PDA

View Full Version : Best wrap for nursing newborn?

attachedmomtofour
05-15-2006, 09:31 AM
I am an experienced babywearing mommy - that is, experienced with ring slings (which I love)! I would like to try a wrap with this new baby. I'm overwhelmed by the choices out there! Can anyone help?

1) Is it better to have a stretchy or a woven wrap (I live in AZ so weather is an issue)?
2) Which is easier to nurse in - woven or stretchy?
3) What is the best brand?
4) Do I need to buy or can I make? For a first time wrapper, is it better to buy a good wrap and then make others as I learn how to wrap?
5)Should I wait until after baby is born (in Aug) to buy/make - or can I get it ahead of time and practice with a doll or bag of flour?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Heather Micaela
05-16-2006, 12:14 PM
NO personal experience but I heard stretchy is good for newborn and not stretchy for todddlers :shrug

i don't see why you cant practice early - other than the belly in the way :grin

abbiroads
05-16-2006, 12:28 PM
i've had more luck with my ring sling so far :shrug

HiIamEllie
05-22-2006, 06:17 AM
ring sling works great with my newborn. You may want to find a friend with a baby to practice on, I don't think a doll would really hang the same way that a baby does.

cdmaze
06-08-2006, 03:36 PM
I am waiting to have a newborn so I can find out for myself!

I have heard both woven and stretchy are good....I would think that for hands free nursing, a good woven would provide the support and hold the baby to the breast enough.

But like I said.... I have no experience yet!!

CountryGirl
06-20-2006, 01:55 PM
I only had a ring sling with my son and used it from the very beginning. It was great for hands free nursing...out in public it was easy to remain descreet (as long as I had a nursing shirt on that didn't show my belly) and I could get all of my housework done while he was nursing, including making dinner. It held him up snugly enough so that he could reach, but I could still see in. I'm looking forward to trying a wrap with the next baby...

Jenni

ChristianMother27
06-20-2006, 01:58 PM
i had a ring sling too. of course i never put DD in the upright position. i always felt it was easier just to lie her down.

are wraps one shoulder, 2 shoulder, both..?

attachedmomtofour
06-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Jen - wraps can be worn either on one shoulder or two. The one I ended up purchasing for this baby is a Didymos. http://www.didymos.de/english/index_e.htm

I used ring slings with my third dc (wish I had heard of them with my first two children) and loved, loved, loved them. As a matter of fact, my Maya Wrap and Over the Shoulder baby Holder were the only two baby items I held on to when we got rid of all our baby stuff about a year before we conceived this little one. Since I was such a rs addict, I thought it might be fun to try a different type of sling/wrap, which is why I was asking about wraps for newborns.

ChristianMother27
06-21-2006, 11:28 AM
hehe they are nifty :) actually after i started using my maya wrap i started learning about all these other wraps! before that all i'd heard about was the baby carriers they sell at target and walmart - the padded/bars kinds! :giggle