PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for our first year of HS... I feel lost

Heather
07-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Life has been crazy and posting here has become more and more infrequent. :sad2 I miss you all and think of everyone daily.

That said, the advice I have gotten here in previous time has been invaluable and I thought this would be the best place for me to look for advice on homeschooling.

A bit of background, we have waivered about pulling DD (9) out of public school for several years now and finally took the leap and we are starting in a few weeks. DS (7) will remain in school because he has no interest in homeschooling and we decided it would be best to start with one at home this year. The twins are still in half day pre-k for disabled children and receiving their therapies there. Our youngest DS (1) will of course stay at home with me as well.

We are very fortunate to have a good support system in my FIL and his wife. They have homeschooled my SIL (now 15) since kindergarten and she has truely thrived as a hs'er. My parent's aren't VERY supportive however, they have come to accept our choice. :shrug

Anyway, Angela is looking forward to HS'ing this year and I am still trying to develop a plan. Life is very busy so I am trying to find things that are not too time intensive. I am running my own small business from home and working part time at Target trying to help supplement our income.

Our curriculum plans are still in rough draft and I would like any suggestions or comments. Angela is high functioning autistic and a bit behind in some areas. Primarily her reading, spelling, and writing. This is where I think we need to take a step back and work on some basics.

For our base curriculum I plan on using some of Alpha Omega's Switched on Schoolhouse. Then supplementing from there. Except for math, we plan on using Math U See because we had previously used this over the summer before and she loved it and it caught her up in all of her mathwork and actually a bit ahead of some of the other students in her public school.

She did have an IEP at her school, and after withdrawing her from school and talking with the principal (who was suprisingly very supportive) she is looking into letting Angela continue to come to the school for speech and special ed tutoring for her reading and writing. Still not sure about this.

Now I feel I need something to supplement SOS to help her with reading and writing. I have looked in to Spell to Write and Read, Phonetic Zoo, and Explode the Code. They all look good, but I'm not sure what would be TOO young for her. Am I wrong in thinking that I should get something that should be fairly "easy" for her to help build her confidence and reinforce some of the basic skills that she never fully "got" in public school.

Any suggestions or opinions are greatly welcomed! TIA!

Singingmom
07-29-2006, 09:44 PM
>>Am I wrong in thinking that I should get something that should be fairly "easy" for her to help build her confidence and reinforce some of the basic skills that she never fully "got" in public school.<<

I think that's a great way to start! :tu

I'm not sure of a program to supplement with for language arts, but I would read aloud to her from good books (Little House books or something she'd really enjoy listening to) and talk about them as you go. Have her narrate a paragraph to you in her own words after you read it and check her comprehension that way. It would be fun and casual and can really give her a good feel for how language flows.

CelticJourney
07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Just so you know - preparing to school is harder than actually doing it, so it will get better :hug2

booboo
07-30-2006, 04:22 PM
I know Rainbow Resource has some remedial reading books. You can go to www.rainbowresource.com and do a search. I've never used them but I am aware they have some learning to read books for older kids.

hth! :heart