PDA

View Full Version : so how much do you sling your walker?

joyful mama
05-12-2006, 09:43 PM
No, my 8 month old isn't walking yet. she's not even crawling yet ;). But I'm curious how often you sling once they can walk? Now, I don't usually sling at home, as she is very mobile, and loves to explore/crawl. I only sling if she's grumpy (which is rare), I just want some cuddels, or her big sister is attacking her (which is not so rare :/). When we're out and about, often I'm slinging, if we're at the park, on a walk, etc. she's usually in the sling. If we go hiking- I'll put her in the sling. But, I'mimaging that by the tiem the fall rolls around she'll likely be walking. So how much do I sling then? I really wanted a fleece sling, but I've got several others, and am thinking I might just wait and treat myself to a nice microfleece one the next time I'm prego... just curious... :popcorn

lavender mom
05-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Less and less. I'm finding that she often wants to walk and as long as it's safe for her to walk, I'm letting her. There are times when I'll sling her just to make sure she's close by, but not as often as I used to. Waiting to buy your fleece sling for your next baby probably isn't a bad idea. On the other hand... :mrgreen you could probably get a really good deal on a fleece pouch this time of year. I saw a couple of fleece hotslings for around $20 not too long ago. I wish I could remember where!

InglesideMomma
05-13-2006, 12:44 AM
I sling my 2 year old quite often. When we go out to a store or the mall. We hike everyday (weather permitting) at the "farm" which is really more like dense wooded area with some paths. I wrap him, and we go for a hour or 2 long walk/hike, and sometimes he'll get down (actually Grandpa pulls him out of the wrap so he can play in the dirt, or on the tractor) and we'll walk home, or I'll wrap him back up for the walk home. I'm sure that doesn't help you much though. Sorry. ;)

akmyilee
05-13-2006, 03:47 AM
mostly just when we are somewhere that I need to contain her. She is heavy though so if it is a stoller friendly enviorment and I don't ahve the babysitting boy I will put her in the stoller. Learning how to put her on my back really helped and I would love to have an Ergo (and would probably carry her more that way) and that would help a lot.

BeckaBlue
05-13-2006, 08:56 AM
until about 1-2 months ago i slung ds at the store every time all the time. till ds was about 27-28mts i slung him virtually everywhere except the park. my ds is almost 33mts and is now wanting to walk everywhere we go, so he does, but i still carry the sling everywhere in case he tries wondering around.
he's about 27/28lbs so he's not too heavy to still sling frequently, but he's choosing not to so much
we slung him a lot partly because he *hated* the stroller/cart and i wasn't wiling yet for him to try walking off by allowing him to walk. I also bring my girls with us just about everywhere so it seemed harder to keep tabs on all 3 when i couldn't trust ds to stay close enough, kwim?

milkmommy
05-13-2006, 09:00 AM
less and less by about 11 months I really wasn't much at all though at 3.5 I still do on occassion especially when shes sick.
Deanna

apmommy
05-13-2006, 01:07 PM

waterbaby
05-13-2006, 07:08 PM
My 15 mo started walking about 3 weeks ago. She used to be in the wrap about 5 hours a day before that...now it's hardly an hour a day and sometimes not at all. But it really just depends. Whenever we go on walks, she's in the sling and she's content. But the moment we stop she wants down to walk. I can put her in the sling for errands too for a little while.
I guess I'll just have to have another baby to keep my slings occupied! ;)

Radosny Matka
05-13-2006, 07:42 PM
I sling him in stores, for hikes, and around the house when he is fussy and I need to get some things done.

Annhabben
05-16-2006, 08:14 PM
My 11.5 month old started walking a few weeks ago, and she loves to walk! When we go on walks, I'll use the stroller, so she has a little more room, and she can keep her water. When we're in stores, I generally let her push the cart, or ride in the seat, but I keep the sling handy and have to use it about every third trip. I rarely sling her around the house anymore. When she gets fussy and needs to be held, I take a break and snuggle!

cro
05-31-2006, 10:00 PM
As much as he wants.

Once he was mobile, he didn't want to be carried as much. I felt like I was cheating on babywearing or something. But I did whatever suited his needs. Before long, he wanted the security of being in the sling, so we were back in action.

Now I wear him only occasionally at home when I need to get housework done, but he just wants to be held. I always wear him when we're shopping, and I make sure I have a sling on hand anywhere else we go.

milkmommy
05-31-2006, 10:22 PM
at 3.5 not much :giggle I really can't for long it hurts way too much. If she sick she likes to be in the sling and I'm taking it with me into the airport when I travel latter this month..
Deanna

fancifulfrog
06-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Whenever she asks. She still loves it.

olivegod2
07-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Not much these days :happytears. She really likes walking and exploring. When she gets sleepy or if we are in a crowded area I will put her in the sling. If she wants to be in the sling, then I would sling her too!

Wholly Mama
07-01-2006, 11:47 AM
When we're out, only if it's needed for safety (like at a fair or crowded place), or if she's tired. And then I usually use my Ergo since it contains her better, and she can't wiggle out of it.
At home, whenever I need to test out a sling that I've made ;), or sometimes she finds a sling and brings it to me asking to be worn. But that's not very often.

IslandMama
07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
DD is 11 mos now, and walks. I still wear her alot, around the house when she is fussy, or I'm doing housework, out shopping or doing errands. Most places are not safe for her to walk being this little, and she still wants me to carry her alot. Wearing her keeps her safer too. :yes

joyful mama
07-05-2006, 09:04 PM
thanks :hug. she's getting closer to walking, but still very much a cuddly babe, so I'm slinging her often still. :heart she loves exploring though, so when we're home she usually fusses if I hold her- unless we have company over and then she's shy :giggle