PDA

View Full Version : supplementing income while hsing

Robersonlass
07-27-2006, 10:22 AM
DH and I met with a cfm counselor last night. Because of our debt and dh's business he suggested me getting part time work. I want to still hs but am worrying myself to death about how to pull this off and keep my sanity.
Any ideas? I have a mom friend that does medical transcription and it sounded doable.
Please :pray for my nerves, borderline nervous wreck.
TIA

erinee
07-27-2006, 11:00 AM
I do transcription, but you do need some training and certain skills. It's not something you can just jump right into without some specialized knowledge. I took a medical terminology class through the hospital and then a basic transcription class (self-paced, done at home) at a business college. It took me about 5 months altogether (I took only one class at a time) and I was offered a job as soon as I was finished with the transcription class. That's actually less training than most transcriptionists have, and I consider myself very, very blessed to have gotten my job so soon. I was praying *hard* (I was working FT outside the home and wanted desperately to be home, and I truly believe God provided the way).

You need to have excellent grammar and spelling skills, and it's essential to know medical language. It can take some detective work to figure out what doctors are saying, but that's part of why I enjoy what I do -- it really does take using my brain and my skills.

all2jesus
07-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Have you thought about home-based sales like avon, mary kay, etc.? I know there's so many different types out there right now- for scrapbooking, home decor... I'm just starting to look into that option with Usborne books- I thought it'd be good for me since I really love their books and they do give free books as sales incentives so I thought that would come in handy with homeschooling- if you want more info you can send me a message. Have you thought about tutoring or homeschooling another child?
My prayers are with you and I trust that God will show you His will in good time... :hugheart

hsgbdmama
07-27-2006, 04:55 PM
What is your education/background? I teach college courses part time, in the evening and online, and that is working well for us. :-)

booboo
07-28-2006, 02:51 AM
You can work p/t and hs! :yes I did it while working p/t at a crafts store, many times up to 25 hours a week! It's not easy, but definitely doable. And I'm ISO another p/t job again because we're just not making it. So ITU what you're going through. Keep in mind, you won't work every day, and you can write out a plan on a night off for the next week (or the rest of the week) and review a little of what's on the schedule in the morning before hs'ing.

I don't know what grades your kids are in, mine are 2nd grade and K now and it's not too hard at this age.

I hope I helped!

amystuff
08-01-2006, 08:20 AM
I do a home party plan (Home and Garden Party) and it works great with homeschooling because I can choose when I want to work. You can also get your kiddos involved in a home-based business and make it a learning adventure :o) I will be glad to answer any questions or give you some tips on balancing it all!

Amy

Robersonlass
08-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Thank you!
I am checking more and more into the medical transcription route. I want to do some courses. It is just finding where to begin. I am hoping this is something I can stick with as kids get older and I get better to put $ towards savings/retirement. Any suggestions as to where to start online? There is so much it is hard to tell what is a scam and what is genuine.
TIA,
A much less anxious
Heather :pray

erinee
08-01-2006, 11:53 AM
I would really start by calling your local hospitals and seeing if they offer medical terminology classes through a community education program. The public school systems sometimes offer it through continuing education, too. If neither of those work, I would try calling some local business colleges -- but I would only go that route if they let you take just one or two classes at a time, because you really only need terminology and maybe one basic transcription class to get started. Some colleges will make you take the whole shebang.

Good luck, and let me know if you have other questions.

Robersonlass
08-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks Erin! :)

Vipers_Princess
08-01-2006, 05:17 PM
I do it. Right now I am selling candles and bath products and making some good money at that. We're adding in other things as time goes on and we have more money and time to invest in things...