PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Tried FIAR *and* MFW *and* AO(Kindergarten)

RealLifeMama
08-12-2006, 07:47 PM
I was wanting just to put together whatever I wanted to do with DD for kindergarten but I was thinking I would like some sort of guide.
The MFW looks pretty good for her current interests (she can't get enough bugs and animals and such)
but the FIAR seems more laid back and like we would be able to do more activites that *I* enjoy from it. I really like the goals that AO has, though and like how it seems to just let the goals be attained in your daily life.
I was wondering if anyone has tried all of the above (or two of the above) and what worked best for you and why. (I do not mean at the same time, I mean try one and then switch to another)
I am having a hard time deciding.
MFW seems like the most "OK, we are going to do school, here we go" sort of plan, and I just don't know if that fits our lifestyle, how does that work if you have a couple days a week that you are gone most of the day, you know? But the activites seem like what DD would really like and I just would not come up with them myself. But the cost is kind of prohibitive to me- I can't afford to spend 100+ and then not use it. Plus, what do I do with DS, 3, while DD is doing MFW lessons? Then do I just repeat it next year with him or what? :yawn

FIAR seems so chatty, not as many hands on and crafty stuff but seems like it would be easy to fit in anytime.

I still haven't qite figured out AO.
Anyway, if anyone has any feedback comparing them, I would appreciate it.
And personal experiences would be good, too.

2TMama
08-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I know you were asking for experiences of those who've combined any of the above....but just thought I'd throw this out there:

have you checked out the FIAR website? There are *many* moms who expand on FIAR lessons. You can find many MANY go-alongs and supplemental activities! FIAR is more affordable than MFW...and you can tailor it as you see fit. We've often found Magic School Bus books that coincide w/ a science subject and Magic Tree House that ds has enjoyed w/ a history element. It really *can* be flexible :D

Just wanted to throw that option out there. I know what you mean about really liking the looks of a certain thing....but if you spend the money and find out it doesn't work!?!? I hate that feeling:shifty

RealLifeMama
08-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I know you were asking for experiences of those who've combined any of the above....but just thought I'd throw this out there:

Oh, I didn't mean I'd try to do them at the same time! Sorry to be confusing.
I edited my original above so hopefully it is more clear.

fourbygrace
08-20-2006, 03:07 PM
AO Kindergarten (Year 0) is just a list of books to read aloud to your child and there is a list of things to be attained by a child by the age of 6, also spending lots of time outdoors in nature. The more structured things like composer and art study, even math and phonics are for the later years. So you would still have to come up with any hands-on activities, etc. if that is what you wanted to do or feel your child needed. However, I think it is enough by itself if that is what you decide is best for your family. This is what I did with my oldest for K (along with a few books from BFIAR. The AO and BFIAR lists overlap quite a bit).

FIAR (which I love) gives some ideas for each book and as mentioned by the previous poster the FIAR message board has TONS of extra ideas, way more than you could complete in a month. :) FIAR is very relaxed and can be "beefed up" or done as is, so that you have plenty of time for real life. I think FIAR fits well with Charlotte Mason philosophy. I also think that experience using FIAR gives you a foundation and a new way to look at ANY picture book so that you can draw out the elements of science, math, character etc. We did some FIAR last year along with reading books from the Sonlight book list.

MFW, well, I just bought MFW and have not started it yet. I am very nervous about too much structure,. I think it will be flexible enough. Ok, confession . . . the box arrived on Thursday and I have not had the guts to open it yet! I have always ripped open any box of homeschooling stuff in the past almost the minute it arrived, but for some reason, I am just frozen with fear of MFW I will also be using FIAR at the same time. So maybe I am crazy for trying to combine the two, but I think the FIAR books are too good to miss. Ok, you may be wondering why I bought MFW in the first place. Well, I felt led to it and last year we were SO unstructured that my children were actually stressed by our lack of routine. I really felt that God led me to the curriculum. Hopefully, I was listening to the right voice. I need to go pray about it.

Money wise, the price of AO and FIAR are minimal compared to MFW. MFW does have a 30 Day money back guarantee however, so you could try it and see. That is what I am going to do.

I am off, to open my MFW box now.

Hope that helps a little bit, and did not confuse you more!

Blessings,
Mary

RealLifeMama
08-20-2006, 03:20 PM
Mary, that helps tremendously. Thanks so much!

I also am feeling led to go to MFW to help add some structure that I think DD and I are really craving.
I went to a friend's house the other day who had MFW and FIAR and I looked at both and think I can get the FIAR book, Volume 1 and use it as a springboard, and then use the MFW for hands on activities that my DD is so interested in right now. I looked at her folders with completed activites and they were all so fun looking! Then I am going to get a "book basket" and put the AO books in them.
I really think that the MFW activities actually will fit in well with the CM nature aspect.

Anyway, I think I have my mind made up now. Oh, and my DD is sort of past most of the early MFW reading stuff so I will probably skip that and we will play the bingo and stuff for fun but I am going to work through a workbook with her.

fourbygrace
08-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I am glad my disjointed reply helped you clarify your thoughts. :D

I really think that using the FIAR books alongside MFW will be fun for us too. My 8 year old wants to do more FIAR books even though he is reading at about a 6th grade level, so why not?

I am stealing your idea of having a "book basket" of AO Year 0 books, for my 4 year old.

Have a great school year!
Mary

The Tickle Momster
08-20-2006, 06:25 PM
I am looking at all of these too. I'm gonna use your idea of an AO basket. Let us know what you think of MFW when you get done looking it over.

J3K
08-20-2006, 06:40 PM
I adore FIAR. You can make it as laid back or as complicated as you want.

We read several books and it was just sort of a laid back experience.

Then we read How To Make An Apple Pie And See The World and my kids went nuts with art projects , pretend shopping , setting up their own bakery , making lines all over the US map trying to figure out if you could make an apple pie in just one state (gotta love dry erase markers ! ) , etc... We spent easily two weeks on just that one book. They couldn't get enough , and learned so much !

When the tsunami hit the kids remembered where Sri Lanka was and ...heehee funny hs story here...

We were just in the process of being chewed out for our hs'ing choices when my then six/seven year old says (oblivious to the adult conversation around her) "Hey did ya hear about the tidal wave ? It hit Sri Lanka. I'll bet ya that cinnamon prices are going to go up." And when they stared at her she expanded "Their main export is cinnamon. " and more staring " and the tidal wave took out all the trees. Most of the world's cinnamon comes from them."

And she remembered all that from the book How To Make An Apple Pie And See The World .

p.s. And I never once got another "you're a bad mother for hs'ing the kids" speech again from those people.

fourbygrace
08-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Jennifer,

I love this story!!

It is a great testimony to homeschooling and FIAR. I think you should send the story to Jane Lambert at FIAR.

Blessings,
Mary

Titus2Momof4
08-20-2006, 09:06 PM
OK what is MFW?? :shifty

This past year we did Abeka (K) Oh my. Well, we still aren't done w/the books... but we were trying to do every single page, from cover to cover. Let me just say...it is very rigid, very structured, and imo very expensive, esp when you are trying to buy even for preschool or nursery. I am not sure if we are gonna be using it again this year. Heck we aren't even done with the K books! Which I feel totally bad about, like we are slackers, because excuse me for not having time (or the family dynamics, with littler kids too) to sit down for hours and do workbooks. :( Don't get me wrong--my kids have learned a LOT. But I am very intimidated with the idea of doing another year of Abeka.

I am seriously considering FIAR, because it seems sooo much more like us. It seems more relaxed, and more fun! My kids really enjoy having workbooks though :think But maybe I could still buy some supplemental workbooks, just so they get their 'workbook fix' lol. ?? It just seems like it would let us have fun in our day (FIAR), and look forward to doing school, rather than me dreading it because I have to keep up with a toddler and then losing patience b/c the baby is into everything while I'm trying to focus on these drilling workbooks. :/

The Tickle Momster
08-20-2006, 09:09 PM
MFW is My Father's World. You can read more here:

mfwbooks.com

It combines Charlotte Mason & classical approaches to HSing.

Titus2Momof4
08-21-2006, 04:38 AM
Thanks! :)

J3K
08-21-2006, 12:08 PM
I took your advice and sent the story to Jane Lambert.