PDA

View Full Version : When do you start?

Mama Rophe
08-24-2006, 10:18 PM
I was wondering... At what age do you start preschool. Some tell me I should start with structured learning now and others tell me to wait a year. DS just turned 2 in June.

SueQ
08-24-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't do formal preschool and do nothing formal until they are at least 5 and even then we only work on a few basic things (reading, writing, and math) in a fun and non-school like way. (Using games and things around the house to learn sounds and numbers. Writing letters in sand or corn meal with fingers, etc. Running, jumping, climbing, listening to music, and reading lots of books are important for young children.) Until then we do a lot of reading, dance, sing, finger plays and rhymes, and discuss colors and shapes as we go about our day to day living. ("Please hand me the blue, round bowl.") They help me sort laundry, bake cookies, set the table, sweep and mop the floor. IMO at this age play is their work and the whole world is their school. ;)

cindergretta
08-24-2006, 11:09 PM
I don't do formal preschool and do nothing formal until they are at least 5 and even then we only work on a few basic things (reading, writing, and math) in a fun and non-school like way. (Using games and things around the house to learn sounds and numbers. Writing letters in sand or corn meal with fingers, etc. Running, jumping, climbing, listening to music, and reading lots of books are important for young children.) Until then we do a lot of reading, dance, sing, finger plays and rhymes, and discuss colors and shapes as we go about our day to day living. ("Please hand me the blue, round bowl.") They help me sort laundry, bake cookies, set the table, sweep and mop the floor. IMO at this age play is their work and the whole world is their school. ;)

:yes :tu ITA.

Structured learning? Given that their ability to sit still at this age correlates directly to their age, you're looking at 2 minutes of structure! ;) The learning really is in the environment you provide--- does he get to help with the baby, laundry, cooking, cleaning? Do you read him stories? Sing and dance around to music? Or does he sit and watch TV for 12 hours a day while you are saying "Not right now. Maybe later," whenever he wants a story or to help you? Since I sincerely doubt THAT is the case, don't worry. Play games with him, do puzzles, take walks, go to the zoo, the aquarium, the Post Office! He is a sponge and he is learning. And he doesn't need "structure" to do it in!! :grin :hug

hsgbdmama
08-25-2006, 06:13 AM
:hunh That's the traditional school mode. :no

Playing, exploring, being read to, coloring, building and so on -- that is his school time. Let him be a little boy. :hug

inesperada
08-25-2006, 06:26 AM
My ds is nearing 3 and we are just starting more structured learning. My version of structured learning is entirely unstructured, though. :) I have a hard time really engaging with my ds unless I plan something, so our structured learning is really just lots of planned play. :) I'm planning big art projects, science play, math related games, lots of reading, and Bible activities. :) Most come out of books I'm hoping to get. :)

4Cygnets
08-25-2006, 06:40 AM
I agree with all above :tu Less is truly more!!

allisonintx
08-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Evelyn will be 5 in January, and she's doing about 10 minutes of structured learning every day :) at her own insistance. We are using the sandpaper letters to learn what their sounds are.

Mama Calidad
08-25-2006, 07:32 AM
It really depends on your own educational philosophy. ;)

Personally, my planning is pretty structured, based on my understanding of how the brain develops. For example, learning languages is MUCH easier at this age than at an older age. Better early than late. :shrug So, in part because of their environment and in part because I believe it is really important, both of my kiddos are already bilingual.

But my structure isn't something that the kids necessarily see or sense. :grin What they see is very relaxed and fun. Games, stories, activities, crafts, play, talking, touch, exploration.

Mama Rophe
08-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks everyone. I was thinking the same thing. He does help me with the baby, sort laundry, bake and even do the dishes. He does watch some TV, but he won't sit through an entire show. He gets up and runs around while he's watching.