PDA

View Full Version : Educating the Wholehearted Child

fourbygrace
07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I just noticed in a homeschool catalog that there is a second edition of the Clarkson's book Educating the Wholehearted Child. Has anyone read the second edition? I am wondering how it is different than the original one. (Other than the obviously different cover)

Mary

Sara
07-26-2006, 06:51 PM
I believe that the first edition has some punitive material in it and that the second edition has all of that edited out as they had changed their opinion on discipline. I don't know what other differences might be, except that I'm sure they updated resources (websites, books, etc.). I have the second edition and I thought it was an awesome book!

Marmee
07-26-2006, 07:00 PM
I have the 1st edition and their later book, Heartfelt Discipline. I had wondered if they would revise the 1st edition. So glad to hear that they did!!!! Very cool! I love that book! :grin

fourbygrace
07-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Sara, I read the first edition a few years ago and it changed my outlook on homeschooling. I did not know about GBD then, so the discipline seemed gentle to me. :blush . I am currently reading Heartfelt Discipline and when I saw that there was a second edition, I wondered if they had edited the discipline references.

UNFORTUNATELY, this means I want to buy the second edition. :lol I am adding it to the top of my list of books to buy.

RealLifeMama
08-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Is the revised version the one from 2001 ir is there another one?
I read the one from 2001 and I thought it still had a lot of punitive stuff in it.
Is there another one?

AngelBee
08-27-2006, 06:27 PM
:popcorn

SueQ
08-28-2006, 03:48 AM
Is there a link to the newest edition? I just see their 2001 edition posted on their website, Amazon, CBD, etc.

fourbygrace
10-14-2006, 02:04 PM
I tried to order the 2nd edition from our local Christian bookstore as they had it advertised in a flyer they sent out with the new cover showing. They ended up calling the publisher and they said they are not printing it until January 2007. I wonder how Sara got hers?? I am going to call them back in February and see if it has been printed.

Blessings,

Mary

Sara
10-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Hmmm, I may have made a mistake. The version I have is the one that comes up when you search on Amazon. However, I know that people have talked to me about an older edition. When I look at the description, it says:
Publisher: Whole Heart Ministries; Revised edition (January 2001)

I'm assuming that means that this 2001 edition is a newer edition than their first one. However, I mistakenly thought that it meant it was a second edition. There must be a difference between a revised edition and a second edition. :shrug At any rate, I do remember that they had added many things to the 2001 edition that weren't in the old edition, such as websites.

Mothering by Heart
10-14-2006, 03:04 PM
I have an older copy here and it says copyright 1994, 1996.

fourbygrace
10-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Sara,

Does it have an "old-fashioned" looking cover? The one I have has a Burgundy colored cover with an old-fashion silhouette type picture on it. It is "revised".

The "second edition" that I saw advertised said the copyright was 2006 and it has several different families' and children's photographs on the cover. They must have had to postpone the printing for some reason. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens in February and let everyone know.

Mary

Sara
10-15-2006, 07:17 AM
Mary, Mine has the burgundy cover. Based on what Amy said, though, there is an even older edition than the one I have (2001). Looks like the very first edition was copyrighted in 1994 and there was definitely a revision in 2001 (and maybe a reprint in 1996?).