PDA

View Full Version : apraxia and homeschooling

ShowersofBlessings
07-15-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure where this best fits.... :shrug

I want to hs, my ds who has apraxia (well I want to homeschool both dc, butt his Q is about ds). He is smart, but he is pretty much not verbal yet. Is there anything I can/should be doing right now? I would love to add a little structure to our day, but since he is still not talking, I'm not sure what/how I can teach him some things. Here's what we do:

We read books and he can point out differnt objects in the pictures. But I obviously can't ask him questions about the story. Or can I? How would I do that?

I have been working a little bit with shapes and colors. I show/tell him the shape/color and ask him to point it out to me.

I talk to him as I go through my day about what we are doing.

He will point to body parts and clothing.

He knows a tiny bit of sign language (we need to work more on this because he is pretty quick to pick this up).

We sing songs like "the wheels on the bus..." and others when I think of them....

I'm not sure what is "normal" at this age and what I could do to help him keep learning even though he is not talking..... He is only a little behind in comprehension, but way behind in expressive language. I don't want to hinder his comprehension because I am not doing something I should be doing.

TIA :grouphug sometimes I feel like crying when I see what "normal" kids are doing.... :cry

Mamaka
07-15-2006, 06:49 PM
:hug2

I was going to suggest some sign language as that helped ds1 before he became verbal... sounds like you are already doing that. :tu

And it sounds like all the things you are doing will really help. Plus I know you like reading w/him so that's a big plus for learning and comprehension.

How did he like the children's museum? Those kind of gross motor skills and exploration activities are great for building comprehension.

I'm sorry I don't have more specific suggestions, I just wanted to say I think you're doing a great job with him :heart

MamaBeth
07-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Megan is using alot of computer software for her education right now. She is verbal, but not very clearly.