PDA

View Full Version : Object Lesson Flop

Mama Calidad
08-20-2006, 05:32 PM
We started Bible study with the kids this past week. I had a "brilliant" idea for an object lesson. The idea was to explain to the kids that the 10 commandments help us know what doesn't belong in our life. God gave them to us to help us!

So the idea was to have the kids help make cookies. DD picked gingerbread cookies. They followed the recipe with DH and then separated out a small amount of cookie dough and added something that did NOT belong in the cookies (garlic).

Well, the kids loved the cookies with the garlic. :hissyfit :laughtears :rolleyes2

I still think it's a neat idea, but if we try it again we'll be adding lots of "sin". I'm thinking obscene amounts of salt, baking soda....

But it was kinda an object lesson for me. How many times do we overlook those "little sins" in our lives and think they're okay...great even. *sigh*

fourbygrace
08-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Sorry your object lesson flopped. It was a really good idea. I really like your observation about the little bits of sin that we overlook or find appealing. That is so true.

I would try replacing the sugar in the recipe with salt (it LOOKS the same, but cetainly does not yield the same results!!) Maybe that would be a different lesson.

Just some food for thought. :D

Blessings,
Mary