PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! Don't know where to start . . . in need of guidance . . . . .

sweetpea
08-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Okay, so I know I am PETRIFIED of the public school system here. For many reasons I'd prefer to homeschool:

1. How will be energetic little boy learn while sitting in a desk for hours on end? :no

2. He will not be given the individual attention he'll need unless he is at home - I don't want him to be lost in the system :(

3. I can provide for his unique learning skills. The school will not. :)

4. Worried about the other kids and their parents - what type of influence will they be on my son? Will my son be in danger? What on earth are parents teaching their kids (or not teaching them) at such a young age? :shrug

5. Standardized testing - it's so unfair! Just because a child is not good at taking tests does not make him any less intelligent.
Austin (4 - 5 in Feb.) is a sponge and grasps everything he hears! But he cannot sit still and do work. :scratch

6. Halloween parties are allowed, but in the HS I graduated from will no longer allow kids to say Merry Christmas or have any Christmas decorations hung. It's sad. :cry

So I want to start something over the winter, but I don't know where to. That and we are expecting a baby in November!

I am a very structured person, don't think outside the box well, but my DS is NOT! I don't necessarily want a Curriculum per se, but somewhere to start. Maybe a loose curriculum with a guide would help? I don't know

This is what I'm looking for:

1. Something that allows for adjustment. If DS isn't into it, I want to be able to work around him.

2. A guide for myself. even if it's just for example, that would be a terrific help!

3. I'm very impressed with his ability to sit while I read a book. His little brother Nathan (2) loves to do the same. Maybe a set of books? I've looked into FIAR and Sonlight . . . but still confused.

4. What should he know? What is the general rule of thumb for his age? Is there something inspecific that I need to focus on? He is very into hands on and his own way.

5. DS LOVES! - Sports, Cars, blocks, etc. he DOES NOT like to draw/color, use a pencil or work from a workbook. If he wants to use a workbook, we'll take it out and do a few pages, but it doesn't hold his attention long.

Does any of this help? Any suggestions for us?

TIA!

~Karri

booboo
08-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Hmmm..I have an active 5 yo so I can definitely relate. She can't even sit still for meals. Sometimes I just let her stand. :giggle

I think something like FIAR would be good for him. Simply because it does provide hands on type of learning for him. And it would be a good start for you. :tu You don't need a whole lot, just some art supplies
and a good library in your town! :yes

To help him with his attention, you could try giving him some clay to play with. He can smoosh it around in his hands while he's listening. You'll be surprised how much he does hear while he's running around. At least I have learned that from Piglet. If she's sitting there, she can't repeat back to me what I said to her. If she's bouncing off the walls, chasing the cats, she gets everything! :shrug It could be the same with your ds. Maybe you could try reading him a book and see if he was paying attention, kinda like a try out thing?

Congrats on your baby, btw! :heart

Mamatoto
08-16-2006, 02:44 PM
He's four? His main job is to play!! :-) He learns everyday from the world around him....which you can enrich by providing lots of time outside, time to explore nature, seasonal field trips, great books, stories, etc.

erinee
08-16-2006, 03:15 PM
I agree with snugglemama, and if you want something to guide you in the kinds of activities to do with him, her guidebooks are really nice. :)

And FIAR is also wonderful and very gentle, full of things you would probably do anyway. If they love to be read to, I would go with that. The nice thing about it is it is very, very affordable, most of the books are available at your library, and there are *always* people looking for it if you decide it's not for you and want to sell.