PDA

View Full Version : Well this is a nice hole I've dug myself into.

WildOlive
07-08-2006, 11:25 AM
We will be starting K in the fall with Lydia. I've heard for years about this 'Friday School' for homeschoolers. It alwasy sounded really fun, but I do know of several families whose children went for a year and they decided not to continue, citing money issues. It costs around $140 per child.
From what I've heard, they do art, music, choir, drama club, gym, and even downhill skiing in the winter, if the child wants to.
Anyway. I fully intended to enroll Lydia, as I thought it sounded really neat, and would give her a chance to be with other children, as we are pretty isolated here.
Today I got the application and information packet in the mail. They don't take just anyone. Per the enclosed letter:
"Please understand that families that apply must be approved and that entrance is not automatic. Important factors include bu are not limited to; husband and wife in agreement about home-schooling, the children do not have any major behavior problems, and your pastor is supportive of your involvement with (name of program)."
I've also learned that the church this program is associated with has held Ted Tripp conferences.
The kids also have to wear a uniform.
They sent me last years' schedule, and for K it looks like this:
8:30-9:20 Toddler Nursery
9:25-10:15 Choir
10:20-11:10 Toddler nursery
11:15-12:05 lunch adn story time
12:10-1:10 (dismissal time) Toddler nursery

So it looks like all the K's do is choir, and play around. I'm not sure I want to drive 40 minutes and pay $140 for that. In 1st grade they can do art, gym, choir and 'character class'.

The problem is, I've really, really talked this up to Lydia. But all these above things add up to a major disappointment to me, and I really don't want to enroll her in this program. It sounds way too uptight for me. I was anticipating something much more laid back, and I don't think what my pastor thinks about homeschooling should matter at all. (He is supportive, but that isn't the point. It just irks me that it could even be a consideration)
Lydia has a really good friend who is going into 1st grade and is also HS'd, I am now thinking maybe I can get together with her mom and come up with a weekly activity getting the kids together. She has 7 other siblings, and they are all HS'd. We're both doing FIAR and SOTW, so we could really coordinate some activities if we got our act together and pl;anned them out. It might take some of the sting out of not doing friday school for Lydia.
Am I being unreasonable? Should I at least try it, or should I go with my gut feeling?

Wonder Woman
07-08-2006, 11:31 AM
ummm....what does it *matter* what your pastor thinks about homeschooling :rolleyes2 seriously...that just sounds like *so* much of the legalism that I've been around that it would have me running screaming in the other direction. :hug

phermion
07-08-2006, 11:32 AM
me? I'd go with gut feeling. :tu

Singingmom
07-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Go with your gut. :yes Mine would agree. Who wants to pay so much and drive so far for choir and toddler nursery? :scratch If you tell your dd that you've had a change of plans, she'll probably be resilient. You could present it as doing xxx instead. Getting together with the other family sounds good, and maybe another opportunity for a class she'd like will present itself. :hug

ebethmom
07-08-2006, 12:28 PM
That kind of schedule doesn't really sound worth the tuition, gas money, and drive time. An activity day with another family (especially a large, lively family!) could *be* Friday School! I know that my son is resillient to change as long as there is an appealing substitution.

If you think you might be interested in the 1st grade program, you might see if you could observe some during the school year.

I agree with the PP on the legalism issue. No thank you.

HuggaBuggaMommy
07-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I agree - $140 for choir and nursery? Nope! Just explain it to dd - "Mommy looked into the program and learned that five-year-olds have to stay in the nursery most of the day. We can have much more fun together here..." or something like that.

joystrength
07-08-2006, 01:56 PM
You could prob. enroll her in a couple (at LEAST) classes like dance, etc, or gymnastics or Girl Scouts, etc, etc for $140.

Or buy some really, really cool art supplies!!!
:grouphug :)

MagnoliaMommy
07-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I would give her another option. That is *a lot* of money for just nursery and choir! :eek You could enroll her in swimming or something for less money than that.

:hug

Garnet
07-08-2006, 02:17 PM
What about another Friday school? Isn't there one? MY dh went to a Montessori school one day a week when he was little. Then there wasn't prek but they had a program.

brown eyed girl
07-08-2006, 02:47 PM
My friend and I are doing our own Friday school.

We have someone who is doing the older kids. The older kids will pay a tuition each month $20/mo, and get a great program from a mom who is a 20+ year hs veteran. Her 24yo, 21yo and 17yo daughters will be helping her.

And we're doing the younger kids as a co-op. We're all pitching in $10 per kid to buy supplies. Right now we have 4 moms for sure, probably 5. We'll rotate. It will be ages 2-8. Last time we did this, we rotated homes-- met in a different home each week (the "lead" mom, who teaches the Sci lesson). This time I think we're going to be able to meet in the nursery at church since the big kids are meeting at church.

10:30-11:00 devotion and prayer partners for all moms while children play quietly at feet. We'll have a teen or take turns to take active children to the playground right out the door.
11:00-11:45 SCIENCE taught by Mom A BTW using a Dinah Zike book.
11:45-12:00 cleanup time by all
12:00-12:30 lunchtime (each bring own lunch)
12:30-1:00 recess
1:00-1:15 circle time
1:15-2:00 CREATIVE ARTS taught by Mom B (art, crafts, creative expression type stuff-- dance, drama...)

The NEXT week, SCI is taught by Mom B and Mom C is the other teacher.
The 3rd week, it's Mom C and Mom D.
The 4th week, Mom D and Mom E
the 5th week, Mom E and Mom A.

This way, each mom teaches 2 weeks and then has 3 weeks where she can leave after Bible study and come back at 2. Three hours to go do errands, go home and clean, meet someone else for lunch, go take a nap, go to the library or book store alone... some moms schedule prenatal appointments, dentist appts, hair appts!

It works :)

SueQ
07-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Am I being unreasonable? Should I at least try it, or should I go with my gut feeling?
No you're not being unreasonable. Yes, go with your gut feeling.

It sounds too "schoolish." My children do go to a co-op on Wednesdays but they do not have to wear uniforms, they don't ask for a signed paper from the pastor. The only thing they get signed is from both DH and I giving our consent to call the doctor in case of emergancies and the check. Our co-op is art, music, PE and science and its laid back. It sounds like the one you were looking into is more rigid.

It will be hard to tell Lydia but just say that you found out that is isn't as neat as you thought it would be so instead you are going to get together with _______ and go on field trips on Fridays. Children love field trips! ;)

Piper2
07-08-2006, 05:27 PM
That sounds like a lot of money, a lot of driving and a lot of hoops to jump through. I mean, I seriously doubt my pastor knows (or cares) that we homeschool. And they have to wear a uniform? I'd understand maybe a t-shirt, but not something you'd have to go to the school uniform store to get. :/

Mothering by Heart
07-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Apart from the whole nursery schedule, I would say no just from the "pastor's approval" requirement. :no

hiddenhippie6
07-08-2006, 06:57 PM
That is alot of money for just choir. I would maybe just look into something to do at the park district. They usually have lots of fun things to do and that way she will have something to look forward to as well.

lmgeenw
07-08-2006, 10:00 PM
I think I would be looking elsewhere too!

ArmsOfLove
07-08-2006, 10:50 PM
You could prob. enroll her in a couple (at LEAST) classes like dance, etc, or gymnastics or Girl Scouts, etc, etc for $140.

Or buy some really, really cool art supplies!!!
:grouphug :)
this was exactly my thought!!! And is that $140 for the year? or semester? You could probably get her into some classes (there was an art class here that was $5 a week :tu ). And sometimes coops offer classes that are free or cheaper :tu And for $140 you could get some awesome art curriculums :grin

I don't think that sounds like something I'd want to be involved in, personally. Really controlling and I have to wonder what they consider behavioral issues :think