PDA

View Full Version : Ugh. I just keep wavering!

LittleSweetPeas
07-22-2006, 10:17 PM
DD is 3. I know I have time. But I just keep going back and forth with HS. She is craving playtime with kids her own age to the point where she is asking and crying for her to be able to go to our neighbor/friends/relatives homes just to play. I dont know if its just who she is, a normal developmental thing or what. In my mind I think HS is the best thing for our family but then I see how God has created her as such an incredibly social being and I dont know if this is going to stifle her? I just need some thoughts on this issue. To me it isnt a socialization issue, its more an issue of whether HS fits who she is and what she needs for herself.

Comments?

findingjoy
07-22-2006, 10:28 PM
We have a homeschool playgroup we have been going to since ds was 2. At that time, it was more for me than him. But now he really craves time with other kids. We usually do playgroup once per week and then there are opportunities at church to be with other kids, like Sunday School. I will be enrolling him in a gymnastics class this Fall and maybe a co-op art class. We also like to have individual friends or families over for playdates. So I just look for various opportunities like these to have him around other kids and it seems to satisfy him for now.

Mothering by Heart
07-22-2006, 10:35 PM
My DS is extremely social and he finds opportunities wherever we go to find playmates.
We will be at the park not 5 minutes and he will have new friend. Or he will strike up a conversation with whomever we come in contact with.

Joanne
07-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Her needs and desires at 3 will look and feel a lot different in a couple or 3 years.

Many kids thrive in a preschool setting at that age because a preschool provides developmentally what they crave. A good preschool or daycare provides routine, predictability, structure and a way for the child to grow in independence and competence by navigating the next thing on the list since they know what to expect. You can take the edge off at home by incorporating more routine and structure.

MagnoliaMommy
07-24-2006, 10:22 AM
My DS is extremely social and he finds opportunities wherever we go to find playmates.
We will be at the park not 5 minutes and he will have new friend. Or he will strike up a conversation with whomever we come in contact with.

My ds is the exact same way!

I wouldn't let the socialization factor play a huge part in my decision. Think of it this way...kids don't really socialize all that much in school unless it is during lunch or recess. Provide plenty of opportunities for your dd to be around other kids (playdates, park days, hs group, sunday school, etc.) and she will be fine. :-)

Mama Calidad
07-24-2006, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't let the socialization factor play a huge part in my decision. Think of it this way...kids don't really socialize all that much in school unless it is during lunch or recess. Provide plenty of opportunities for your dd to be around other kids (playdates, park days, hs group, sunday school, etc.) and she will be fine. :-)

:yes ITA! I can't tell you how many times I heard, "You come to school to learn. NOT to socialize." Many a dictionary page has been copied to "teach" that concept.