PDA

View Full Version : Spell to Write and Read

ebethmom
07-15-2006, 06:18 PM
I went to our homeschool convention today with the sole purpose of buying our RightStart Math curriculum. That was my deal - anything other than RightStart was "look, but no touch."

Then the RS rep asked what kind of reading/spelling program we would be using. I told her that I had Pathways Phonics and 100 EZ Lessons but wasn't thrilled about either. So she said that I really should look at the Spell to Write and Read program. She described it as a very good fit with RightStart, since both are analytical and build sequencially.

Dh and I spoke to the SWR rep, and the program looks good. But I'd like to hear from folks who have used it. It looks a bit complicated. Do your kids like it? How much prep time does it take?

This Busy Mom
07-15-2006, 07:46 PM
We use The Writing Road to Reading, which Spell to Write and Read is based off of. If I had known about SWR before we started WRTR, then I would have just gone with SWR.

Yes, it's intimidating at first... but the results are absolutely wonderful whether you have an accelerated learner or a child who has learning disabilities. I think it makes a LOT of sense to incorporate handwriting, phonics, and spelling. I don't think there really is any other way to do it as effectively. It also doesn't take that much time once you get into the swing of it and get through teaching how to form the letters and introducing the phonograms (and they are off and reading REAL books before you know it).

This Busy Mom
07-15-2006, 08:57 PM
You know, :giggle I just sat down and looked at the WISE Guide for Spelling... and I like it. I bought it used because I was having a hard time keeping the flow going with spelling (I did manage to get my late bloomer reading well this year :shifty even if I didn't use WRTR the most effectively... that to me says a lot about the power of just learning the phonograms). I think we're probably going to just go ahead and switch over to SWR.

Someone gave me this site for SWR products...

https://www.morningstarlearning.com/

Shining Light
08-04-2006, 03:32 AM
Hi Elizabeth and Christa -- I just wanted to let you both know that I had never even heard of SWR until I read this thread. As a result of reading this thread, I checked it out -- read a lot about it online and joined the yahoo SWR support group. I finally decided to go for it and bought all my stuff last week. So far I am *really* pleased. There is admittedly quite a bit of prep-work and learning for the teacher before you can actually start but, from what I've read on the yahoo group is, once you figure it out, it takes almost know prep work from day to day. And from what I've figured out so far, I can see how that could be true once I get through the initial learning phase. Plus, I really like how, even though on the surface it appears to be a more traditional approach, they give a *lot* of ideas for how to make the learning more fun and less "seatwork-ish."

So, anyways... thanks for posting about it!!! :D

This Busy Mom
08-04-2006, 04:53 AM
Did ya get the You Can Do It! video?? I'm glad I did. I never even thought of teaching handwriting (Cursive First) that way with the little ones.

Shining Light
08-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Yes, I ordered it about a week ago but I haven't received it yet. Can't wait!

Strumbelina
08-05-2006, 05:41 PM
I went to the seminar this summer and am gearing up to start at the end of August! I am really excited. At first I was very overwhelmed by the "complexity" of it all, but that is fading now and I am seeing how it will be quite doable!