PDA

View Full Version : Homeschool group

Heather Micaela
08-14-2006, 04:57 PM
First of, don't throw things at me, I am homeschooling through a charter school that is about as parent directed as possible. I know some of you disagree with Charter school in general and I get some of that - but this is where I feel led to start and then would like to venture out on my own in the future.

Now....
i friend invited me to a homeschool group in my area. they do playdates, field trips, conferences, etc. - but the little flyer said that the goup was for parents considering or involved in the "private homeschooling option." How would you interpret that phrase. So does that disqualify me? Or is the fact that I am considering it for the future give me a loop-hole?

I would really like to join a homeschool group but I am afraid that they will have a prejudice that will exclude me.

Sara
08-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Unfortunately, I think it sounds like that *does* exclude someone using a charter school option. Obviously, I don't know that for sure, but that is how I would read it.

I'm sure there are many other groups more accepting of different types of HSers. I would enourage you to continue looking until you find something that is a good fit for you. :hug

Marmee
08-14-2006, 06:40 PM
We have had fabulous homeschool group experiences and dreadful ones as well. It sounds like maybe they are being exclusive. But, it couldn't hurt to ask them directly. Personally, I think how you educate is your business, and I am thrilled when parents take it seriously and thoughtfully and make a decision based on what will fit their family best. If that means charter school, homeschool, private or public school, God can and does bless the decisions he leads you to for your family. I would steer clear of those who will make you feel "lesser" for choosing what you feel is best for your children. I need to take my own advice, as we have joined a group this year that has me cringing. LOL! I don't know how long we will stay in this group, but investigate any groups that you are thinking of first. It is always frustrating to make a bad match in that department - ask me how I know.

righteous mama
08-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Heather, is it Considering Homeschooling? There are a lot of groups out there that exclude charters. It's frustrating, but I understand, too.

hsgbdmama
08-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Sadly, yes. Our state's homeschool parents' association is adamant against virtual charters, and discourage local groups from including these families. :( But our new group that we started does include VCS'ers :rockon and we do have a couple of families -- and there is no conflict! Go figure. :rolleyes

Heather Micaela
08-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Heather, is it Considering Homeschooling? There are a lot of groups out there that exclude charters. It's frustrating, but I understand, too.
yep it is

Oh I understand. But it is still frustrating since I am choosing my own curriculum, time schedule, etc. And the fact that two of my freinds are in it and do ISPs This charter is not much different than an ISP really. (in fact a friend of mine's is more strict)

Shining Light
08-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Heather, is it Considering Homeschooling? There are a lot of groups out there that exclude charters. It's frustrating, but I understand, too. yep it is
Stay far, far away from Considering Homeschooling unless you want to be attacked and made to feel like you are either not a Christian or just an immature Christian who doesn't get how sinful it is to be in a charter school. Can you tell I had a bad experience with them? I know not all Christians who are anti-charter school are as judgemental and divisive as the ladies I met through CH but... well, some are. It makes me very sad that Christians can be that way but I'm going to get off my soapbox now before my blood pressure goes up.

But it is still frustrating since I am choosing my own curriculum, time schedule, etc. And the fact that two of my freinds are in it and do ISPs This charter is not much different than an ISP really. (in fact a friend of mine's is more strict)
The difference is that a charter school is publicly funding/through the government whereas ISP's are *private* schools, some with lots of structure and support and some with very minimal requirements.

Heather Micaela
08-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Wow I hope that my friend doesn't get to be like that. I was really hoping to make some friends at my church and I am just getting to know her.

I know people have strong opinions on education and that there are cons to the charter option. And I don't care if being in a charter disqualifies you from a club. But on a personal level, one really oughgt not jusge. I even have saved an article on why it is not a good idea to divide on such a thing -written by an unschooling mom who would never charter school.

RubySlippers
08-18-2006, 07:38 PM
I would encourage you to ask. Our group has a mix of homeschoolers including charter school students and part-time home/part-time private schoolers, etc. We even have members that won't be schooling for several years. :shrug
It's worth it to find out for sure. :hug