PDA

View Full Version : How does FIAR fit with other curriculum?

kiloyd
07-27-2006, 07:30 PM
I'm trying to decide what to use for kindergarten. I'm thinking HWT and get set for the code and maybe FIAR also. I dont' want to do too much. I just need phonics, writing, and math, right?

I bought one Singapore early learning math book. I was thinking of using A Beka for phonics and math though b/c we were looking into a private school that uses it.

What do you think?

hsgbdmama
07-28-2006, 07:10 AM
With FIAR, you just need a math and language arts program. What you have sounds good! :tu

Strumbelina
07-28-2006, 09:56 AM
I love FIAR! We used it in K and we will use it for first grade too! THere is a great website or group or something that has loads of extras for FIAR if you are interested. I don't know the link or I would post it. I know FIAR has been talked about a lot on GCM and maybe the link would be in one of those threads? Anyway, I think it is great you are not "overbooking" yourself (no pun intended :D).

Blessings,
Kara

SueQ
07-29-2006, 06:25 AM
THere is a great website or group or something that has loads of extras for FIAR if you are interested. I don't know the link or I would post it.
Is this the link that you were thinking of?
http://homeshare.dreniarb.com/five_in_a_row_resources.htm

4Cygnets
07-29-2006, 06:38 AM
I'm thinking HWT and get set for the code and maybe FIAR That's what I've used :tu

mwwr
08-03-2006, 08:59 PM
All you really need for K is a library card! But don't tell dh who posted this, 'cause he knows where I live... :shifty

SueQ
08-04-2006, 01:11 AM
All you really need for K is a library card! But don't tell dh who posted this, 'cause he knows where I live... :shifty

:yes I am not using any specific curriculum for my K for phonics, math or handwriting. I am just going to read FIAR books to him, He already knows the phonics sounds from listening to his brother so we will start on sounding out words but will just use what we have, math we will use what we have around the house. And for handwriting just use paper and a pencil and let him copy letters.

This year my K will be exploring nature, running, jumping, climbing, listening to stories, play acting, listening to music, and drawing/painting/creating. ;) :mrgreen

booboo
08-04-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm doing a unit study called Galloping the Globe and I'm finding that FIAR will fit right in with that since the stories deal with the countries that my kids will be studying! The FIAR book was given to me by someone and I'm excited to see that the curriculum I'm using will actually fit right in! :tu

I think it's great - they learn geography, social studies, things that really do matter. Sounds like you got a good one and starting out with K! :yes

SueQ
08-05-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm doing a unit study called Galloping the Globe and I'm finding that FIAR will fit right in with that since the stories deal with the countries that my kids will be studying! The FIAR book was given to me by someone and I'm excited to see that the curriculum I'm using will actually fit right in! :tu

I think it's great - they learn geography, social studies, things that really do matter. Sounds like you got a good one and starting out with K! :yes

Here is a link (http://homeshare.dreniarb.com/documents/GTG%20and%20FIAR.doc) that matches Galloping the Globe with FIAR. Just thought you might find it helpful. ;) I found it on www.homeschoolshare.com

booboo
08-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Thank you, SueQ! I'll check it out! :highfive :hug :grin

Mamatoto
08-05-2006, 02:33 PM
This year my K will be exploring nature, running, jumping, climbing, listening to stories, play acting, listening to music, and drawing/painting/creating.

:yes I am right there with you. I found some neat seasonal books called the Wynestone Press Kindergarten Series with different songs and fairy tales and poems for each season. My dd LOVES them.....LOVES LOVES LOVES them. So now I just have to learn the songs and I will be all set... :nails

soberwoman
08-08-2006, 05:26 AM
http://www.fiveinarow.com