see very punitive parenting.

heartofjoy
08-29-2006, 02:22 PM
I have read several of the Maxwells books, and I have never seen a reference towards punitive parenting. :shrug

I would guess they probably are punitive, like the rest of the conservative Christian community, but I don't think they preach it.

Their messageboards are something else. I have not ever been there, but I have heard stories.

I would dearly LOVE to know if any of their printed materials have references to punitive parenting. Or even references to punitive material like the Pearl's or Tripp.

Their devotions and their managing books are very good if you are a highly scheduled type person. The only issue I have with them is that they believe if they don't schedule, they aren't following God's Word. However, they do encourage you to read the Scriptures and come to your own conclusions.

ChristmasGirl
08-29-2006, 03:36 PM
well, i used to be a part of their titus2 momsboard until 3 years ago, and shortly after I left/got kicked off, they shut the board down I believe due to all of the "attacks" that they felt were against them. :shrug It was *their* board, and they chose to preview every single post to make sure that only their beliefs were upheld. (i.e. I could not talk about public school b/c they only supported homeschooling. dresses only. no competetive sports. no tv. sheltering etc. they did not even approve my post in which i said i was leaving the board with a vague "God is leading our family in a different direction") They allowed links to the Pearls, even though they said that they did not condone discussion on disciplining babies :scratch

that said, i do not know if any of their materials are out rightly punitive...but I do not agree with their level of control and censoring, and I wouldn't personally spend my money on supporting their ministry. but that's me.

hsgbdmama
08-29-2006, 03:58 PM
I've heard mixed things about their scheduling methods (from exactly what was needed to ***way*** too rigid); I had also heard that they "changed" -- sheltering their children greatly (not allowing them to have friends other than each other) as well as some other lifestyle changes, but then again it is something I had heard, don't know how much is true. :/