PDA

View Full Version : New to unschooling

squirellymama
08-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Hi, I have a 5 year old dd and we are going to be working on kindergarten this year. I have a question about science lessons. I've been trying to listen to my dd about what she is interested in. She loves snakes so we've talked a lot and read a lot about them. She is quite knowledgeable about snakes for a 5 year old girl, imho :smile

She is now interested in the solar system. I am taking her to the library today to check out some books about stars and planets and so forth. I have found some projects that i think she'll like a lot too. I just don't want to overwhelm her or on the flip side not do enough. Is there a point where you just go on to a new topic or do you go until the child tires of the subject.

We've picked up the snake topic whenever she gets an itch to check out the snake book from the library.

Also does anyone have any ideas on how to bring these two topics more into real life?
For snakes we have:
1. read books
2. gone to the zoo and science center where she has been able to touch a snake
3. Also at the zoo they do presentations about diff animals and snakes always seem to be one.

Are there any other snake ideas. I'd like to find someplace totally devoted to snakes or go hunting for snakes (not to hurt them but to find them) but I have no idea how to find a snake.

For the Solar System so far we have:
1. Visited the science center and watched a cute kids planetarium program.

Thanks! Kelly