PDA

View Full Version : Homeschool when DC really wants to go to school???

hey mommy
08-25-2006, 12:54 PM
how do you do that? My ds is in daycare/preschool 3 hours a day, 3 days a week(used to be 5 days). His friend there just started Kinder. and his cousin is now in 1st. grade, so I had to explain to C why his cousin is in Kinder. C now wants to go to Kinder and was planning on waiting until he is 6 before I send him. Now, after hanging around you wonderful ladies, and realizing we may not have the money for private school, I am thinking I could homeschool him. I've been thinking about that for a while anyway..

So, what do you do when they really want to go to school w/the other kids?

Mother of Sons
08-25-2006, 01:21 PM
This is not meant to be snotty I promise!

What do you do when they really want to drive the car? or have a beer? Or stay up till midnight? Or eat candy for breakfast?

It's not an option right? Same with homeschool. If you decide you want to homeschool them, then that's the way it is.

My kids have all asked to go to school at one point or another. I asked them what it was they wanted from school and it ranged from getting to ride the bus to getting to have a backpack.

RealLifeMama
08-25-2006, 01:22 PM
I struggled with this a lot when DD was younger. I think that our culture paints a picture of children marching off to school all day at 5yo and children see that everywhere and younger kids just latch on to the idea and get excited about it. I remember last year when DD when get soooo excited to see the school buses and would say how she could not wait to ride one, go to school, etc.

Now that she is 5, lots of her friends and contacts are going off to school this year, and it is also the first question anyone asks her when they find out how old she is. "Are you going to be starting kindergarten?" and she says "My mom is going to homeschool me" and is really excited about it.
I would not worry about your child at preschool age. When the time comes, your DS will be fine with it.
There is one neighborhood child who is around a lot that keeps talking about going to school and when DD said she was going to be homeschooled, the little girl said "Homeschool- that is soooo boring!!!" and DD was like "No it's not!" (children like that are why I am keeping her home!!!)

Also, getting involved with other children that are going to homeschool is important, too, so it seems more "normal" to your child I think.

Moon
08-25-2006, 01:30 PM
I wrote this up once already, it went into lost post land.  :hissyfit

Back to the OP. I would give them school in fantasy ("What do you think you'd do there?" "What would that be like?" etc) but matter of factly tell them they're hsed if asked point blank.

We absolutely consider homeschooling to be the best for our children. That age wouldn't have an option in this house. They might want a plate full of cookies for dinner but they'll get spaghetti and veggies put on their plate regardless. That's what's best for them. :-)

hey mommy
08-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Thanks.. I guess I was actually wondering what to tell HIM about it. LOL.. We have many things already that are non-negotiable(sp??) and I think when the time comes he'll be okay w/homsechooling.. Besides, he's such a homebody, he prefers to stay home anyway..

So, if I'm going to homeschool, should I start when he's 5 or 6?

milkmommy
08-25-2006, 02:06 PM
This is not meant to be snotty I promise!

What do you do when they really want to drive the car? or have a beer? Or stay up till midnight? Or eat candy for breakfast?

It's not an option right? Same with homeschool. If you decide you want to homeschool them, then that's the way it is.

My kids have all asked to go to school at one point or another. I asked them what it was they wanted from school and it ranged from getting to ride the bus to getting to have a backpack.

I agree what ever your choice is this is an area you decide on.

Deanna

RealLifeMama
08-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks.. I guess I was actually wondering what to tell HIM about it. LOL.. We have many things already that are non-negotiable(sp??) and I think when the time comes he'll be okay w/homsechooling.. Besides, he's such a homebody, he prefers to stay home anyway..

So, if I'm going to homeschool, should I start when he's 5 or 6?

Oh, well, in that case, I guess if he asks about just tell him.
I told my DD when she was 4 or so when she kept asking about the bus and all, and I told her that some children go away during the day to do their learning at school and some children will stay home and learn. We also told her that even if she did go to away during the day to school, we would not be letting her ride the bus!!

LittleSweetPeas
08-25-2006, 02:36 PM
I completely understand and my DD is 3. She talks about it all the time and has a Mister Rogers episode TIVO'd that is all about going to kindergarten and she watches it all the time. :doh

When she talks about it I tell her that lots of families do school in different ways. Some kids go to school on school buses, some go in cars, some go to special schools at churches and some families do school at home. I talk about the neighbors up the street who do school at home so she can *see* that there are actual people who go to school at home. I try to take the focus off of "school" and put it on learning. I tell her that we will do all the same things at home that some kids do at school and it will be SO MUCH FUN! :rockon I tell her we will learn how to read, we will learn how to draw pictures and do science experiments--whatever seems to grasp her interest. Usually she fills in here and starts to say, "And we will draw and do art projects and learn how bees sleep"

I also have signed her up for a creative dance class that is run through a Christian dance studio so I know there will be HS kids her age and older there. We are also going to join a HS group this year. I figure if she is around people just like her then it will feel more "normal" when a time comes around in which others might make her feel less normal. Kind of a pre-exposure idea to me.

I understand your feelings though but I know for me some of my worries come out of me not being sure if this is the right decision for us. I am still exploring it and I know she will miss out on some aspects of school that truly are fun. But I dont have so much of a problem with school itself as with its restrictions on the depths of learning I want my child to experience. Those can be very different things IMO. Its a careful balance for me not to be negative about school and instead be positive about the great opportunity for her to learn in our home. :) HTH!

AttachedMamma
08-25-2006, 08:23 PM
I usually hear that parents try to find out what it is they like about school and then try to meet that need. :shrug

My dd wants to be home schooled; however, she really wants to be around other kids allllllll day. So, I'm curious how our 1st year of HSing will look. :nails (This from a girl who was a velcro baby/child until almost age 5...and I could *never* have imagined she'd want to leave my side. I guess AP worked! :giggle)

DebraBaker
08-26-2006, 01:54 PM
I guess I think there may be valid reasons to send a child who wants to go to school to school.

The first thing that popped into my head is the situation when a child is very extroverted and the parents are introverted. My SIL and BIL are likely like this. The parents and one child are extremely introverted and are content to simply be at home. The second child is very extroverted and gregarious. They homeschool and the extroverted one doesn't get out much, when she does, she's crazy bouncing off the walls overly affectionate. She's not being naughty, just annoying because she's so happy to be with people she can't contain herself. I could see this child really yearning for school.

FourCutieBugs
08-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Insert Quote
I guess I think there may be valid reasons to send a child who wants to go to school to school.

The first thing that popped into my head is the situation when a child is very extroverted and the parents are introverted. My SIL and BIL are likely like this. The parents and one child are extremely introverted and are content to simply be at home. The second child is very extroverted and gregarious. They homeschool and the extroverted one doesn't get out much, when she does, she's crazy bouncing off the walls overly affectionate. She's not being naughty, just annoying because she's so happy to be with people she can't contain herself. I could see this child really yearning for school.

My oldest is very extroverted and so am I. Which is one of the many reasons I decided to send him to kindergarten this year. turns out, (as you can read in the public school forum,) that he is very homesick now. :( I also put him in school this year beacuase I am overwhelmed, tend towards depression under such circumstances, and am also very disorganized, and I have another baby ETA Feb 5th. My kids are all little and close in age, and I have met no one who has homeschooled with their kids at these particular ages, so I take that to mean it would require mental health and organization and would probably still be difficult to achieve. With my son in school, who is a live wire and personally poorly disciplined probably BECAUSE of my own problems in these areas, I have made huge srtides in improving myself, and can see now that it may actually be possible for next year if I can break my own bad habits and organize myself, and cocentrate on good mental health and preparing for this new baby and defending against PPD.

All that said, the tears and the faking sick have been :bheart :( Very unexpected from a kid who is normally off the walls to see other kids. And i am going to be conferencing with his teacher in the am to see if he is emotionally ready for school which he may not be. He just turned 5 friday, and many of the other children have several months on him. So we'll see.

HTH. :)

snlmama
08-28-2006, 08:30 AM
Sorry, I realized this was in the homeschooling support forum and decided my question wasn't appropriate here. :O I was reading from the new posts index. :O

Wholly Mama
08-28-2006, 08:47 AM
((((((((Janice))))))))
My oldest ds really has a desire to go to school because that's what he sees all the other kids doing, and he loves being around other kids. What he doesn't understand is that school is not play time! He would probably always be in trouble because he would want to just talk and play with the other kids the whole time!
It's probably going to be hard since your ds is used to going to an institution and being around many children during the day on a regular basis. Reassure him that he will still be able to be around other kids, and make sure it happens! I understand the real need in my ds to be around other kids, so I've involved him in activities such as swimming and awanas where he gets to interact with other kids his age. Also, finding a homeschooling group to be able to socialize with. You can also reassure him that when the other kids get home from school he can play with them!

Pheobe - I'm sorry that your ds is having such a hard time in P.S.! Just wanted to offer you hugs :hug and the courage to follow what you think is best for your whole family. I'm homeschooling my family, who are similar in ages to yours, and I'm due around when you are as well. Everyone's telling me I can't do it, but I'm going to prove they're wrong!! It *is* taking discipline on my part to become more organized, but it's ended up being beneficial for all of us - not that this is what's right for you, just that now you know someone who's done/doing it!

FourCutieBugs
08-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Wow, Amy, glad to know you. :) I don't mean to say it can't be done at all, I just know *I* wouldn't be able do it *this year*. I've experimented with it, and I just haven't been able to make anything work. I haven't had the mental, spiritual, emotional, and physical resources to do it. So I am working on those issues to see if I can make it work one day.It's definitely one of those decisions that must be prayerfully made by each individual family. And I wholeheartedly support you in your decsion/efforts. In fact, I could probably learn alot from you. :hug

J3K
08-28-2006, 11:29 AM
TO that question (I haven't read responses) I always flip it....

What would you say to a child who wanted to stay home with mama all day but the mama made him go to school ? Is that considered cruel ? Not thinking of the child ? Putting the mother's needs ahead of the child?

Why is that scenario okay , but the flip of that isn't ?

When my kids have asked to go to school I tell them that isn't what we feel is best for them. We can see the bigger picture and they cannot.

FourCutieBugs
08-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Ok, things have changed since yesterday. I spoke with my son's teacher, and I decided to take him out of school. I am now exploring all options, which are half-day at a private christian school, and homeschooling, and nothing. :D I have no clue. I'm :pray