PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend for teaching phonics?

kiloyd
07-11-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm trying to figure out what to use for teaching phonics for my DS. He just turned 5. I'm thinking of doine Before Explode the Code. But I haven't had a good look at it. Does it teach phonics?

Thanks for suggestions,
Katherine

Mama Calidad
07-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Just depends on you and your child. :grin Explode the Code does teach basic phonics. :yes

With DD, we used a phonics workbook (Adventures in Phonics - A) and Bob Books. That worked well for her, but I have a strong feeling that it likely won't be a good fit for DS.

Cindy
07-11-2006, 02:20 PM
We liked Alpha-Phonics
http://www.howtotutor.com/

Moon
07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
My oldest had no interest in phonics in any form at first. We started with a dolch sight reading book instead, we barely made it 3 units in before he demanded I explain why he knew "had" but not "has" :lol Then he just used a few phonics workpages pulled out of one of those whole grade in a massive workbook dealies. He was *ready* and inhaled them.

My second kiddo is doing a blend of Phonics Pathways (nonconsumable) and Plaid Phonics workbooks.

chie96
07-13-2006, 07:37 PM
We used 100EL and also the Leap Frog Letter Factory and Talking Words DVDs. I highly recommend each!

kiloyd
07-13-2006, 07:51 PM
I started 100 EL and got to lesson 20 or 30 then we took a break. I think I was starting too early, he wasn't even 5 then. I think I may try and start over.

I'm going to a hs book fair Saturday, I will check out these suggestions.

Thanks

allycat
07-20-2006, 11:53 AM
We started my oldest with 100el and hated it. It did not work well for us at all. We now have used sing,spell, read, and write for 2 of our kids so far and LOVE it. Has games, easy to follow, singing that helps with memorization, workbook, and more. It covers everything like spelling, phonics, handwriting practice, readers, and language. We use it for K-1st, so it really gets used and can be used again,except the workbooks. I highly recommend it and can be used with a variety of learners.

Punkie
07-20-2006, 11:57 AM
We used 100EL and also the Leap Frog Letter Factory and Talking Words DVDs. I highly recommend each!

We have 100EL and the Leap Frog DVDs, but I feel like they contradict each other. The Leap Frog DVD teaches a break in the sounds f - og whereas 100EL teaches fffffoooooogggggg. The break in the sound on the DVD really confused my son when we started 100EL and so he read everything with harsh breaks in it. Its been tough to un-learn :td

The DVDs are cool, but I don't know if I'm pleased with what they've taught. :shrug

Mamaka
07-20-2006, 02:40 PM
We tried 100EL, and it worked okay until ds lost interest. We stopped for awhile and then came back to phonics using The Reading Lesson (similar to 100EL) which has been a better fit for us. I'm not sure if it's the book (TRL seems a bit more engaging) or if it was just the timing for ds was right the 2nd time around. :shrug

cornflower
07-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I, too, **really** like Alpha-Phonics. But it isn't high-tech, colorful, or wow-zy.... so if your kiddo needs something to help keep his attention, then it might not be for you.