PDA

View Full Version : If You Sent Your Kids To Preschool

Marsha
05-03-2006, 11:47 AM
and then wanted to HS when real school started, did you or they miss the hours in a structured classroom with kids their age w/out their mom?
My daughtrer (4 in June) has been going one day a week to preschool for 4 hours. Thsi fall, I am sending her two days a week. Most of me still assumes I am homeschooling (largely because there is no way I can get to school at 7:45!!!!!!) and I would miss her if she was gone all day. Plus, I feel like once she starts that all day every day school, I lose a big part of her. I know I am supposed to lose a big part of her, but not this way and not so soon.
Anyway, is there Mom's Day OUt for homeschoolers LOL?

Sara
05-03-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm sure that there are people on this board who have done the preschool thing and then homeschooled. Hopefully they will see this thread and answer. :-)

I would be somewhat concerned about this, largely because one of the main goals of preschool is preparedness for kindergarten. In many preschools, a lot of time is spent preparing children for the experience of attending school for a large portion of each day. Because that might be a very regular and "normal" part of teaching and conversations, I would be concerned that a child might have difficulties understanding why they don't get to go to school after having so much exposure to this school preparedness. Granted, there are children who struggle with understanding why they don't get to go to school regardless of whether or not they've been to preschool, but I do think that attending preschool gives children the impression that building school is the natural progression after preschool. I would just be careful to guard against this and to help your dd understand that not all children go on to building school after preschool.

Is there a homeschool group in your community that you could hook up with? Maybe they have some classes or activities that your dd could be a part of. I think it is a good idea to make connections and surround yourself with supportive people when possible.

And I just want to clarify that I'm not saying you *shouldn't* send your dd to preschool. Only you can make that decision. But if you're seriously considering homeschooling, I would definitely try to get together with other homeschoolers and find out what is available in your community, regardless of whether or not your dd is in preschool.

Mothering by Heart
05-05-2006, 10:53 PM
I agree with everything Sara said :)
I never sent my kids to preschool so i can't answer that part. In any homeschool groups I have been in, there have always been "tag-a-longs" The kids were not school age yet, but the moms joined the group and did activities with homeschoolers.
You might want to check it out.

Marsha
05-06-2006, 06:10 AM
I guess the term I was looking for is co-op. There are some here I didn't know about where your kid attends for two mornings a week or one morning or three depending on the program.
I like A to be away from me sometimes. But I also want to homeschool. I was looking for a compromise.
She currently attends preschool one day/week and in the fall will attend two days.

Sara
05-06-2006, 06:54 AM
So you were able to find some co-op arrangements in your area? That's great! I have been told that our local HS group might be starting some co-op classes next year. I think it sounds like fun. Currently, the closes co-op classes are 75 miles away. Too far with a little one who hates the car and gas prices that are already killing our budget!

Marsha
05-06-2006, 09:28 AM
here in TN, homeschooling is huge and almost mainstream! So within 7 miles, there are three co-ops and more in 12 miles. That's what I was looking for! They aren't free but mom's day out isn't either!
Of course, I would need to get to know them and their philosophies first. I would go with non Christian first simply because I don't care for punitive Christian stuff, or errant theology.

Jilly
05-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Both of my older kids have done preschool 1-2 days a week. They had no real transition into homeschooling because the other days we homeschooled. They also loved taking classes so when my oldest son was too old for preschool I enrolled him in a kindegarden explorers class at the local nature center for 2 hours a week. He still enjoys taking classes - he just finished a pottery class and takes art classes as well.

Jilly

blessedMom
05-06-2006, 08:10 PM
My daughter was attending 'homeschool classes' before she went to preschool just because her older brother (and one year older sister) were attending classes. A homeschool co-op (or in our case a 'private' homeschool - an umbrella school which is seen as private school, but we homeschool and don't have to attend classes that are offered) would give you and your daughter possible fun together, and depending upon the group, time apart.

In our area there are also 'options' programs which are one or two days a week under the 'public school' but registered as homeschooling. They offer some curriculum as well as classes, especially for art, drama and gym that are difficult for just one family.

My daughter has no problem with the transition. Her preschool experience was primarily to help out a friend who just started a preschool in her basement. It was great because Kiyanna was blessed, her preschool is now thriving, and I enjoyed the time with my son.

ebethmom
05-14-2006, 10:34 AM
We are facing a similar situation here. My 4 1/2 year old ds goes to a Montessori preschool. He loves it, and so do I. They see discipline as a teaching issue - I don't have to worry about punitive practices. His three hours away in the morning have given me a tiny bit more time with dd.

We are going to start our homeschool this summer, then he will go back for one more year of Montessori preschool. His school knows that we are planning to homeschool. The teachers there are so thoughtful and deliberate in their actions - I know that they will take our homeschool plans into account.

This summer, we're starting with Five in a Row and a butterfly project. We may add RightStart Math. I want to keep ds's morning routine similar - 9:00ish to 12:00 with some built in playtime.

Maggie
05-16-2006, 09:16 AM
I didn't know you were going to homeschool! :) The co-op sounds neat. Is it for classes or field trips or something or just hanging out/playing?

Marsha
05-16-2006, 10:52 AM
I don't know. I assume classrrom stuff, if it was field trips and stuff, I would have to go. And I'm looking for drop off stuff for a couple of hours a couple of times/week.
The reason I want to HS is because I can put Riley in mom's day out and then have two mornings/week with Ainslee for another year or two before I lose most of her to the bigger world. I must not be a successful mother of two, because I truly cannot integrate the two of them. So I am looking for ways to get back to having some time with Ainslee!
Plus, I think 6 hours for kindy is just ridiculous!

Love_Monkey
05-16-2006, 10:59 AM
This thread might interest you:

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=50551.0;topicseen

Anginj
05-16-2006, 10:25 PM
I sent my oldest ds to preschool for two years before he came home for Kindergarten. I didn't send any of my other (3) children to preschool, however, because once I'd started homeschooling I know longer felt the need to send my kids out for another kind of school. I very much understand and appreciate your desire/need for time alone. I think that is the hardest part about being a homeschooling mom (at least for me!) :)
I have found it very useful for both me and my children to sign them up for lessons of some sort. In our case this has meant either swimming, or gymnastics, or an art class through a homeschool co-op. My children get a gym class or some other enrichment, and I get a chance to either chat with other adults (a lifesaver for me!) or just to disappear on my own for awhile.
My children are presently taking a nature class at a local farm once a week and I've been able to drop them off while I go out for lunch or a cup of coffee. It's been really nice for me, and it's just enough of a break to help me feel refreshed by the time I go to pick them up.
hth!!
:peace

Marsha
05-17-2006, 05:23 AM
I sent my oldest ds to preschool for two years before he came home for Kindergarten. I didn't send any of my other (3) children to preschool, however, because once I'd started homeschooling I know longer felt the need to send my kids out for another kind of school. I very much understand and appreciate your desire/need for time alone. I think that is the hardest part about being a homeschooling mom (at least for me!) :)
I have found it very useful for both me and my children to sign them up for lessons of some sort. In our case this has meant either swimming, or gymnastics, or an art class through a homeschool co-op. My children get a gym class or some other enrichment, and I get a chance to either chat with other adults (a lifesaver for me!) or just to disappear on my own for awhile.
My children are presently taking a nature class at a local farm once a week and I've been able to drop them off while I go out for lunch or a cup of coffee. It's been really nice for me, and it's just enough of a break to help me feel refreshed by the time I go to pick them up.
hth!!
:peace

That sounds wonderful! I think the very REAL need for moms to have some time alone is kind of not discussed among HSers and honestly, that's my biggest fear about it, not academics at all. I've only been parenting for 4 years, and I'm burnt!