PDA

View Full Version : mei tai questions

Moon
05-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Why do you love your MT anyway?? :lol

It looks like there's two sets of straps that have to be tied. Do those both have to be retied everytime you put it on? I mean, can at least one of them stay tied while you slip it off so next time I slip it back on I'd only have one set to tie on. Yes, I AM one of those people who kick their shoes off without untying them. :P

I've always been a ring sling momma. With our family dynamics I need something that can be tossed on, cinched up, and not need fiddled with while I'm chasing Moose to the toilet or trying to get myself out of the van before all the kids do. I had a plain wrap when Moose was little, while it worked great once it was on, the time it took me to get into it was irritating to me.

While I'm here, can you do a kangaroo carry in a mt? (baby facing forward in front of mom) She loves to face out but she'd be yanking my hair out if I put her on my back.

Radosny Matka
05-16-2006, 10:19 AM
There are 2 sets of straps that have to be tied. You do need to untie/retie every time you put it on take it off. It would be really hard to slip it off with a set still tied. In order to be comfy, the straps need to be done up tight. Once you get past the initial learning curve, the MT is really easy to put on and take off. I personally don't care for the MT. :hiding I know that a lot of people love theirs. It did loosen on me over time (maybe I didn't do the knot correctly tho). I found it hard to get him really tight on me, especially on the back. The front carry was no problem. I also experienced some shoulder/upper back pain with my MT. I recently sold mine and got a Patapum.

Technically speaking, MT's are only for hip, tummy to tummy, and back carrys. I will admit that I did a front carry one time. While he didn't complain at all, it just didn't *look* comfy. It looked weird. As for a kangaroo carry, it *might* be possible, but I highly doubt it would be comfy for either you or the baby.

Moon
05-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Well maybe they're not as popular as I thought they were. :lol Thanks for the feedback!

I'd like to get a two shoulder carrier for when she'll be in it for a longer time and I know I could sew one of these up. Hmm... :scratch

lavender mom
05-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Ummm, :hiding I don't love my MT either. :giggle Speaking as another one who takes her shoes off without unlacing (or wears slip ons almost all the time!) the ties on the MT are part of what I don't like about it. It really is challenging to get DD into it, especially compared to my sling of choice, a hotsling pouch.I bought the MT to have a way to carry DD on my back when she was little and that's really the only carry I did, and it really didn't work all that well so I don't do that anymore either. It's just easier to use my Hotsling.

SouthPaw
05-17-2006, 09:05 AM
i do love my mei tai! i used it most when she was little and needed the extra support to sit up and look around. and for longer walks, it distributes weight better than my ring sling.

now that dd is bigger and wants to look around, i use the ring sling. but i really did love the mei tai when she was little. i might try it for a back carry if we ever go on a longer trip now... but haven't walked a lot lately.

Kiddie Cradles
05-17-2006, 01:49 PM
I discovered a MT when my son was three and it was great. My son had outgrown the framed backpack and this was wonderful! It distributed his weight and was very comfy.
I even used it the other day (and he just turned 4) while he was sick and I needed to do some stuff and carry him around.

Everyone has different opinions!

Although I do love ring slings!

InglesideMomma
05-17-2006, 02:26 PM
I LOVE mine, all of them. I have ones I made, ones I bought, (I'm addicted to slings! Big time, and there's no 12 step program that's gonna help me :giggle ) I hike a lot, and if I don't want to wrap, or ds is being too fussy to be wrapped, I put him in his Mie tai. It doesn't take me too long, and I like that I can wear him high or low on my back. I wear him tummy to tummy when he's sick, and I need to be able to walk around and do things, or else he's in his ring sling while sicky. I've done the kangaroo carry with him, but when we do it, I tuck his legs up so their crossed so it's more comfortable. He prefers to be on my back though. There are tricks to getting it just right, you need to figure out what works for you. I'm totally loving my CuddleNCarry lately! Although it's too nice for working at the farm. :shrug

joyful mama
05-17-2006, 07:30 PM
I just got my MT and... I don't love it as much as my pouch sling. I never liked ring slings either, but LOOOOVE my pouch slings. I tried the back carry the other day, and other than the fact that I wish it had padded straps, it was pretty nice. I got it for hiking, so we'll see... It was hard to get her in it though, especfially on my back. So I tried her on the front, and it was ok, but after about 20 minutes I had neck and back pain... :think. I think I'll just use it for hiking and long walks, but for times when I need to sling her quick, I'd rely on my pouch...

cro
05-31-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm another RS lover, but once Chunk got too heavy for 1 shoulder, I needed something else. MTs are now my fave carrier (for older babes, anyway). Yes, the tying can be a pain, but the comfort is so worth it. I can carry my 22-lb'er for 2hrs easily.

If I'm running errands, I'll tie the waist straps so the knot is at my side. Then I can leave the MT on while driving and I only have to retie the long straps.

I've heard of some ppl twisting the MT to make a narrower crotch area for a kangaroo carry.

Mother of Sons
05-31-2006, 09:35 PM
I thought I would hate the MT but I really like it. I've just about totally abandoned my RS for now. It's so much more secure and comfy, I never have any shoulder pain. I think tying it is pretty easy. Way easier than adjusting the RS for me. I also do carry her facing out in it sometimes and she's never seemed uncomfortable.

mamaKristin
05-31-2006, 09:59 PM
:popcorn so...how to do a higher up back carry? My DD2 is loving our backpack frame carrier, but I want to shake things up (for my shoulders!! she's a BIG girl :grin)