PDA

View Full Version : Slinging at Disney - report

fruitofthewomb
05-20-2006, 04:58 AM
I posted on this before when I wore ds at DW at Thanksgiving (he was 8 wks). I never got the hang of wearing dd (now 4.5), but my OTSBH has been an absolute lifesaver with ds. Just went to DW for the past two days, ds is now 7.5 mos. What a liberating experience to walk around breastfeeding him everywhere. I remember being self conscious about bf in public w dd, but I could honestly care less. I am respectful of other people, not whipping my boobah out or anything, but it is really not a secret (why should it be?) what I am doing in the sling. The back of my shirt is always caddywhampus from being pulled up in the back, so it's kind of obvious, I would think. Anyway, I am so grateful for my sling. I just ordered a solarveil because we are both sweating down here with my OTSBH. I can't wait. Anyway, babywearing rules. I'm really surprised at how little attention I got while walking around breastfeeding. I think a self-conscious mama draws more attention. It's great to be free!

SouthPaw
05-20-2006, 05:42 AM
:highfive what a great report! i'm glad nobody hassled you. maybe you made an impact on impressionable young minds :mrgreen

Marmee
05-20-2006, 05:55 AM
Disney is great! I have slinged there too and breastfed all around the park. They are so child-friendly. I think my ds's favorite part at 24 months, was watching the birds outside of the rides (while we waited for Dad and dd)!!! He fed them crumbs and was quite happy! :giggle

BornFreeBaby
05-20-2006, 08:17 AM
:highfive ya! Isn't it fun! I took my 6 wk old to D-land and walked around BF in the sling. It was great! And I do think that I am more noticable if I'm fumbling around and nervous. (Which does still happen sometimes)

fruitofthewomb
05-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I was really shocked not to see a single mama with a sling out of all the people at Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom in two days! You'd think there'd be one! I saw about 3 or 4 baby carriers (backpacks, Baby Bjorn-types, etc.) on dads, but nothing on moms. But I did get to "witness" to a bartender at Rainforest Cafe. His wife is having a baby and they're all about bfing, and he was curious about the "thing" I was wearing, so I gave him a bunch of info on a napkin. In the past few days I've had several people ask me about them and where to get them. Spreadin the love! :peace

Radosny Matka
05-21-2006, 05:56 PM
:tu :rockon

HiIamEllie
05-22-2006, 06:27 AM
Yeah, I bet people really liked it too. I just flew with ds and people everywhere were commenting how cute he was in the sling. I even overheard a little girl telling her mama (who was pushing a baby in a stroller) that she needs to get a sling like mine for the baby. I thought it was cute.

At church too, I thought I would get more resistance than I did about the sling, but people really think it is handy. Now, I haven't bf in the sling at either of those places. I'm still trying to get the hang of it.