PDA

View Full Version : What magazines do you subscribe your kids to?

LittleSweetPeas
07-21-2006, 08:23 AM
I receive so many offers for magazines and they all look great but then again, you never know! :) I was curious which magazines your kids seem to enjoy and which ones you enjoy the most. My DD is only 3 but I've received offers for Kids Discover which I think she would enjoy for the pictures and mama's narration. Not sure how worth it it is though...

So, what are your faves?

DogwoodMama
07-21-2006, 08:32 AM
:popcorn

To this point, dd has enjoyed BabyBug (from library or newstand.) We haven't tried much else.

Piper2
07-21-2006, 08:47 AM
I used to love Highlights for Children, and we had a subscription for years when I was a kid. My mom bought Kevin a subscription for Christmas last year, and he will barely glance at the cover. :rolleyes I told her he wouldn't read them, but she wouldn't listen. :shrug

I'm hoping that maybe in a year or so he can settle on one particular interest that we can find a magazine for, though.

Mothering by Heart
07-21-2006, 08:49 AM
We have had "Your Big Backyard" "National Geographic kids"(too much pop culture for me)
and now we get "ranger rick" and "Kids Discover"

Bonnie
07-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Love Ladybug and Babybug. I remember Cricket from when I was little.

SamsMama
07-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Babybug - but he's only 16 months. Their other publications, for older kids, look great though!

erinee
07-21-2006, 10:49 AM
THe only one right now is Boys' Life, which Zach gets for being in Cub Scouts. We are cutting everything extra out, so I get their magazines from the library, but I have subscribed to Animal Baby and Your Big Back Yard and loved them (Megan absolutely loved Animal Baby when she was a toddler). Now I get Your Big Back Yard and Ranger Rick from the library.

I also subscribed to Highlights for awhile.

RubySlippers
07-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Dh subscribe dd to "Highlights" and it is a big hit. :tu

tempus vernum
07-21-2006, 05:21 PM
Your Big Backyard
Clubhouse Jr.

We like them both so far - we started getting them about 3 to 4 months ago :)

Leslie
07-21-2006, 11:58 PM
Kids Discover and God's World (http://www.gwnews.com/), which is a weekly current events magazine. They have three versions so that there's one that's appropriate for each age range.

CelticJourney
07-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Appleseeds, which is on American History. I really want them to get Dig, about archaeology, so I think I will get it for them for Christmas.

ShangriLewis
07-22-2006, 08:35 AM
We get Ranger Rick, National Geographic Kids, Muse, Lego, and Highlights. We used to get the baby one from WWF. That is World Wildlife Federation. http://www.nwf.org/kidzone/kzPage.cfm?siteId=1 They are toddler size and the pages are sturdier. Sometimes the binding breaks down. He loved getting his own mail. My boys love Magazines and I'm hoping to add some more to that list over Christmas and Birthdays.

We want to get God's World News and http://www.learningthroughhistory.com/ and now I'm off to add Dig and Appleseed to that list!

Leslie
07-22-2006, 11:14 PM
I've received offers for Kids Discover which I think she would enjoy for the pictures and mama's narration. Not sure how worth it it is though...

We've gotten Kids Discover for years, since before our kids were really old enough to appreciate them. I kept every issue, and now my sons love to go back over the old issues from all those years. For us, it's definitely been worth the investment. It seems like right around 11, 12, 13, they really enjoy them, and now while your DD is little is a good time to start a collection of them.

salt_light
07-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Right now we are getting Cricket, Babybug and Ranger Rick. We have gotten Ladybug before and will again when little ds grows into it. I love all the magazines by carus publishing. I would like to cancel Ranger Rick and get Boomerang instead.

HuggaBuggaMommy
07-23-2006, 06:45 PM
We get Your Big Backyard now. But Clubhouse Jr. and God's World News will be coming at the beginning of September :mrgreen

This Busy Mom
07-23-2006, 07:02 PM
We get Ranger Rick and God's World news. Ds was getting Boy's Life. He doesn't anymore, but is starting Boy Scounts in a couple weeks. I'm not sure if they get the magazine or not (he got it when he was in cub scouts for a short time).

MagnoliaMommy
07-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Highlights :tu

We borrow Your Big Backyard from the library.

hsgbdmama
07-25-2006, 10:45 AM
God's World News for kids (the Early Edition for PK - 1st). :tu

fourbygrace
07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
My children love Your Big Backyard, Wild Animal Baby and for my 8 year old we get Nature Friend.
Nature Friend is written from a creationist viewpoint and talks about God, which we enjoy. I read it aloud to all the children. It also includes good, clean jokes.

Blessings,

kiloyd
07-25-2006, 06:43 PM
This post got me thinking, DS (5) would LOVE to get his own mail.

i'm deciding b/w Ranger Rick or Highlights. What is your opinion for me?

I looked at them briefly at the library today and also Ladybug. I know he would like Ladybug, but it is just stories and we read lots. I'm leaning towards Highlights

NovelMama
07-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey, does anyone remember WOW magazine from the early 80's? I remember getting that as a kid and it was so much fun. It had projects and punch-out stuff you could "build." I don't remember how old I was when I stopped getting it, so I'm not sure when it stopped being published, but I don't know anyone else who ever got it so it's one of those things I've always worried was a figment of my very active imagination. :)

-Alison